Stuff We Learned From Our Parents (Right and Wrong!)

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by Camp-N-Nuts, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Right: Treat people the way you want to be treated; open a wet bath towel so it doesn't mildew; don't eat too much fruit.

Wrong: using butter on sweet corn; using sugar on grapefruit; shammies have "bug juice" in them; salamanders are dangerous; wasps will leave you alone if you don't bother them; beets are good for you.

Please add what you have learned! [:D]

(My point here is we often do things without variation...it's just habit)

2. froggie

froggie New Member

Clean fingernails and underwear.

3. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

...I'm thinking that must be "right"! [:D]

4. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Sweet oil for an earache, right.
    Butter on a burn, wrong.

5. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

From Dad- dogs are cool And you should always have one or two.
    From Mom- reading is one of the great joys of life
    MR

6. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

From mom: Always cut away from you, not towards. (Right)

From Dad: Measure twice, cut once. (Right)

From both: If you make that face again it's going to stay that way! (Wrong?)

7. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Right: If you only went camping on sunny weekends, you would never get to go camping. [:D]

8. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Amen to that! [;)]

9. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

Heckofaguy, Did you have my parents?!!? LOL! sounds like what I heard growing up!

10. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I used to get the "wash your mouth-out with soap" thing...for talking-back! I didn't mind Ivory but Fels-Naptha (huge laundry bar) was gross! [:(O]
    Oh! This was definitely wrong!

11. gzank6

gzank6 Member

mom-spend 10 bucks (5 bucks when i was a kid) on meat, potatoes and beans... eat on the cheap for a week. - right
    dad-learn to dribble with both hand, coach will always find a spot for you on their team - right

12. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Dad: If you watch your pennies, your dollars take care of themselves.

13. 1madscot

1madscot Member

My dad taught me something I carry with me to this day. We were camping one year at our favorite campground (family still does to this day, 44 years later, just without my parents). We had arrived earlier in the day, and were set up and enjoying the decompression time from the road. A family pulled in to the site next to us, and it quickly became apparent they were not seasoned campers. They couldn't get the pup set up, nor the tent they had brought. The mother couldn't light the Coleman stove, kids were getting a little cranky, and tempers were getting shorter. I asked my dad "shouldn't we go over and help?" His response was "No, not yet". When I asked why, he said "To assume he can't do it himself, and that we have to help him is an insult, it robs him of his chance to be a hero to his family, and diminishes him in their eyes. We have to give him the chance to do it himself, or realize that he needs the help. If he asks, we'll do all we can to teach them how to set up, and he still saves honor by teaching his family that it's ok to ask for help when you need it." Maybe 10 minutes later he came over to ask if we knew anything about his pup, and my dad said sure, they all work basically the same way. Over we went to help them set up, my mom made the kids some French Toast to help tide them over, and in short order, they had a good looking little camp set up. We all became friends that weekend, fishing and running around together. He admitted they had never camped before, but wanted to do something as a family, and thought they would give it a try. He was ready to pack it in on the first night if my dad hadn't been able to help, but had such a great time that week, they decided they would buy the camper and make it an annual event.

Side story, my dad had rigged up a 12v lightbulb to run off a spare battery so they would have some light to play cards by when the kids went to bed. The wife kept staring at the bulb, not able to figure out how he had electricity in the campground, as it was a primitive campground. Finally, she asked how he was able to get power there when nobody else else was able to. He explained to her, "First, you have to locate a 'wild currant' bush...."

14. gzank6

gzank6 Member

great principle and story.

15. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Dad: A dull knife will cut you faster than a sharp one.

16. Anjuli

Anjuli New Member

Truth! :)
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD