Super Stinky Cushions

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Bhut2180, May 23, 2019.

1. Bhut2180

Bhut2180 Member

We recently picked up a 98 Coleman Casa Grande. It had a musty smell inside, just cut off the material on the cushions to replace with new stuff but the cushions smell of the same musty yuck!!! Aired them out for a day, did a night with tons of baking soda all over them, now just did a day with vinegar and water, they still smell!!! Any thoughts on removing the smell?? I've got an ozone machine I'll try next but after that it seems like replacement and that's not cheap
    Thanks for your thoughts

2. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

I washed mine in the bathtub with laundry detergent. I used my feet to “agitate” throughout the foam. Then drained and rinsed twice using the same method. Rolled up to squeeze out the water, laid flat on the deck to dry.

It was a little harder doing the mattresses as I had to fold them up to fit in the tub but it still worked great. The smell is completely gone and even after camper had been closed up for several weeks, it did not come back.

southern gal and HappyTraveler like this.
  3. Bhut2180

Bhut2180 Member

Wow that sounds pretty brave to go that far, ok I'll give it a try, at least that's free vs $280 worth of new cushions, I'll let you know how it goes!!

Flipped in NH likes this.
  4. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

I guess but like you, I didn’t want to spend money on replacements if I didn’t have to. We had to replace our canvas so that busted the budget for the year. Lol

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Nothing worked for ours. I washed them extensively, tried baking soda and every other concoction I found on the internet. I sun dried them in Florida for weeks. I even tried wrapping them in plastic under the new covers I made for them. Nope. Still stinky. I replaced ours by buying twin sized (extra long) mattress from Foam Factory and cutting it to size with an electric knife. I bought the Lux Regular Foam and it's nice and firm for seat cushions. Cost was $75.98 that included tax and shipping. If you need more foam, just order a bigger mattress to cut. That was the place I found the best deal.

southern gal and ScottyD78 like this.
  6. p

p Active Member

Essential oils (tea tree oil) in a diffuser work...not expensive. Spray several times a day, leave open with oscillating fan inside.

7. Bhut2180

Bhut2180 Member

So my wife took the lead on this one, she put one cushion at a time in our master bath tub, hot water and Tide, used her feet to agitate like you mentioned and then took them in the shower to spray rinse them. Tub needed a good cleaning after she finished but they have since dried and smell much better. She’s BIG into essential oils so I’m sure she’s planning to spray them with something good smelling!!!

8. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Glad it worked for you too. It is a fair amount of work but I spread it out over a few weekends to get them all done

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. Orchid

Fair amount of work is an understatement. [LOL] I remember it being back breaking when I did ours. I washed them with just about everything over the course of a few days and it wore me out! I finally decided to let the Florida sun dry them and the smell would leave. It did, for awhile, but kept coming back. Ours were probably worse than your average cushion, though. Way behind musty, more like mold smelling.

10. Bhut2180

Bhut2180 Member

Yeah we are in Orlando and with the rainy season here, we could only do 3-4 hrs in the morning and then again in the evening after the rain, then most of the time in the garage with fans going.

Orchid did u end up replacing yours?

11. Orchid

Yes, I did. We used the old ones for about 5 years, and I tried very hard to salvage them. At least 3 different occasions, I washed and dried them in the sun. The last time the smell came back, I was done. All new foam in the entire camper now.

12. Bhut2180

Bhut2180 Member

Do u mind saying how much you paid for the new foam

Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

I bought a twin sized foam mattress and cut it with electric carving knife. Here is the email confirmation with exactly what I paid.

foam.JPG

14. Orchid

And the beds:

king.JPG
    full.JPG