Surge protection question

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Haldir00, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Haldir00

Haldir00 New Member

First post, but long-time lurker both before and after actually joining this forum. Don't know that I could adequately express how much of a difference sites like this one make for novices like me. Great sources of both information and confidence for making 'right' decisions. The ability to communicate collective experience is a game-changer.

I don't own a PUP (yet), but I'm looking at a 2006 Fleetwood Bayside with a/c, furnace, fridge, etc. It comes with a 25 amp converter. I know quite a bit about history (particularly medieval England), but I don't know much at all about electricity. I've been searching this site and others, but after a time the information, helpful as it is in proper measure, eventually all turns into loud screeching noise.

As I think through PUP ownership, one of the things I've not yet figured out is surge protection. I've concluded that I probably want something (I don't care that it may be cheaper to replace stuff than to purchase protection...I don't know that I necessarily agree that cost is the sole determinant, especially when you consider the inconvenience, lack of access, and time involved to have something fixed properly. Ounce of prevention, pound of cure, etc.) Looks like the Progressive PT30C would do what the consensus appears to be needs done. So, a basic question for starters:

Is a 30 amp portable electrical management system the right piece of equipment for a PUP with a 25 amp converter? If so, can someone give me the Dr Seuss (i.e. very simple) version of why that's the case; for example, is it because of the type of power, as opposed to the amount being used? If not, can someone recommend the appropriate alternative?

Thanks in advance for your assistance on this question, and thanks in general for all the value and learning' so far achieved.

P.S. I had no idea what the answer was to the verification question, "In what U.S. State are the stars at night, big and bright?" Is that something one should already know? I had to Google it.

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

You are confusing the 25a@12vdc output of the converter with the 30a@120vac input.

If the pup has a 30a input (shore power) you would use a 30a surge protector.

3. Haldir00

Haldir00 New Member

Not confusing it...completely ignorant of it. Thanks for the response...I understand and now know how better to think about my issue. Regards,

4. Mally

Mally Member

DUH!!!! [:D] [:D]

Welcome to the portal. Good luck with your search for your camper!

5. Tobeornottobe

Tobeornottobe New Member

P.S. I had no idea what the answer was to the verification question, "In what U.S. State are the stars at night, big and bright?" Is that something one should already know? I had to Google it.

Lol so did I, was thinking hope all the questions are not this hard!!! And I'm from Canada soooooo.....

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Every time I hear the DW calling the puppies four claps in rapid succession, I sing "DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!". I think it's hilarious, the DW, not so much. [:D]

7. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

For your money the Progressive Industries EMS 30 provides your electrical equipment from not only a surge in power but also a drop in power. That is more common when everyone in the camp ground runs their AC and their microwave at the same time and it tells you if the power pole is not properly grounded. If you look at the price to replace a AC compressor, a whole AC unit, or a fridge you will definitely want to have some sort of power management for your camper.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've had the Progressive EMS for over a year now, for our TT. We used run-of-the-mill surge protectors inside the pup, when we powered laptops or the like. (That pup was very simple, with the converter, furnace and lights.)
    When we bought the TT, we realized there was a lot more that could be damaged by power issues. I researched the brands that were available, and ended up choosing the Progressive one. The RV places here usually carry a different brand, but I found a good price on Amazon.
    I think I've seen one of the Progressive models once locally since we bought ours. For some reason, Technology Research Surge Guard seems to have the placement in stores and online catalogs. The Progressive seemed to me to be a better alternative (made in the US and with the capability to be returned for fuse replacement if it blows.)
    http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!rv-power--surge-hardwired/c1ef

We use the EMS at home when we plug in the TT. Some of the places where we have power (we actually usually dry camp) are not the newest, though even newer installations may have issues, plus we are in an area that can be prone to thunder storms. Good protection all around.

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

10. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

We also have a Progressive surge protector. It has saved our trailer more than once. Worth every penny!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

11. silvermickey2002

Came home to a box from Amazon yesterday after work and the surge protector was there. The DW just looked at me and was like "Really!", do we really need that? I explained was it does and the $105 justifies protecting the A/C, converter and what ever else we plug in. Told her I would rather have the surge protect get fried then all our other stuff! She was like "Ok, make sense!" [:D]

12. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Okay, so the camper plugs into the protector and the protector plugs into the box at the CG? Can't be more simple.

13. silvermickey2002

Nope, can't get any easier then that!!! I'll tell ya, when I opened the box (at 11:30 at night) I was very impressed with the unit and how solid it was. The cover has a rubber seal on it where it mounts to the main unit. It came with four screws to mount the weather proof cover to the main unit.

Simply plug and play!!

14. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind, you'd want to secure it somehow. Apparently, the plug in protectors are frequently stolen, because they are so easy to steal.

15. silvermickey2002

Agree, it came with a security device on the neck of the cord. A padlock and short bike lock cable should do the job. Let's face it, if they really want it they will get it, but making more difficult to steal is the idea!

16. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Now where did the key for the surge protector bike lock go [?:~{]

17. silvermickey2002

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

That key will be on my car key ring for sure!!!!

18. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Also, . Plug the surge protector into the power box first. If surge protector is good, then, plug the camper into the surge protector.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII.