Suggestions for sagging Toyota Tacoma

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by cfmx, Apr 1, 2013.

1. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Our TV sags once the camper is hitched on and truck bed is packed.
    I have no clue what our hitch weight is. When driving the front of the truck is up a lot more than the rear.
    I'm hoping there is something we can do to help. Currently everything on the truck is factory.

2010 Toyota Tacoma dual-cam 4.0-liter aluminum V6
    tow capacity 6,500 lbs

Camper
    Model Sequoia
    Box Size (Inside Length) 14' 0"
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rat... 3,770
    Unloaded Vehicle Weight ... 2,865
    Unloaded Tongue Weight (... 290
    Maximum Carrying Capacit... 905

Pictures don't look as bad. But look at the distance from the front wheel well compared to the back or look at the distance from the road to the front of the step bar compare to the rear of the step bar. Here is a light load:
    [​IMG]

Here it's packed a little heavier and a different receiver to help level the camper.
    [​IMG]

2. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

you need to figure out your tounge weight

also, is the Sequoia capable of using a Weight distributing hitch ? ( is the tounge frame fully boxed or open C channel ? ) fully boxed should be able to handle a WDH.

Toyotas tend to have soft suspensions, how many folks really use them as trucks ?

I have air bags in the rear coils of my 4Runner, and I have replaced the stock soft SR5 coils with stiffer Limited ( Limited 4Runners are heavier, so have a beefier suspension )

http://www.etrailer.com/susp-2010_Toyota_Tacoma.htm you have options

3. phalynx

phalynx Member

If you don't go WDH, I'd go air bags.

4. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

5. Manper

Manper New Member

For one I must say that you have a very nice TV and a a nice PUP. I'm not sure if this was considered when making the purchase but the PUP may exceed the tongue weight of your TV? What is the ratio? Remember the weight of the PUP is dry, once you add all the luggage and water you increase it by that much. In the end the PUP should be 15% less than what the TV is capable of.

This is just an opinion and I don't mean to come off like prick. I hope this helps.

6. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Ok. This may sound really dumb but where can I weigh the tongue of the PUP and total PUP weight? I know there are truck weight station on the highway but can you just pull up and weigh both the tongue and PUP weight? I have asked the trailer part store who installed my brake controller and they didn't know of any place.
    I feel like the camper and truck are over the weight limit but my husband doesn't agree. Could be because he doesn't pack it. LOL [A]

7. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

look for a truck stop with CAT scales, there is a fee ( $10 i think ) or find a local moving and storage company, they may have a scale as well

8. twstdpear

twstdpear Party like it's 2012!

These two links show different methods of accomplishing the same goal - weighing your popup's tongue weight with a bathroom scale.

http://amazon.curtmfg.com/index.cfm.34.html
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114965508600034918003/2000FleetwoodSantaFePopup#5269350780206999394

Basically, you're shifting some fraction of the the weight to the ground (e.g., 2/3), so you need to multiple the weight on the sale by some factor (e.g., 3). I just wouldn't use one of the glass scales. You can pick up a cheapie for probably $15 or so from your local big-box store if you don't have one already.

The only way to weigh the entire trailer is at a CAT scale, moving company, the dump, rock quarry, and some larger landscaping companies.

I second the equalizer. It'll make all the difference in the world. One of the many benefits of it is that you can leave it attached to back up. You can't do that with a lot of the other WDH and sway setups. I have one for my TT and while I do feel the trailer back there, I have zero problems with sway and it does a good job of leveling the truck.

9. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I'll call our local moving companies and maybe the dump.

Here is what I found as far as towing specs for the truck.

Weights:
    gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 5,350
    curb weight (lbs) 3,975
    gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 3,500
    max payload (lbs) 1,375

10. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Your TV Safety Certification label on the drivers door or door pillar has additional info:
    GAWR Front and GAWR Rear. These are the load limits for the respective axles. Remeber that Tongue Weight (TW) is added to the REAR AXLE and will normally UNWEIGHT the front axle.

UNWEIGHTING the Front axle is BAD ! [}:)] It's Mayhem lurkng in your steering and brake system. Unweighting the front is reducing the friction coefficient needed for effective steering AND braking.

If you load up the truck bed, and then add a Sequoia to the hitch, you're talking a pretty big load on the rear.
    A Good WDH setup will help alleviate this sagging issue and help get everything straighend out.

Please review e-trailers.com's videos about WDH's. VERY INFORMATIVE

11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

You need a weight distribution hitch and add air bags.
    The Taco leaf springs are are to soft for what the truck is rated for.

12. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Look into Hellwig Progressive helper springs model EZ990.

13. Manper

Manper New Member

No such thing as a "dumb question"-not when it comes to towing...the owners manual tells you the maximum weight a Tacoma can tow (I hope your husband doesn't think he can tow the space shuttle?) then the trailer will have a sticker that will tell you its weight. When putting in water (if you do that) each gallon is essentially 10lbs so if you have a 30gallon you've got roughly 300lbs.

