Sun Lite 180 WT Discovery Hybrid Thing

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by CampermanDan, Oct 17, 2018.

1. CampermanDan

CampermanDan Member

Well, even though we have our little Coleman pop up that I'm modifying to suit our needs I'm always keeping an eye out for interesting campers and good deals. Came across a Sun Lite Discovery that is a very odd duck. Hardly any of them around. It has hard sides and a pop top that runs the whole length of the camper. It has dual axles, a somewhat enclosed bathroom, kitchen counter area and sleeping for six with two large bunks and a dinette that turns into another bed.

However, this particular one was shot. The roof was so water logged I could hardly nudge it let alone get it raised. There was mold inside and I could see water damage from the roof. The limited available information I could find online said that it weighed around 2,000#. However, when I got there the sticker on the side said 3,000#. And as wet as that roof was I'd guess closer to 3,500+.

The seller was very friendly and I hope she finds a buyer but it isn't us. That camper needs a total massive renovation that includes building a new roof. I guess maybe there is a reason that so few of these are still around.

The pluses of it are that it is very much like a regular travel trailer with hard sides and set up is (should be) super easy, just push up the roof and you're done. It can fit in a regular garage, it has less wind drag for better MPG, and has a usable layout.

This is what one would look like if in good condition. (NOT the one I saw yesterday).

https://www.williesrv.com/inventory...d=312&rv_title=1994+Sun+Lite+Discovery+180+WT

Dan

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Those are nice. The bunks are similar to my FnR.

Because that surround for the popup is still canvas, you would have to "turtle it" for Fishing Bridge, but it looks like you could climb in and crash on the lower bunk easily without raising the roof.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

That door would kill me I think. Scrape my back on the way in and knock my head on the way out.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. CampermanDan

CampermanDan Member

It's definitely a strange one. Crawling in and just using it as a place to sleep could be an option I guess. The toilet could still be used and I've had small sailboats with lower headroom. I thought the door entry could be a problem too but that wasn't really an issue. If the thing was free I might have taken it on as a winter project. But no way was going to pay a couple grand for it.

5. Toedtoes

The FnRs started out with a 3/4 door like that. When the first couple, who were elderly, bought one, they told Irv Perch that there was no way they could bend over to get in and out of it. So he took the trailer back in the shop and they installed dutch door top portion. When the FnR closes up for travel, the top door part folds in under the roof.

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

This is awesome. It's very much like Sunlite's popup slide-in truck campers (or any popup truck camper because there's only so much you can do with them). Pretty sure I have the same lift system on my slide-in popup (different manufacturer). It's very fast and easy and there is always a place to hang a towel.

You get used to the mouse door really fast. :)

7. CampermanDan

CampermanDan Member

It's a shame that there aren't modern versions of this. I could envision a single axle one with a very light top that had a crank or spring system. Have a Jayco style slot for a cheap window a/c unit with a grate on the outside. I'd be interested in that.

8. Toedtoes

Look out for the FoldnRoll. There weren't many of them, but they are really great. Mine has the rooftop AC and it works amazingly.

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen Palominos and maybe one other brand like this before too. Definitely unique. A lot of the benefits of a TT, but the lower profile for towing and airiness of a pup.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I looked at those when I was looking for my pup. Saw a couple in the area. I was intrigued, but the floor plans didn't really work for me. From the limited research I did it was also apparent that the roof cannot support an A/C since the list system was just a scissor type arrangement. The few that I did find that had A/C either cut into the side with a window unit, or used a portable unit. A/C is a requirement for me, so that was a no go.

They had an optional add a room on the back as well. I found one model that had it with the unit. Neat campers, but they just didn't work for me. I liked the Trailmanors and Hi-Los a little more, but they were much heavier, and I really wanted a slide which neither offered.

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The HECO lift system can handle quite a bit of weight. The roof might not be able to, though. (The lift on mine, for example, lifts a pretty hefty 7'x15' insulated walk-on roof and is rated to hold an additional 150lbs in the raised position.)

Window units are more common partly because rooftop ACs defeat the whole "low profile" thing they're going for.

12. Hart1214

Hart1214 New Member

I own a 1993 Sun-Lite Discovery 180WS (with shower).

We bought it for $950 four years ago and have really come to love it. Sure it is small but it’s so easy to tow with our Expedition and hardly makes a dent in our mpg.
    We updated the cosmetic stuff right when we bought it. New tires, new battery and converted hot water tank to electric. This past summer we painted the exterior and re caulked everything. Just this last trip out it rained super hard and we noticed a leak in the roof. So now we will have to seal the roof and I would like to redo the interior ceiling (wanted to anyway). This was our first camper and seriously may end up being our only. That or my college aged son said he wants it if we ever buy a new one

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/showroom/black-series/

14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That is super cool. It is a truck camper with a bunk where the truck should be!