Super high wind Gizmos

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Twinmum, May 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Hi all! Hoping you are all well and looking forward to a wonderful camping season. I sure am!!! After being cooped up with 14 year old boys, for 2.5 months, and trying to reason with them as to why playing video games all day long (just because they finished their school work early), is bad for them and is simply not going to happen! It was so much easier before they learned “The persuasive argument,” I swear, the two of them tag team me and it becomes an episode of Boston Legal! One son says ”Ah, mum isn’t it true that playing video games helps with manual dexterity, as well as visual acuity?”, of course, not to be out done, the other on pops in, “Oh I read that video games can help children's brain development.” ‘Oh and also, how to search, negotiate, plan, and try different approaches to advance.’ “Mum, these games involve planning and problem-solving...” Me, feeling as though I was on the whiteness stand having just been verbally accosted by James Spader.... “Well, as I recollect...”
    Sons, in unison... “We rest our case, court adjourned.” Yup, they will definitely excel on the debate team next year.

So sorry, again, I am off on a tangent. You’re thinking, hmmm did I read the topic of this thread incorrectly? Thought it said something about gizmos!?!? Ok so, here we go, I just ordered my SHW gizmos. We live in CT and usually camp in New England. Do I really need the super high wind ones? I think I got caught up in the moment. As my husband describes the ooouuuh shhhiiiney....moments, or for you Lord of the Rings fans out there....
    My Preccciiious.

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Nighty night!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

You never know what is going to blow through a campsite. We were set up between two large motor homes, one night in Florida, when a storm came through. It was raining sideways. It barely rocked us, because the motor homes blocked us. You can't count on being lucky all the time.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I got the super high wind ones and let me tell you I’m VERY glad I did. I put the gizmos on with the clips and put the strings on but didn’t tighten them down just left the stings loose. Freak storm blew through and the reflectix clips were flying off one by one as the wind snuck between the bunk canvas and the gizmo. The gizmo would have taken off too if the strings weren’t on. It honestly doesn’t take much for the wind to get under the gizmo. Thank goodness the flapping in the wind didn’t destroy them until I can get out the following morning and fix it.

As far as the 14 yo I feel your pain except instead of video games it’s YouTube, and every other app she watches. My side kick is 15 and feels she can do her homework just fine while being on her phone watching whatever cool thing she sees. She also believes everything is true because she watched something on you tube etc . We had a huge argument over whether we landed on the moon because she watched a guy dressed up in a supposed NASA uniform saying we didn’t land on the moon. UGH! This is a world class difficult age. Here I thought it would have been easier because they were now self reliant, nope cue hormones and this I am mightier than you attitude. Oops guess I went on a tangent myself. :oops:

4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

we had originally purchased the high wind ones... after all we are not out in the midwest so why would we need superhigh - well it was not long that I put grommets on the high wind pugs to better tie them down. that helped me delay replacing the pugs for the superhigh wind version a couple of years. we just replaced them with the superhigh wind pugs. You won't regret getting the superhigh wind.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yes, the SHW ones should be the only ones you get. They area much easier to install and keep in place. You made the right choice.

I have a 16 year old son. Gaming with friends has become an even more important part of socializing for him since we have been in lockdown. Don't be so quick to discount it. Oftentimes he is having normal conversations with his friends while playing. Good luck with your two and enjoy the pup when you can.

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I'm a lifelong advocate of PUGs (and I don't get paid to say that). Another reason to go with the SHW Gizmos is ease of use. Instead of using clamps to hold them on, the bungee cords can be clipped to the underside of the bunkend. In fact, I recently purchased a set of PUG Paws from Sunfast Products. I shaved almost 5 minutes off my setup/take-down time buy using these. You place a set of the studs under each bunkend and thread the bungee from the PUGs through the PUG Paw for each side (this is a one time operation). Then pop the Paw onto the stud, so easy!
    2020-03-27 14.22.58.jpg
    2020-04-11 14.39.25.jpg
    2020-04-11 14.40.00.jpg
    2020-04-28 17.15.29-1.jpg
    2020-04-11 14.41.02.jpg

7. popin it up

popin it up New Member

I like your setup here! Do the knobs under the bunks hit anything when closing it up? Also where did you find these?

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Click the link in his post.

I used some J-hooks from Amazon, cheaper but a little more effort to make work. They generally don't break off unless you have a problem. On mine the front bunk has developed a little bit of a bow, which reduced the clearance just enough to snap one off. I have since relocated them to the other side of the aluminum support for better protection.

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

No, clearance is fine but you should always measure and test on your own camper before installing.

10. brettstoner

brettstoner Member

Neat idea. I went low cost. I clip all cords from each side together on a single key ring. Then I use a double sided S carabiner to clip both sides' rings together. For setup and takedown I just undo one key ring side from the carabiner, flip both sets of cords up onto the bunk, and close the bunk leaving the Gizmo on. Mine are velcroed to the roof and never come off.

Finch likes this.
  11. Finch

Finch Member

My SHW PUGS just came the other day and I think I'm going to go with this method. I like the PUG paws as referenced above but this method will suffice for our needs. Thanks!