Suggestions on cleaning a furnace mice lived in?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Batch1916, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Batch1916

Batch1916 New Member

Hello,
    We are new to camping and purchased a 2002 Viking Saga pop up which has the Suburban NT-16SE furnace. We have only used it once, more less to test it out. Of course, we get it out for the first time this year and we find that mice built a nest in the furnace, visible from the exterior exhaust vents. I removed the vent cover and used a flexible tool to grab a lot of the nest, along with compressed air and a shop vac, both from the exhaust port and from the igniter/burner area. I believe they took up residence in the Combustion chamber. When I turned the furnace on it blew smoke for about 30 seconds before stopping and now the exterior exhaust smells like urine. The heat blown inside the camper only smells like urine for a couple of minutes and then it seems to go away. We ran the furnace for two, 30 minute sessions on the highest heat setting to try and burn anything remaining. Is there anything else I can do to clean the combustion chamber? The diagrams I have seen make it seem like it's very difficult to remove and the item cost half of what the whole furnace does. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

2. tim kinser

tim kinser New Member

I took a look at mine to see if that area is accessible and not on mine either. It sounds like a total tear down to access the heat exchanger properly. Sorry not much help

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Burn the camper to the ground! Just kidding... that is literally one of my biggest fears! I actually (for the first time, and of course in my new tt) had "signs" of mouse presence when I got it out of winter storage. No damage, but some droppings. I am very diligent in rodent prevention but will have to make an even better effort this fall. Sorry I don't really have an answer for you!