Suggestions for March in Pup

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by travelchickcanada, Oct 1, 2015.

1. travelchickcanada

travelchickcanada New Member

Thinking of possible trips for Spring Break in March. Driving from Detroit & want to head south. Not as far as Florida but somewhere that will be pleasant for sleeping in the pup and nice during the day too of course.

2. backinthegame

backinthegame If it ain't poppin, it ain't campin

Myrtle Beach.... Either Myrtle Beach Travel Park or Myrtle Beach State Park

3. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Also, if you want to depend on the weather as a key factor, pick up a Farmer's Almanac. I use one every year for trip planning and general weather info. I LOVE that book!!!

They have an online subscription now too....lots of great useful ads on the sales page, but I'd bet the actual subscription pages have the normal ads, as do most online subscriptions.

I just pay like $7 at Lowe's when they come out!

Good luck!!

[:D]

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

For March break, head to Valens conservation Area out side of Cambridge ... usually by that time things have started to warm up here in Southern Ontario .. But if you want to head South I'll suggest Southern Kentucky like Bowling Green or even Northern Tennessee around the Nashville area ..

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

You might even make it down to the NC mountains. You can generally get 3 seasons just about any time of the year! No complaints from me!

[:D]

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

South Carolina would be warmer, but north Carolina can be pretty good sometimes in March. I stayed at Lake Jordan in NC once in a tent late march this year. It was still pretty cold at night but during the day much more tolerable ( if it wasn't raining). Lake Jordan state park is a beautiful lake. If you have hookups a ceramic heater and sleeping bags should keep you warm enough at night. I started out in the morning bundled up, but as the day progresses I'm stripping layers off. Unfortunately sometimes that area can get unseasonably cold in March and other times be pretty hot. I personally don't like camping further north than that in March, as parts of Virginia is known to get snow in March. Northern Virginia has seen snow as late as mid march sometimes. Almost always one last storm hits before jack frost finally moves on.

7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

And sometimes all in the same day....

8. travelchickcanada

travelchickcanada New Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

9. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

March is prime camping in SC.... come on down. Kings Mt State Park is nice... if you want a little further south then head to James Island County Park (near Charleston) or further to Hunting Island SP (Beaufort). I live near Dreher Island SP which is on an awesome lake, but it would be too cold to swim in March.

10. Babiaca

Babiaca New Member

James Island gets booked up well in advance. I still haven't been able to camp there as I always remember it too late, even months in advance!
    We have gone to Skidaway Island in Savannah, GA for Spring Break going on three years in a row now and absolutely love it. This will be our first year not sleeping in a tent so you will be just fine. Be sure to pack t-shirts, shorts, sandals, etc. It's already summer down here by then.

11. Jughed

Jughed Member

Come to SC! We are still camping now... March is even better. Hunting Island, Edisto Island, Hamilton Branch (Lake Strom Thurmond) if you prefer the lakes.

IMHO - Hunting Island is one of the states best coastal CG's. Beaufort is a great little SC town, the beach is incredible, the scenery is second to none. The low country at its finest.

March may be warm enough to swim, and is before the No-see-ums start to swarm in earnest, and before the horse flies wake up.

12. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

On Yetavon's recommendation in March we are going to Powhatan right outside of Asheville. Check them out on the net, it looks great and the area it's in offers alot of activities

13. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Wherever you decide to go, send some pics and be sure to come back and let us know how it went! [:D]