Success at last!

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by WannaTravel, Apr 12, 2018.

1. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Active Member

Okay, this might be a long post. March 28, 2017 I began a new job thirty miles from home. It is a retail job and a new store opening. So, we new hires took three weeks of 12 hour days with no days off, and set up the store. It was quite a job interview. I’ve spent the last 25 years homeschooling our four sons and caring for my mother with Alzheimer’s for five of those years.

My husband has always encouraged me to make time for the things I love, and I certainly love being outside. Camping has scratched that itch for me. My husband has terrible allergies and doesn’t care to be outside, but he took $$$ out of our savings to plop down on a 2007 Fleetwood Highlander Sequoia in 2009, and even planned trips for us to take. It had three king beds once you made up the u-shaped dinette into a bed. And those boys needed every inch of the legroom in those beds. By 2012 the kids’ interests turned to sports, girls and jobs, and Mom was deteriorating, so camping time was very limited. June 2012 brought that dreaded Derecho and my neighbor’s tree fell on the camper, killing it instantly. I’ll admit, that was a tough pill to swallow, even if I couldn’t go out much. What was also difficult to admit was that if I wanted to go out myself, a lot of things I couldn’t set up myself because of how tall the highwall was.

I got a new car, 2012 Toyota RAV4 V6 with the factory tow package. I found a 2007 Fleetwood Element Graphite. My husband said I needed to learn everything about it and be able to do it all myself. I was both excited and terrified.

Okay, now for the success part. Last fall, my boys took the camper to Myrtle Beach. On their return, they could not get the roof down. With some help from you friendly folk here on the Portal, they got it down and got it home.

With work and weather, I did not have time to reopen it (and also because I was terrified it wouldn’t come down for me with winter coming), and dreaded opening it to see what I might find. I opened it this last week, Friday, April 6. There was a small spot of mildew on the inside of one bunk end, and a lot of sand. And....the roof wouldn’t crank back down.

Okay, I have to get a handle on this and take care of this thing I love, especially since friends and I are camping next weekend!

I watched a YouTube video by Coleman Guy and cleaned/repaired my driveshaft and other related things in that little box beyond the crank, after heading to the store for silicone spray, brake cleaner, and a pin punch set (and I learned how to install pop rivets).

That was so scary taking that off, but once I did it, WOW! What a confidence booster! That roof finally obeyed my cranking and came down. Quietly and smoothly....

Now to figure out the propane system (without blowing myself or anything else up).

Thanks for listening.

2. Toolmaker13

Toolmaker13 Member

Great job!! Before you know it you'll be telling people how to fix their TT stuff on this site. Keep up the good work and happy camping.

WannaTravel likes this.
  3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

That is quite an accomplishment. I'm afraid of not getting the roof back down too.

WannaTravel likes this.
  4. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a successful fix!

WannaTravel likes this.
  5. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your success!

WannaTravel likes this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Congrats on the fix!

Sometimes we just need to vent...

WannaTravel likes this.
  7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Hope you have many happy adventures this season!

WannaTravel likes this.
  8. WannaTravel

Hello Mamie...thank you. I was indeed terrified, but now that it is done, I wonder why I was so afraid. Perhaps the unknown....but now that it is known to me, it’s not so bad. The lift system is ingeniously simple. I believe I can now pack an intelligent tool kit, and which spare parts would be valuable to have on hand.

9. WannaTravel

Thanks. Going out this weekend, in fact. With friends. And my husband will be in Boston.

10. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I think it's the fear of something going wrong. If I can get through this and I'm still around next year, I might attempt a new canvas.