Surprisingly expensive toll roads/bridges/crossings...especially in NY!

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by lksdrinker, Oct 31, 2019.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I get that. My point is, other states seem to manage to build and maintain their roads without tolls. And it isn't isn't just by having artificially high gas taxes either... I can go to Chicago and pay both tolls, and up to a buck higher a gallon for my gas too.

Governments are greedy.

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I disagree. Most governments are operating in the red or don't have sufficient revenue to support their needs. A few years ago, Kansas elected a governor that wanted to be President. So he managed to slash income taxes in hopes he could use it as a feather in his hat. It backfired. The state went into a tailspin. The cuts were repealed a couple years later but it's been about five years and we're still trying to recover.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I don't mind paying my share, if I can see some results. But, "they" have had I-20 tore up since 2016 widening it. When I do have to travel I-20, I might see 3 guys working. Projected completion is fall 2020, which will not be met at the present work rate.

Update for anyone traveling I-20 through the Lexington area:
    IMPORTANT I-20 CONSTRUCTION NEWS
    Starting on Thursday November 14, 2019, the eastbound lanes of I-20 will be turning into a “split” two lane road. While traveling east past the Longs Pond Road exit (51), the two lanes will split with a large cement barrier in the middle just past the 53 mile marker. The left lane will be a single “through” lane and will have no exit access to US 1 or US 6. The right lane will be a single lane and will have access to both exits and entrances to US 1 and US 6. The two lanes will merge back together before US 378.

During this time the shoulders on each side will only be about 2 feet wide. If there are any wrecks during this time, it is going to shut down whichever lane it is in.

This traffic configuration will last for approximately 9 MONTHS.

Once construction is completed for that Phase, the westbound lanes will have a similar configuration. That Phase of construction is expected to last another 8 months.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  4. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Yeah all my research led me to believe that I was supposed to use the same tag I've been using for years with or without the trailer. I made sure to add the trailer's license plate to my ez pass account hoping to avoid any weird issues there!

I couldn't find any info outright from any of the ez pass sites about that blue tag. The site you referenced is specifically for the Thruway and lacks anything specific about a blue tag or a class 76 tag. I did find this from the VA epass site that specifically sites class 76 as a car/3 axles/6 tires which sounds correct. https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/reference_codes.pdf

megcabra likes this.
  5. jgdurbin

jgdurbin New Member

E-ZPass Vehicle Reference Code guide: https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/reference_codes.pdf

Some states with EZpass have sensors at the toll booths that auto-detect the number of axles (and possibly weight?) and will charge accordingly (reference: https://www.popupportal.com/threads/i-guess-i-need-an-ezpass-for-the-trailer.118177/).

In VA, I was directed that I had to get an unique E-ZPass transponder to use when towing. It was blue in color and I ended up with a 206 (Pickup Truck, 3 axles, 6 tires, over 7,000 lbs.

6. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

the need for a special transponder in some states (the blue one) but not others baffles me. Maryland does not require a different transponder - i use the same transponder whether i am towing the camper or not. I go through the toll reader and it counts my axles and charges accordingly. And of course, the EZ pass system is set up so my Maryland transponder works in any EZ pass state - so now, when i tow into different states such as NY that uses a special towing transponder - i go through the toll reader, it still has to count axles and charge accordingly. So why do these states even need a special towing transponder????

PointyCamper likes this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. 5 years ago I was told I didn’t need one, but I may go to a toll booth where they don’t have an auto counter and I would have to go to one with an attendant to put the correct number of axles in manually. Or the auto counter may mis count my axles and I’d have to fight to get it corrected. Well I figured I don’t want to get to a toll and figure out where to go much less having to fight traffic to go into the truck only toll. So at least with my special tow transponder I can go through any ez pass booth without worry. So far I never had a problem. In my travels, I did go to one toll booth they still had attendants in every booth along with ez pass reader, hard to believe they haven’t upgraded their system. Every where else they have the newer technology.

8. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

It is weird. Not sure why they pretend like its one ez-pass system when its really different in every state. I've had no problem in NY when using the Throgs Neck Bridge which accurately read the number of axles the multiple times I've gone that way. Not so lucky heading across others though!

I'm not so sure how they actually count axles. While talking to them on the phone to dispute my charge it seemed like the guy I spoke with was looking at a photo or video perhaps. He wouldn't confirm, but he was questioning what type of car I drove as if he didn't recognize it.

Not only are there no attendants near me but there are no remaining tool booths! I'm not sure if its all of NY state yet, but everywhere near NYC is completely cashless with no booths, no attendants, no one to ask a question, nothing!

9. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Some states will funnel toll revenue to other great society projects and not just to the highways they are supposed to maintain.

kcsa75 likes this.
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you would be surprised with the high tolls, especially since you live there.
    I've worked in the city quite a bit, used to cost me $28 just to go to the site.
    Then $25-60 to park for the day.

It's the most expensive part of the US, nothing there is free.

11. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I'm surprised because every other time that I left heading north this year it cost me an extra $4 to tow a trailer when going north, and this time going south/west was an extra $39 or so for that same trailer!

I'd expect to pay if I were heading into Manhattan (where I assume you were paying the $28 to get to....what tolls were you encountering?). $25 to $60 is a bargain for a full day of parking. I've been hit for $75 for only 10 minutes (1 hour minimum charge) in a garage in an "oversized" SUV. Thats the cost of doing business and we learn to deal with it. But having to pay just to leave town is adding insult to injury!

12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I've worked all over up there, driving my full size, company pick up most of the time. So you get hammered with tolls, parking, breathing and so on.
    Spent quite a while at the Trade Center, parked at Battery Parking garage.
    Less than 10 hours was $28, over was $40. Company pays it all, but it's still robbery.

At least you have such nice roads there [LOL]

13. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

LOL

14. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Talk about literal highway robbery.

lksdrinker likes this.
  15. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Yup. Here in Washington, they are famous for making promises that tolls or other taxes/fees will go to particular projects and then flipping when something more politically expedient comes along. Thankfully we don't have the extortionate tolls that other places have, but we do have several highways here in the Puget Sound that have the "pay for HOV lane" option. At $10 a pop quite a bit of the time, that's a lot of money that's not going to any place in particular. Like the roads, or bridges...