Surge protector

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by 1REDBEARD, Jun 11, 2019.

1. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Hello everyone, I just have a quick question we will be taking our first camping trip this month in our new to us pop up and I keep seeing things about a surge protector plugged into your 30 amp power cord is this a necessity? because it's not in the budget right now will anything happen if I don't use one I will have the electronics inside plugged into a surge protector except for AC

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I've never used one but it's on my list of things to purchase.

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

The problems come from the power pole. Surge protector is a great idea. In the interim, make sure you turn the pole circuit off, plugin then turn the pole back on. It won't protect you from everything, but will help with the initial surge and arcing.

Orchid and Garrity like this.
  4. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Sweet thank your for the reply. I will definately keep tbat in mind, because. The last thing I wanna do is fry my electrical.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The protector I have has low voltage protection. At a CG, low voltage is common and will do damage without you knowing it.

6. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Oooooh ok... So it kinda stores power then in a way? I did read something about low power issues depending on how many campers are using it...

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Not at all ... and you don't want just a "surge protector". What you do want is an EMS (Electrical Management System) with surge protection. Most popular are those manufactured by Progressive Industries - the EMS-PT30X portable and the EMS-HW30C hard wire.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products

TRC also offers similar products ...

https://rvpower.southwire.com/products/surge-protection/

Simple surge protectors have their place but if you're investing in one single device to protect your trailer's electrical system from a wide range of campground power anomalies, especially excessively low voltage, do yourself a favour and spend your $$$ wisely on an EMS. ;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    kitphantom likes this.
  8. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Ok cool, I really do appreciate the help on this. Like I said we are new to this and wanna make sure all is gonna go ok.

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

It doesn't store power. It cuts power off at, I think, 105 volts. to protect the electronics in the camper.
    I just picked up a WFCO hard wire power transfer switch from genny to CG power with surge protection and low voltage cut off.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We only used a surge protector inside our 30 amp popup, and knowing what I know now, I would have used an EMS with it. We do not plug in, at home or away, without the Progressive EMS. Yes, expensive, but safety is not something to be cheap about. Surges are actually less common than other issues. In slightly over 4 years, our EMS has protected us from low voltage (which can damage things such as A/C, microwaves) at home and in campgrounds, and unsafe conditions at the power column.

11. GreyFox

Progressive Industries EMS are set for a low voltage threshold of 104 vac, TRC are set for 102 vac.

As far as I can determine your WFCO transfer switch does not offer any form of surge protection. Regardless, it's an entirely different animal from an EMS w/surge protection, which is what the OP should be spending his $$$ on.

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I use a Camco Power Defender. More than once it has cut the power to the trailer due to low voltage.

13. GreyFox

Unfortunately, purchase of the Camco includes only a 1 yr warranty, TRC updated their warranty coverage a couple of years ago from 1 yr to limited lifetime, and the Progressive Industries EMS units all include a lifetime warranty. Before purchasing it's wise to fully understand the warranty included with your purchase - what is warrantied & why, and what steps to take if you do later have an issue with the unit.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never used one until this year after getting a deal on one late last fall..

15. Jonas LaPointe

Jonas LaPointe New Member

I am also looking into a surge+ electrical protection system and leaning towards a hardwired system. Does anyone make a converter with good protection built in? If so, why not just replace my converter/power system? It's a 30A Centurion 3000 CS in our Coleman/Fleetwood from 2002. Thanks for any advice

16. GreyFox

Swapping out the converter is a great idea considering your Centurion is a crappy converter that has long been out of production but leave that as a separate issue from the EMS. However, assuming the converter still currently works I'd leave it for the time being and instead invest your $$$ in a Progressive Industries EMS, either an EMS-PT30X portable or EMS-HW30C hard wire.

[​IMG]

I've owned both types and prefer a hard wire for the obvious reason that once wired in it's always "there" - just plug in your main service cable and go about the rest of your set up. Some of us wire a hard wire unit in using 30 amp connectors, obviously increasing the overall cost but with the advantage that we can physically pull it out of the system at any time. If you go with a hard wire just be aware that the contactor inside can sometimes hum audibly so if it's mounted somewhere within the unit you might hear it from time to time.

17. joet

joet Well-Known Member

18. Jonas LaPointe

Jonas LaPointe New Member

Thanks GreyFox. Those were the two options I was considering unless I could get one unit to meet all my power needs (converter, power distribution, protection). I’m leaning toward going with the EMS-HW30C

19. GreyFox

I guess they did as I can find no reference to either the T30 or T57 offering built in surge protection. The manufacturer only says - "... and feature a 30-second delay to allow the generator to complete diagnostics and get up to speed, which avoids damage from power surges." That's not built in MOV (Metal Oxide Vaistor) based surge protection as we're talking about in this discussion, it's merely hoping to avoid any potential generator surges by implementing a 30" switch on delay so the genset has had time to ramp up to speed, settle into a constant speed, and output a consistent voltage free of surges.

20. GreyFox

You can't go wrong with an EMS-HW30C ... I only modified mine because I mounted it under the sofa and depending on load we could sometimes hear it humming, enough to be annoying at times. Pics are here if you're interested, click on the "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YTZrWHhLU0VrOWFnakV4el9jMXJodi1ISVItaGFR