Summer camping and Air Conditioner!

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Tdogg, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Tdogg

Tdogg New Member

Hi Floridians!

This is going to be our shakedown cruise in the 2002 Bayside (3 nights at Longpoint, in Melbourne Beach, FL!). When we did our driveway camping shakedown, it was still relatively cool (for FL anyway). any idea what type of problems I will have keeping the AC from icing up? When I was driveway camping, I noticed reduced flow and warmer air, then put it on fan for a while, let it thaw and put it back on low? I read somewhere I should just keep it on high? Anyone have any tips for summer camping in FL?

Thanks!
    Tdogg!

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

pugs or PopUp Gizmo's and reflextic in the bunk end windows [8D]

3. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

Hello from St Pete!

We just basically run the AC 24-7...maybe turn it down some at night, but normally just pile on the sheets.

I hear gizmos and even tarps help keep it cooler in the day time. Just blocking the sun. I try and set up with some shade. When we went out 3 weeks ago it was so hot the dog just wanted to stay in the pup...lol (we all kind of did and spent a lot of time down at the swimming hole.)

But hey you are off the ground and comfortable at night.
    [SUN] [SUN]

FL Bill

4. Tdogg

Tdogg New Member

Thanks. We'll just try leaving it on high...calling for finally to hit 90 this weekend (of course), so maybe that'll be best. Thanks for the tips!

5. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

have you had the freon checked, this will cause icing, I also second the gizmos , anything to reduce the heat inside the PUP might help also.

6. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Never had ours ice up but camping at Longpoint this time of year you'll need
    to leave it on high anyway. Wish we could be there with you guys. Have fun and stay cool! [SUN]

7. Tdogg

Tdogg New Member

For soem reason, didn't think about checking the freon. It blows nice and cold, but it may be low. I'll have a friend take a look at it. Thanks!

8. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

rv ac units are sealed and dont have factory service fittings. the last thing you want to check in the refrigent level. the key to ac is airflow!!!! if you run the fan on low your not going to move enough air (heat load) across the coil to keep the refrigerent above freezing

9. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

I don't have a PUP AC, should of figured they didn't have service fittings,,,,so keep it clean and air flowing is the answer???

10. mtnkube

mtnkube Member

if you have not done it already i would take the cover off the main unit on the top and give it a good gentle cleaning. Stopped up or extremely dirty cooling fins can cause the unit to want to start freezing up. If you know a home a/c man personally they have a product they refer to as Dr. Pepper or fin cleaner. you spray them down let them sit for a few minutes then rinse with a hose. Just dont take a hose and start blasting away at all the components. Be gentle.

I usually clean my upper unit about every 2 years due to places i go to usually end up having dusty camp roads.

11. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Check the filter and blow out the coil, too.

12. hvac1877

Yes the Ac does need to be maintened. the indoor filter needs to be cleaned. The top of the ac will need to be removed you will have 2 coils one facing the back of the camper the second one will be in the front(will have to move the cover to get access) you can use coil cleaner you can get from home depot or lowes. you spray the coil and let it set for a few then use your water hose to flush the coil. for the indoor coil take some card board with a trash bag over it and place it over the hole that goes down into the camper. You can use a a soft brush(like a new cheap toliet brush) to brush the coil of any dirt. the coil sits in a drain pan and has two hole in the bottom one on each side. make sure the holes are clear then you cn gently rinse the indoor coil down. Becareful not to flood the indoor coil to get water into the camper. once the coil is clean(take a flashlight and shine it through the coils should see light through it. put the front box together. checke the electrical connections make sure nothing is loose or burnt. your motor might have oil ports on it if it does some 3 in 1 oil can be used to lube the bearings. then put it all back together and your done. I hope ythis helps any questions drop me a line.

13. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

Clean the filters. We do it after every trip. You would be amazed how gross they get after only a few days out. After trial and error we learned that if you leave the a/c on low it will freeze up. Especially if you live in a humid area. [:D] We leave the AC on high and then we move the temp knob to a level that is comfortable for us. Usually a bit below full blast cold :) It stays nice and cold in our pup . We try to get a spot in the shade to help out and usually will let it rest for 30-1 hr a day or more if their is a nice breeze. Good luck!

14. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

the ac on low the outer fan that blows across the coils is at the same speed as the inner fan

15. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

I'm not an A/C expert, but my understanding of refrigeration is that if the refrigerant charge is correct in the unit, then the coil should not freeze up.

The temperature of the coil is determined by the pressure differential across the low and high sides and is usually designed to be just above freezing when properly charged.

I know, as others have said, that air flow can contribute to icing too if the coils are getting too cold (below 32F/0C).

You may consider getting with a refrigeration expert and having them install service ports if there are none on your unit. I know they make after market ports that can be added to a system (my brother added them on his TT).

16. Tdogg

Tdogg New Member

wow, what great forum, and full of info!

BLUF, need to keep the AC on high, it may be breezy enough (yes, we're camping on the trailing edge of Debby down here in FL!). When I get back, I'll take off the cover and do a little late spring cleaning on the coils, inside and out! Thanks for all the tips folks!

Conflicting opinions here, was the coils, or blow them out with an air compressor?

Thanks!

17. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I'd blow the coils out with compressed air first and see if that does the job. If your AC uses the same wimpy foam material as mine, blow the filter media out with compressed air then wash it with mild detergent. If the coils are still dirty after using compressed air, some of the other options may work. You also might need a fin comb to straighten out any fins that have been mashed up by road debris or storm damage. If you decide to use a pressure washer, be very careful that you don't bend the fins or get water in your camper.

While you're at it, check the condition of the roof gasket and that the mounting hardware is tight. From what I've read, that's a prime location for water to gain entry, leading to all sorts of problems. I don't know what the factory service interval is for the gasket, but iirc, some people recommend changing the roof gasket every five years.

18. hvac1877

19. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

Just spent this evening cleaning walk-in freezer coil that someone decided it was good enough to just running a little water on the outside and not cleaning the coil on both sides(and fairly easy to get to).
    But I would suggest if you use water on a PUP roof have a wet vac handy, will help suck up cotton, muck and excess water that you don't want seeping into roof area.

20. Tdogg

Tdogg New Member

Thanks all for your information. Just to let you know, the shakedown cruise in Lonpoint was a success! Everything worked, AC did a great job (at night anyway). I see why people would want to use reflectix, but I think I would rather use the PUGS. Will just the use of the PUGS help keep the solar loading off the campter, or do you really need the reflectix too? Seemed most of the heat was coming through the top of the canvas, vs the sides? Thanks again everyone!