Surge Suppressors

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by bondo54, Aug 21, 2011.

1. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

This summer I seen a lot of camping rigs big and small using surge suppressors what are your ideas about them? Would they be a good investment? Do you use them?

2. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

This has been debated many times if you do a search. I use one, cheap insurance in my opinion. I use a Surge Guard 34730 and highly recommend it.

3. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

A good one, repeat GOOD one, will protect you and your's from a high voltage surge which can fry the internal power supplies and other things. They do not however protect from low voltage which can damage motors if the low voltage continues and they will not protect from power on and off episodes where the power stops and then starts up again and maybe does that a few times. Even though the voltage doesn't go over the normal supply voltages those really mess with some things. If you have electronics you want to protect an Uninteruptible Power Supply covers most power issues, for a certain amount of time assuming you can turn things off when the stuff hits the fan. It has a battery that runs through an inverter supplying clean power long enough to turn things off. If you aren't there to turn things off, then maybe keeping things turned off when you are away is the best and cheapest route to go.

From everything I've heard. low voltage is probably the most prevalent power problem at cgs, then power surges.

4. cico7

cico7 Friend request denied.

I bought an el cheepo generator t charge batteries with and it does do not use on certain electronics because the voltage is not stable.

My office goes thru a couple surge protectrs a year because batteries die. Cheaper to buy a new protector sometimes than betteries. So I take the protectors.

Power it with my battery on board and we're off.

So what about putting the protector in between my generator and equipment?

5. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

As a long time computer tech:

Generally surge protectors/suppressors are just that: they protect from or suppress the surge. Otherwise they are useless against slow changing high/low power voltage changes.

In most cases the breaker at the power outlet from the CG should provide enough protection and reset protecting your pup. If you want your own backup to their breakers, buy a box and 20A GFCI outlet or your own little breaker box before the power converter.

Otherwise the only way to protect against the high/low voltage situations (that gets past the CG breakers) is with an actual battery backup built in, which have a lot more protection against voltage, amperage, and phase differences. For a camper using only lights, it should provide for the 10-15 minutes of the power being out. If the outage lasts longer then its a good time to get out or go to sleep anyways... of course for those that have the option, use camper battery instead of shore power. (unfortunately mine does not have the battery option)