Suggestions for tandem-axle leveling

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by dc.jackson, Apr 27, 2014.

1. dc.jackson

dc.jackson New Member

Well, our NTU PUP that we brought home in Feb is back at the dealership with problems, and we have decided to trade it on a HTT. We only set the PUP up once in our driveway, and it was the one and only time we used our brand-new BAL leveler. That leveler was seriously about the only good thing about that initial setup. It was so quick and easy to use!

Now that we are moving from a single-axle to a tandem-axle trailer, I was wondering what everyone recommended for leveling? I'm sure for the most part it will be my DH and I together on camping trips, but if anyone has some easier methods for leveling, especially for a single person, I'd love to hear them.

Also, our new HTT is about the same weight as our HW PUP was (< 4000 lbs GVWR). Do you think it would be possible to use 2 BAL levelers on the low side? I'm just thinking it may be difficult to try and chock the wheels once it's up on wood or lynx blocks...

2. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

3. cma7777

cma7777 Member

I have the same question. We already have one Bel and could buy another, if it would work.

4. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

There have been reports of people seeing dual BALs being used. As long as each axle is less than the BAL limit and you crank them equally (say 3-4 cranks before doing the other) it should work.

If you go with some sort of bkocks, I prefer Lynx style since they lock together preventing slippage as you drive on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

5. efehser

efehser New Member

You chock a tandem axle trailer with THIS, or something similar. It will crawl right over a conventional chock. As far as using two BAL levelers, um, hmmm.

6. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

You can pull any trailer over a standard chock but it will not just roll over one. I do use the BAL X chocks to finish stabilizing the HTT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

7. br9

br9 Member

I'm another user of the x chocks. We use lynx leveling blocks as well. Once you do it once or twice its no big deal. The x chocks definitely help to cut down trailer movement.

8. dc.jackson

dc.jackson New Member

Thanks everyone. Looks like we'll be selling our BAL leveler, and getting the x-chocks.

9. br9

br9 Member

When we moved to tandem axle. We advertised our bal leveler on here. Sold very fast. And it was local. So we met up down the street at a pop up dealership.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Be aware that the BAL X-chocks are ment to be used for added stabilization, not for primary chocking of the wheels ...

I use 3 different styles of chocks (yes 3), as well as lynx levelers and 2 custom made 2x6x6 planks... The 3 types of chocks are -1- 2 sets of simple 4x4 angled cut wood blocks (I call these my throw down chocks, first chocks down last set picked up), Next I have a set of home made between the wheel chocks.. these stabilize the wheels and axles eliminating about 75% of the wiggle and the 3rd set are a no name tandem wheel chock like the bal chocks of the same style... I just bought these chocks this off season so I haven't had the chance to use them yet ..

11. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

Buy another BAL, a couple of turns each........

Don't forget the pics.

12. cma7777

cma7777 Member

We just sold our pup but kept the BAL. I believe if I buy one moor BAL I will be in good shape for our ntm hybrid with tandem axels.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Before rushing out to buy another BAL, make sure you can fit two of them between the axles.. Other issue you may have, trying to get the load distributed evenly between the two ...

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Personally, I would never use the BAL leveler on a tandem axle.
    Using wood and or using lynx blocks (or their copycats) is very easy and I would imagine much safer.
    Lynx blocks and their copycats makes a block that locks in and your HTT or TT is not going to move.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/140338527913?lpid=82
    http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-00018-Chock-Interlocking-Wheel/dp/B000UODGIY
    As far as the X chocks, you need to be very careful using those not to exert a lot of pressure on the axles. You are putting pressure between the axles in a way that was not intended.
    A couple of local RV dealers are charging about $400 to align tandem axles and from what I understand are doing a lot of them today.
    If those axles get out a alignment by a tiny bit, you will wear out and blow out tires quickly.
    Wood planks or lynx type blocks are just simple and work.
    As far a putting a block on wood planks, build (nail) a block into the top plank and place it on the downhill side when you are leveling.
    Simple. done.