There is a lot of mentioning about equalizer hitches; not to take away from them as there are benefits however your issue is not with unequal unstable weight...like for instance an ATV or motorcycle in which each end (front/rear) weighs different. You are relatively small so your husbands suitcase on one side and yours on the other is not going to make that big of difference. Even if someone comes back with "water" your water tank is usually near the rear axle of the trailer so the equalization is pointless and a moot point. But that does not infer that you can simply load up one side and everything will work fine, you still have to be conscientious. Be mindful on what you pack-every year my wife and I will go with less and less-before too long we may be able to leave the kids [LOL]

You may suggest to your husband to go to 4Wheel Auto Parts (like physically go there) and they may be able to recommend either spacers or a new set of stiffer springs. Its not as expensive as you may think and is far less expensive than a new truck. When you "sag" you put that added pressure on your rear axle which could damage far more than springs-to much weight can overwear the shocks, the differential and of course the hitch itself.

My TV is an Avalanche and I'd like to think I can haul the world but I was very cautious and made sure that when everything was said and done that I did not add to much weight to my hitch and there was no sagging. I wish I could show you a picture but I can never seem to upload anything....

14. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

In America a gallon of water weighs app. 8.35 lbs...in the UK it weighs 10lbs since they use an Imperial Gallon

As to the issue with the sagging rear end, try squats and lunges....OK just kidding

As already mentioned Toyota suspensions are soft... several things you can do:
    Install beefier leaf springs
    Install air shocks/bags
    Install a weight distribution hitch

You may need to do one or a combination of two or all three

15. cfmx

cfmx New Member

We never had a need to add water to our tank. This camper is suppose to be lighter than our Niagara but it sags our truck way worse. I think it has more tongue weight even though the Niagara had a front storage box which was always stuffed full.
    I try and pack the heavy stuff in the rear or over the axle in the camper w/ only light stuff up front. While towing the camper never sways like the Niagara did. This camper tows great behind our truck.
    Thank you for your replies. This will give me somewhere to start. May try to weigh the tongue before this weekend using the bathroom scale. [V]

16. smokincanuck

smokincanuck Member

It's simple - between your cargo in the bed of your truck and the tongue weight of your trailer your factory rear suspension is squatting under the weight. Wouldn't be surpised if you scaled the setup and found your rear axle weight is OVER it's RAWR. Air Bags do nothing for towing performance other than mask an overload. Your RAWR is what it is. Simply forcing the truck to ride level with stiffer springs or balloons does nothing to change your RAWR or the weight that's on your rear axle - again it only masks a bad setup. Fix the problem - don't hide it.

The right fix is a weight distribution hitch. A WDH will take a percentage of the PUPs tongue weight and distribute it forward to the Tacoma's front wheels and rear to the PUP's axles as well.........this should help with your squatting quite a bit and overall make the setup feel much better while towing.

Balloons are for kids at the park, NOT for fixing suspension issues.

A 600 lb. rated Equal-i-zer would be a nice choice.

17. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Tell that to the next semi you pass.

The USA Tacoma's leaf springs are very soft in relation to the RAWR. Since most Tacos are used as daily drivers and not haulers (mall queens), Toyota does that so the truck rides nice.

Here is the link to a TSB for replacement rear leaf springs. It will change your rear leafs from 3 pack to 4 pack. But since the spring rate is increased the daily driver ride quality will drop, but the truck will not squat as much when loaded.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/attachments/2nd-gen-tacomas/84789d1295106668-2011-tacoma-tsb-print-out-t-sb-0359-10.pdf

So if you want to maintain your current ride quality but still have a increased spring rate when loaded/ towing air bags are the way to go.

I have been in Tacos where when loaded with 5 adults + suitcases and minor stuff in the bed, it touched the bump stops.

18. wileetoyote

wileetoyote http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=13105.0

agreed with Arthuruscg...

As my sig suggests, we're a toyota family and i've done several mods to my Toy PU's, 4Rnr's, and Landcruisers over the years including changing out spring packs, coil springs and replacing IFS with front straight axles as well as unnecessarily replacing out rear axle bearings on 20 yr old Toy's after hardcore abuse. Front axle wheel bearings are a different story however but thats besides the point. Toyota sets up their vehicles for comfort over utility use... Lexus even more so in the case of Landcruiser's. It takes far less than the max tongue weight to make your bed squat like that. The rear (THK typical ) bearings are fine for towing pups and the loads we're talking about. The problem is the soft rear leafs and the typical Toyota squat.

WDH's will level your vehicle and allow you to hitch a load higher than your max tongue weight by distributing your load to the front axle if you chose to do so.

Airbags will level you truck as well but keeps the entire load on the rear axle/bearings so you should keep within the max tongue weight (or thereabouts).

Simple airbags that are manually filled will be a cheaper option than WDH's unless you install an auto/manual leveling system with an onboard air compressor.

I have airbags for my LC I've yet to install. I'm kicking myself for selling two previous Toy's with ARB air compressors on them instead of keeping one for my LC. fwiw, my LC owners manual specifically says NOT to use a WDH.

WET

19. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Active Member

I have firestone ride rite air bags with a viair onboard compressor set-up on my ram. It helps not only when hooked up to a trailer but also for heavy loads in the bed of the truck. One of the best mods I did to my truck IMO

An it may have been said above (I didn't read all the responses) but check out some fourms for the taco, when I have any questions on my ram I go to one of the two dodge ram fourms I belong to. The advice you get from a community that is nothing but people that have, use, and work on your truck will be far superior to that of a general camping fourm (no offense to anyone)

20. wileetoyote

wileetoyote http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=13105.0

Good advice DI... I'm a member of ih8mud.com for the Landcruiser Forums... they do have a mini-truck section and is one of the better Toyota forum sites out there.

WET