SunKamper Interior Lights

dbuzz77

Oct 5, 2022
I recently got a sunkamper pop up truck camper and the interior lights don't work and the po didn't use them. the 1993 manual on here doesn't match up well. Mine has a power panel with an ac breaker and a couple of fuses and a battery/converter switch. it also has no battery. i am trying to get the lights working and in the process i may have to install a battery or a converter of some sort. it also has another steel box with some wires and fuses but none seem to go to the lights. the wires coming out of the conv/batt switch are 2 white , grey and red. any help or wiring drawings is appreciated. thanks

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I don’t have a truck camper but throwing this out there. On my traditional popup there are wires that lead to the roof. I discovered those wires could get pinched or frayed which could prevent the interior lights to not work. If your truck camper has something similar I would check there first.

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
Do you have any other DC appliances, water pump? Do they work? Are the AC outlets working?

dbuzz77

Oct 5, 2022
there are no other dc appliances, i was told the fridge is 2 way. i would at least like to figure out the wires coming out of the power panel so i can add a battery or converter. the fridge works on ac and the plugs work

dbuzz77

Oct 5, 2022
Anyway it doesn't make sense to me that a camper would leave the factory with lights that couldn't be used. is the power panel a converter in disguise?

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
You'll need to get a multimeter and learn how to use it. A test light may also be useful. If the 3 way switch is set to "CONV" and the fuses are good find the wires that go from the converter to the lights. They're probably in cloth tube alongside the canvas near the converter. There may be a "plug type" connection at the bottom of the canvas, check the wires in the tube for a break. If that looks good check the power at the plug with a multimeter or test light. If that's good check the bulb socket with the negative of the tester on the outside of the metal socket and the positive on the center contact inside the socket.

dbuzz77

Oct 5, 2022
I am an electronics technologist so a multimeter is one of my weapons. there is no 12v anywhere is why i am asking about the converter and wiring diagram. i don't see how to take apart the panel as the wires come out of a grommet and you can't see where they come from

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
In some of the older pop up campers you needed a battery to run the dc side. Does your camper have a spot for a battery?

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
The converter you have should power the lights when plugged into Shore Power and the switch is to conv usually there is a glass automobile tube fuse inside of a little square box on the front of the converter.
Plug the camper into a household outlet and see if an outlet in the inside is live. This will tell you the converter is getting Shore Power. Then with a test light or voltmeter check for 12 power. Your converter just has an old fashion transformer inside it.

dbuzz77

Oct 5, 2022
there is no 12v power that has been tested. i need a wiring diagram and/or someone who knows how to open up this power panel to get to the connections.

dbuzz77

Oct 5, 2022
ok took off the power panel 1 more time and found 12v from blue to white with the converter switch on so the converter is working. now to figure out how it goes from brown that is connected in back of the converter to the green and white for the lights. there doesn't feel like a connector in the canvas going up the side. i guess some tracing is in order.

dbuzz77

Oct 5, 2022
so i got a bee in my bonnet and kept going, in the back access door for the fridge the wires go up to where they go into the canvas and a green is broken off and a brown is broken off. just have to figure out how they connect.

dbuzz77

Oct 5, 2022
well I finally figured out what is going on, i think the PO did some poking because he said the clearance lights were new twice and he may have cut off the interior lights. when you use the right 2 wires there is 13v from the converter. i pulled off a ceiling light and looked at the color of the wires and it gave me a clue as to which ones to use. I found the outside door light wires also so today i hooked them up and there is light inside and outside. I'm thankful i plugged away because it was confusing to look at what was hooked up before and not. thanks