Suggestions for base camp location for trip to Boston in August

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by kjmpdm, Feb 21, 2011.

1. kjmpdm

kjmpdm New Member

We are looking to spend a week up in the New England area with visits to Mystic seaport and Boston historical attractions as some of our interests. We're looking for a campground with at least W/E, nice pool, nice bathhouses suited for a family. It can be kind of resort-like, since we want to make day trips.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

Question:

Would you like to set up and try and stay in the middle, or are you wanting to be local to Mystic and then more local to Boston?

It is not quite in the middle, but is a great resort style campground (especially if you have kids--although can be a little $$$ and you would have to book soon) is Normandy Farms. It is near Foxboro, MA.

Good luck in your travels in New England. It is a nice place to camp.

~Pixel

3. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

I can't advise you as to campgrounds. However, driving/navigating around Boston is extremely difficult. Traffic and parking are, to say the least, challenging. Traffic, etc., is one of the biggest reasons I'm glad we moved away 20+ years ago.

However, the "T" - public transportation - is easy and inexpensive to use. There are generally stops at or near any of the places you would want to go in the downtown area. Once you get the names of a couple of campgrounds, find out how far of a drive to the subway. You can park your car and have a much less stressful trip(s) into the city.

Pam

4. kjmpdm

kjmpdm New Member

I am trying to avoid multiple stays, just because of the congestion and narrow highways - so would like to be in one place and then travel by car and public transportation for Boston. There are KOAs near Boston/Cape Cod and Mystic - has anyone ever stayed at either?

Thanks, again!

5. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

I would not recommend the KOA in Middleboro.

Stayed there a couple of years ago. Was not happy.

Good Luck! Try Normandy Farms. Better location too with the highways.

Pixel

6. peteacher

peteacher New Member

I would also advise Normandy Farms but it is very pricey!!! I really would suggest 2 separate campgrounds one for Mystic area and beaches and another for Boston area. The highways are not narrow and would really only be congested during rush hours. We usually stay in State parks so I can't think of any resort type campgrounds other than Normandy Farms to help you out.

7. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

I would advise against the KOA in Middleboro. I think that you are trying to do too much with Boston and Mystic in the same trip. Boston can keep you busy for days. Normandy Farms is a good, safe bet. 4 pools 2 hot tubs, Huge Rec hall but very pricey. Boston Minuteman Campground in Littleton is not too bad. I stayed there a few years back http://www.minutemancampground.com/default.html and with prices almost 1/2 of what Normandy is I think you would be better off. Especially if you won't be spending your time at the CG. Normandy is set up for you to spend all of your time there. Plenty to do without ever leaving the CG. Good luck with your search and if you need any Boston tips, let me know. I worked there for a long time and I live 20 min West.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Travel into Boston is terrible. Downtown Mystic (Rt 1) is having bridge and sidewalk repair. The Aquarium and Seaport are both north of downtown, Exit 90 I95. I95 from Greenwich to New Haven only fair, Branford to Mystic, to I295 in Rhodes Island much better. I95 thru Mass a joke. Just a suggestion but somewhere near the CT/Mass border ( maybe Sturbridge) would be a location to consider. I would suggest the Mass Pike I90 in and out of Boston. I395, Rt32, or Rt12 to the Conn shore.