sunburn itch is driving me insane!

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by shanna, May 31, 2011.

1. shanna

shanna New Member

anybody know how to relieve this nerve racking itch! aloe does not help, it makes it itch worse. any suggestions???? [V]

2. lizard

lizard New Member

Camp in the rain and you won't have that problem.

I've found vinegar to help. Get a washcloth wet with it and wipe the red areas down, it seems to cool the burning a bit.

3. Letsgonow!

Letsgonow! New Member

Aveeno oatmeal soap/lotion. Also just oatmeal in the tub in warm water. Put it in the blender first and pulverize it and put a strainer on the drain so you don't clog the tub after.

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

A hydrocordizone (sp?) cream should help. Anything with lidocaine in it.

5. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

I'm fair skinned and been sunburned too many times. Trust me...what stops the itching for a few hours is Solarcaine First Aid spray. It's antiseptic and anesthetic. I get it on my back where the pinpricks is driving me nuts. My wife sprays my back until it's wet and the pinpricks are gone. It's the only thing I've used for sunburns for years.

6. tsc

tsc Member

Like ghacker states, anything that's got lidocaine in it. Solarcaine is a brand name that comes to mind. Some have used Benadryl topical cream with success.

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

vinegar and cool bath=relax.

8. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

All the stuff that has been posted well help but big guy you going to have to suck it up [:D] i have been down that road i tell it well drive you up the wall it should take about a week for it to stop.

9. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I've had the intense itching on my back twice, and once on my chest. It is pure torture!

My doctor told me to take a double-the-maximum dose of Benadryl. It helps, but it still took probably 12 hours each time for the itching to subside to a bearable level.

I've learned to never apply any lotions or sunburn creams of any kind to sunburn. In my case, the itching began every time within minutes of applying sunburn creams or gels. I haven't had any more intense itching since I've stopped using the creams.

10. andleton

andleton "Happy Campers"

AfterSun lotion works good. It really helps with the itch.

11. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Solarcaine fan here. It's the answer for me.

12. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

I feel asleep under a sun lamp years ago. The solution, shaving cream. Have someone apply a even coat all over the affected area. Do not rub in, your skin will absorb it and make it all better. I also take shaving cream with me camping [8D]

13. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Works every time. :)

14. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I have used Cactus Juice for years. Not only is it a miracle worker for sunburn irritation, itching, burning, etc....it's also great for the relief of bug bite irritation. It's also non-toxic and safe for the kiddos.

http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/

I first got turned on to this stuff about 10 years ago when I was in Belize and spent a little too much time snorkeling without applying sun screen and then spent a little too much time on the beach getting bit by no-seeums. I was as red as the lobster I had for dinner that night and covered in bug bumps. The guy at the desk at the hotel handed me a little sample pack of this stuff....it works miracles and I always take it camping or whenever I'm traveling. I will never use anything else.....ever!

15. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

16. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

there seems to be a few products which do you use?

and where in belize? i LOVE belize we vacationed on ambergris caye, i cant wait to get back there! bug spray was my perfurme every night! LOL

17. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

The Miracle Gel. I haven't tried any of the other stuff.

We spent some time on the mainland in San Ignacio and some time on Caye Caulker. We didn't stay on Ambergris, but we made a couple day trips from Caulker. We keep talking about making a return visit one of these days.....but everytime it comes up, we end up deciding to go to our favorite.....Roatan, Honduras. We actually visited Utila, Honduras the year after our Belize trip and absolutely fell in love with the Bay Islands of Honduras. We honeymooned on West End, Roatan and have been back 3 other times. The scuba is out of this world.

This was one of my favorite things from Belize:

http://www.mariesharps.us/

I love this stuff. I brought back a case with me from our travels and have been until recently been purchasing on-line. A couple of years ago I found a Hot Sauce specialty store here in town that usually carries it.

18. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I forgot to mention.....in keeping with the topic of the thread....the Marie Sharps is also great for sunburns and bug bites. It's so hot that the wonderful burning sensation in your mouth will take your mind off of whatever else ails you....at least temporarily.