suggestions for good camping/fishing around Hamilton

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by Glamper, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Glamper

Glamper New Member

Hi! Any suggestions out there for good places to go camping and fishing within a 3 hour drive of Hamilton? We have a 14-ft aluminium boat with an outboard motor. preferrably, it would be great to just dock it (or even just pull it up on shore) for the weekend. Private or public campgrounds..no preference - just looking for good fishing and and a firepit [;)] [CP]

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

3. laurmeich

laurmeich New Member

Our family totally loves Valens Conservation Area, awesome camping (many different sites) fishing is catch and release.... but fun!

4. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

Another vote for Valens!

We discovered it last summer and have camped there twice, once this year as well. Outstanding park. Cozy, woodsy sites. This is not your shiny RV park with rows of concrete pads. Very organic camping experience. Mostly tents and popups with the occasional smaller RV (for what few sites are big enough for them).

If you value site privacy look in the Ironwood section (radio free BUT has power pedestals). VERY laid back. Not a "party animal" park so it's pretty quiet. Oh. Did I mention alcohol free year round? ;)

Valens is on our short-list now of parks we HAVE to get at least one trip to each summer. A three hour drive from Windsor.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Valens also offers a winter camping program and IIRC correctly does keep a couple site cleared for those who want to camp an odd weekend or two thru the winter...

6. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

Yes, they have a winter warrior program. Last time I inquired the deal was you bought a yearly pass plus a block of thirty or so nights of camping that you could use any time throughout the winter season. They let you keep your camper on your site in-between visits which is a great convenience. Apparently the program is more popular every year. If I had a hard-sided camper I'd sign up.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Don't need a hardside... there are a couple guys who camp in tents and hammock tents...

8. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

No one said you *needed* a hard side. The comfort level others are happy with is their business though.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

One of these years we will actually get to Valens for New Years, A couple years ago everything was lining up nice, had from 30th to the 2nd off, we didn't have any real snow to speak of so the trailer wasn't buried and then the ice storm happens ...

10. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

Our last attempt to winter camp there was similar except the storm started as we hit London. So there was no turning back. We ended up buried in a pileup on the 401 for hours. As they cleared the mess the OPP advised us not to proceed further east so we shot over to the Pinery as plan B - and the storm continued all night. I thought it was exciting but my wife was terrified.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I wish they would open Bronte for winter camping.. it already has a heated dump station and water fill station .. plus the yurts, heated bathrooms ...

12. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Conestogo Lake offers both camping and a boat launch for powerboats. If you are using oars or an electric motor, try Guelph Lake. (both GRCA)