Sub floor help please!!!!!

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Missysmith, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Missysmith

Missysmith New Member

I have ripped up the entire floor from my PUP and have decided on marine plywood. Can someone please help me with the thickness recommended and also, is it stronger to lay a 2.4metre by 1.8metre piece or to lay 4 seperate pieces? Obviously the metal frame underneath has cross braces/metal supports, so if I was to lay seperate pieces I would line up the wood to join on these metal sections. I hope this all makes sense.

gail58 likes this.
  2. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Personally I would go with 3/4" (1.9 cm) thickness, and one single sheet.

3. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

I would think that 1/2" or 5/8" would be sufficient and a lot easier to work with.

Missysmith likes this.
  4. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I would lay the larger piece, just to ensure no potential water ingress points. What's the existing thickness? Plywood is heavy; I can't imagine any positive reasons to go any thicker than what you already have -- that just adds weight.

Missysmith likes this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Single sheet and 3/4". If you are down to the floor, you want to make the foundation as strong as you can for the rest of your rebuild.

AlohaPup, Missysmith and Matt Benoit like this.
  6. Missysmith

Missysmith New Member

Thankyou
    Kindly

7. Missysmith

Missysmith New Member

Thankyou everyone. I really appreciate your time and replies

8. gail58

gail58 Member

We are at the floor stage now... our floor is the original... which of course means it's old n a little spungie with holes in it everywhere... not to mention the revolting vinyl that is cracked, peeling and doesn't go edge to edge :( So hubby after lots of scraping, tugging and swearing is thinking of laminating it with a 6mm sheet of OSB panel from Bunnings. That way we won't be adding too much extra weight to the trailer but it will give us a much better surface to build up from.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If its spongie , find out why first. Most likely is water from somewhere. Covering it up will not solve that. If you fixed the cause and its not too bad , then its a good idea. It helps to know the camper make model and year. The one in the profile appears to be old, so you might be ok!

10. Missysmith

Missysmith New Member

Yay for another Ozzie!!!
    I still haven’t decided, but I was considering marine plywood from Bunnings. The 9mm is about $75 and I need 2 pieces but maybe I should go the 6mm? I bought a few packs of 8mm laminate flooring which was on clearance so maybe 6mm plywood would suffice? Also the underlay I bought for under the laminate boards is waterproof so that is extra protection I guess.
    Opinions please anyone.....????
    Thankyou kindly

gail58 likes this.
  11. Missysmith

Missysmith New Member

There wasn’t really anything wrong with it to be honest. It definitely wouldn’t have been the original floor as it’s a 1970 model, but I decided to rip it out anyway. Since I’m going to the trouble of ripping off the Lino and laying laminate boards I thought I may as well do a brand new floor as well.

gail58 likes this.
  12. gail58

gail58 Member

I know right! :)