Suggestion for weeklong camping in Catskills

jeanmariemc

Jun 22, 2012
Hi.

We want to head up to the Catskills for a week in late Sept.

We want privacy but with hookups (is that possible?).

I've heard good things about the DEC campgrounds. What is the deal with those? Any suggestions? By the way, we have a 2 year old that will be with us so it'd be great if there were nearby (less than an hour) attractions as well as privacy and hookups.

Seriously, we are a needy crew! Lol. Any advice would be appreciated.

mnebinger

Livin' The Dream!
Jul 22, 2012
Sorry but I can't resist:

Hollow out a tree and spend the summer in it. From my favorite book as a boy: My Side of the Mountain. I so wanted to do that!!!

Campit

EAT SLEEP CAMP
Sep 16, 2011
We went to New York last summer and stayed at Bernstens Campground in the Catskills. New York City is a 90 minute drive from the campground. The campground is very private, sitting in a nice wooded area, with full hook ups. The owner is very friendy and very helpful. And is allways working to improve the campground. There are some seasonal sites, but folks stay to themselves. You can spend an evening or afternoon at the Mighty M Gaming at Monticello Raceway, visit the Orange County Fair or Speedway, or catch a concert at the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts (where Woodstock was). Canoeing, kayaking, fishing, and rafting on the Delaware River just a short drive away, venture into the Catskill Forest Reserve. And it's all within minutes of the campground. We are hoping to return next year with our oldest daughter and her family. Sending you the link to the campground. Hope this helps. :)

www.berentsenscampground.com/

Campit

jeanmariemc

Jun 22, 2012
mnebinger said:
Sorry but I can't resist:

Hollow out a tree and spend the summer in it. From my favorite book as a boy: My Side of the Mountain. I so wanted to do that!!!

Does the tree have hookups and a king size bed? If so, I'm in! I was expecting more comments around the "privacy with hookups" [;)]

@Campit...thanks so much for this suggestion. I looked at their website and it looks perfect for us. Now I need to solidify my vacation for that week and make the reservation. As of right now they have availability. This will be our furthest travel and longest stay with the Pup so far. I. CANNOT. WAIT. But I guess we(I) need to figure out the furnace first since it could be chilly in late Sept up there.

yetavon

everything is better around a campfire.
Mar 11, 2010
Western NC
Grew up in the Catskills, Camped all over the place...and yet never stayed in a campground....we did sell firewood bundles at woodland valley campground around 72-73

pasobuff

Aug 6, 2012
Upstate NY
A little bit further North - but I'll rent you a spot in our driveway (with electric~!)....view of the Adirondaks...horses in the side yard/pasture...Amish all over.....CHEAP! lol

[:D] [LOL]

jeanmariemc

Jun 22, 2012
Paso buff...sounds great. We could trade driveways if you want to visit the Poconos! No horses or Amish though.

jeanmariemc

Jun 22, 2012
I pulled the trigger on Berentsens Campground. We're booked for Sept 23-29.

Thanks for the advice! Now I have a trip to look forward to and a deadline for some of my many pup projects.

pasobuff

Aug 6, 2012
Upstate NY
lol...I'd probably have to do it while my husband was out of town though - he'd have a canary finding 'strangers' camping in the yard. [;)]

That being said - around the corner from me is a state forest - for someone who didn't need electric/water hook ups, there is at least 1 spot large enough to put a pup and vehicle - I've seen tent campers there in the past.
[

Campit

EAT SLEEP CAMP
Sep 16, 2011
Pluck said:
I pulled the trigger on Berentsens Campground. We're booked for Sept 23-29.

Thanks for the advice! Now I have a trip to look forward to and a deadline for some of my many pup projects.

Great! Hope you enjoy the campground. Let me know how it goes. Remember it's not like the KOAs or Jellystones. It's rustic, woodsy and very private, so private in fact you'll ride right by it if you don't see their sign. Be sure you get there in the day light hours cause when it gets dark, it's dark in those woods. When you get there and talk to the owner (Todd), tell him the Vicks, who stayed there last August from Virginia (in a Pop Up), said "Hi". :)

Campit