stupid question about campground prices

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by jpeverroad, May 7, 2012.

1. jpeverroad

jpeverroad New Member

we just bought out 91 coleman sun valley. it has electric but that only runs the lights and possibly an air conditioner if i can talk dh into putting one in. All I seem to see at campgrounds are tent sites and rv sites.
    the tent sites run about $10 a night and rv sites are $50 (at one place I would like to go) I wouldn't need electric to stay there and the popup is basically a tent on a trailer so why do we have to pay for full hook up if we arn't going to use it?

Ok so question after rant.
    Are there only 2 types of sites? tent and rv?
    is there some in between that is better for popup? we don't have bathroom so no need for sewage. And DH doesn't want to use the water tank in it so we would be carrying all out water in anyways.

2. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

$50??What ??? That's a lot .. Must me pretty nice. Usually 2 types of camp sights,,,RV,Tents
    The tent sights are pads that are a little off the road so unless you can pick your pup up and put it on your back and walk around 50-75 feet to the tent sight,, You will fall into the RV category [;)] But if you can carry your pop up on your back to a tent sight, Then I would guess that no one would dare to mess with ya.. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

3. smoreking

smoreking Member

I guess it is different according to the area you go to. The places I've been so far call them primitive, electric and water, or full hook-up (sewer). I've been allowed to set up on any site I'm willing to pay for.

4. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Much depends on the CG itself. Some tent sites are walk in while others are not. We've utilized "tent" sites before that have parking aprons right next to the site itself just as an rv site would....as long as your camper and TV can fit on an apron, you should be fine.

Also, many CGs have "standard" sites.....which can be either tent or rv. "Standard" sites are very common in national forest service CGs as well as many SPs and NPs. Generally speaking, these types of sites are no biggie for a p'up.....but bigger rigs have to watch apron sizes and many "standard" sites are simply too small for big MoHos, 5ers, and TTs.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

+1

Both of our pop-ups have been on the small end, but after close clearances between the TV and pup in back in sites in a couple of KOAs , I learned to add a couple of feet to the true length of the pup when asked for size.

In some campgrounds we've encountered, there are actually several categories, this is usually in private ones - they have electric only sites, water and sewer, more powerful power, and so on.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That's the normal per night rate around these parts in a Provincial Park .. that would be for a hydro only site...

7. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

Never been to that park of Canada. But I have camped in Alberta and B.C. $10 and all the firewood I could burn.. Now that's a good deal

8. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

We have also run into a space problem at times. Some sites are tinier than others, so we always ask for a larger site that is for a pop-up. Not sure what those huge pup owners do, now that we're talking about it.

We've had a bed close to a tree and have also had to move the pup in order to get the dinette to pull out all the way.

We've only camped at places where we've had water and electric, or no water but electric. The dump station is a place that you drive to and then stay put to empty. We have not used our bathroom, although it works. I do not need one more thing to clean, or to get my kids to clean to my expectation, so ours serves as a table and a mini storage area for cleaning supplies.

We pay about $56 for 2 night stay here in GA and the other places we've camped in the SE.

We have found KOAs to be lacking - too crowded, we don't care about the pool full of kids, and not enough trees. We prefer not to camp in the heat of the summer, as we prefer to hike and bicycle. We also would prefer to not camp in a cg that was jam packed with people.

9. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

your best option is to actually drive out and survey the sites themselves. find 2 or 3 that would suit both your needs, and the needs of the PuP. then make a reservation for that site.

if it is a long travel plan, then you can also ask the Portal members here if they have ever been to that CG and what their recommendations are too !

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

What we do for site sizes (since Ontario Provincial parks) list there sites as tent only, under 18ft, 18ft to 32ft and over 32ft, is book as site we know the trailer will fit on, in our case the Outback is 25ft set up, so we take a site in the 18 to 32 ft range, but while at the cg we walk around and have a look at other sites to see if we'll fit.. I have even taken a camera on the walks and will take pictures of the sites ( 3 pictures, one of the site number, one of the site from the road and one from the back of the site looking forward) we know the trailer will fit on..

11. papachaz

papachaz New Member

if you'd join friends of ga state parks, you'll get a parking pass (will save you the $5 per trip) and you'll get 10% off your future trips. also join the state parks RV club, and for every 10 nights you stay at a state park, you get a free night.

12. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

Most campground tell us our wheels must stay on the pavement. Well that means 5 feet of slide out can stick over the edge. Also The truck's nose can pull kind of under the other bed. We have a 28 foot pup and a 21 foot TV but we can fit on a 30 foot lot. Got to want to fit.

13. jpeverroad

jpeverroad New Member

thanks everyone for the advice.
    after reading several reviews of the place in question i don't think well be staying there. it is only about an hour from our home and we have floated the river that it stays on several times as a day trip but from what i read the party doesn't stop when you get off the river, which would be fine if it were dh and me but i dont think it would be good to have my children around it.
    but i know what to start asking when looking at new places.