Suggestions for Campgrounds near Niagra Falls..

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by Tebpac, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Tebpac

Tebpac Member

Hi all,
    Just exploring the idea of taking the PUP to Niagra (either side) instead of staying in a hotel. Any suggestions?

Todd

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

What type of site do you want? I camped at Four Mile Creek SP several years ago. It is near Youngstown, so handy to the Falls by Parkway. Very grassy, some sites are on Lake Ontario.

3. Tebpac

Tebpac Member

Thanks. I just did a short search again here and got some better results than the first time. It appears Fourmile is the place to be. We're planning a long weekend possibly. 4 of us plus the dog. Our girls have never seen the falls and thought it would be nice to head up for a weekend. I'd rather stay in the PUP than the hotels.

4. hr@thepod

hr@thepod Member

If your interested in 4 mile make your reservations ASAP. I live about 10 min away. It fills up quickly. Especially holiday and Canadian holiday weekends.

5. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Message golfnate07 or RockyRoo who both camped and visited Niagra Falls last year. Otherwise there may be reviews on the portal too.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You have a number of campgrounds in the area, 4MCSP is one, a couple of KOA's and if you decide to cross over to Ontario, you have several private cg's plus another KOA.

Out of all of them we prefer 4MCSP. I have stayed there a number of times while on "cross border" shopping trips. One good thing with staying at 4MCSP is the campground pass also gets you into Fort Niagara (for use of the pool, since there is NO swimming at 4MCSP) as well as anyone of the Niagara Parks.

Check out the site photos of 4MCSP, they were taken by a member of this forum as few years ago for a rally that was held at the campground..
    http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Four-Mile-Creek-State-Park

If you are crossing into Ontario please check out the respective dot.Gov websites for information on required I.D, pet paper work and list of what you can and can't bring across the border.

Any other questions just ask...

7. Tebpac

Tebpac Member

Thanks for the replies. We have our passports just in case we go into Canada. If y'all have any ideas on activities besides the falls, I'd love to hear em.

8. hr@thepod

hr@thepod Member

Old fort Niagara is just 4miles down the lake at the mouth of the Niagara river. It is one of the oldest if not the oldest fort on the great lakes. The castle was built by the French but changed hands numerous times. On display is one of the oldest american flags still in existence.
    Buffalo is another 15 mins from the falls, with many options.
    Whirlpool jet boat takes you thru the rapids in the Niagara gorge. Its a bit pricey but worth it.
    Village of Lewiston is home to Artpark state park, a park devoted to the arts and hosts a popular concert series with popular national Turing bands.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You Maid of the Mist boat tours and Caverns of the Wind plus the observation tower and deck all right there at NF on the USA side.

10. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

4 mile creek is definitely the place to be. We stayed there last year, it is a very nice park in a great location. At roughly 10-15 minutes from the falls it allows the opportunity to either take the parkway in or meander your way thru small towns to get there. We were there for 1.5 weeks and we spent as much time exploring the local towns as we did the falls. One of our favorites was a small town to the west where we stumbled upon that had an awesome little ice cream shop in a house.

Enjoy your visit to the area and explore all it has to offer.

11. Tebpac

Tebpac Member

Thanks!

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Wow, that was bad. Small town to the EAST. west would be Canada. Oops

13. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Rocky,
    Are you thinking of Youngstown, NY?
    It is just west of 4mcsp.
    Happy Camping.

14. Heady

Heady Active Member

4 mile is great! Very nice and clean campground. If you take your parking pass to the state park campground on the American side of the falls you will save the $11 parking fee since you are camping.

15. theresah

theresah New Member

I am glad I ran across this post. We are wanting to take our pup up there in October. Are the campgrounds open then?

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

According to the reservation site, the camping season this year is May 1 - Oct. 26 (shorter for one loop)

17. AICPlanner

AICPlanner 1998 Coleman Bayside Elite

Made our reservation at Four Mile Creek back in January and picked out a prime spot facing Lake Ontario. Heading that way in June.