Survival/Essentials Preparedness

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by mckeapc67, May 24, 2012.

1. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

To go along with the "Top 5 Outdoor Skills" thread (see http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=57447.0 ), I decided to post a listing of survival/essentials that one may want to keep with them to "be prepared".

Whenever I go hiking, hunting, or otherwise into the back country, I carry a small bag (I call it my man purse) with me. It is a small and lightweight bag that contains (or should contain) the essentials that I would need to get by in a pinch. This is in addition to whatever I would normally have with me in the particular situation (e.g., cell phone, hunting tool / weapon, camping gear, fishing gear, etc.).

My current (always in the bag) bag contents are as follows:

- compass (actually a couple)
    - GPS unit (extra set of batteries)
    - knife
    - disposable lighter
    - strike anywhere matches (in waterproof container)
    - magnesium fire starter
    - small (mini Mag or LED) flashlight
    - a folded up garbage bag
    - Some TP (although I've used other available stuff in a pinch)
    - a few granola bars
    - a water bottle (not necessarily in the bag)

Other stuff that I usually put in the bag when I'm going somewhere in a more "back country" setting:
    - disposable poncho
    - emergency blanket
    - a stick or two of fat pine

Other stuff that I really should have as I think about it:
    - a map (with appropriate features) of the area that I'm in
    - signal mirror (an old CD works for this)
    - some string or small cord
    - An emergency whistle (you can blow a whistle longer than you can shout)
    - water purification capability (tablets or filter)
    - fishing line, several sinkers, and several hooks
    - a small first-aid kit

Note that all of this stuff is very light and can be easily kept in my carry along bag (man purse) when venturing away from camp.

What other items do you keep with you for an emergency situation?

2. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

Stomach discomfort pills (for both ends), Headache/pain relief pills, bug repellant, hat.

3. Hanne

Hanne New Member

I have a lumbar day pack at the ready, in my car. I really don't ascribe to the everything-in-an-altoid-tin philosophy. After all, as a woman, I well know the value of a purse-sized carry-all [;)]
    Plus, I'm not going to be wandering in the woods alone, I'm more likely going to be stuck in my car in a snowstorm, or be trying to get home in the event of an emergency. So, my emergency kit contains basically everything you listed, with some minor substitutions, like PJCBs instead of fat wood. And a good poncho instead of a cheap one. Within my pack, I have another mini-kit that can be carried on my person. Redundancy if I would be separated from my pack, or for sharing if another person was in need.
    I have a squeeze bottle of alcohol & a small empty can with which to make an alcohol stove or use as an eating/gathering container. Some items are packed in a tin which could become a hobo stove.
    A hobo tool & a multi-tool. A wire saw. Catfish wire. duct tape. zip ties. an oven roaster bag. paracord. a mini Eton hand-crank emergency radio. a pair of socks. a ski cap. bandana. sewing kit. a tiny container of lip balm & a beeswax birthday candle.

4. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

When I'm out hunting I carry the rifle, knife, cig lighter and a radio to contact my partners after shots fired or after the designated meeting time. In the PUP there are about 15 green propane bottles, a Katydyn water filter, 250 feet of rope, extra tarps, extra knives, knife sharpener, an axe, a hatchet, a saw, a parang, a company sized first aid kit, a Mr Heater, Eton 3 way power radio, portable hot water heater, extra lantern mantles, strike anywhere matches, 2 charcoal lighters, extra cig lighters, 2-3 cans of "grub" (beef stew kind of thing) rotated yearly, 2 three cell mag lights, extra D batteries, plastic wire ties, a .22 rifle and pistol with 500 rounds, a battery powered air compressor (in the truck), emergency blankets, always 2 full 20 pound propane tanks on the tongue, a fully charged group 29 battery,extra LED light bulbs and a canvas repair kit. There probably is more stuff but that's about all I can think of without popping up and taking inventory. I guess I like to feel that if I have to bug out I can do so in the time it takes to pack clothes, meds and food.
    MR

5. runnr08

runnr08 New Member

Adding to the lists offered so far, I cant underestimate the importance of a standard bandana. If caught in glaring sun then tucked under your hat (you gotta have a hat) keeps the sun off your neck. Likewise a cold night chill can be fought with it wrapped around your neck (the body's radiator). Otherwise, tourniquet, bandage, primary water filter, the list goes on. Of course if used for TP don't even think about its further value.

6. phalynx

phalynx Member

I'm impressed. I wish more women, and men for that matter, thought like you.

7. Hanne

Hanne New Member

On Friday, our area was under threat of a tornado. So I took my bag from the car into work, in case I needed the emergency radio. Which reminded me that I should make a habit of unpacking and taking inventory of my bag no less than twice a year, and use that time to replace & upgrade items.
    I had forgotten what all was packed in my bag, and I had not replaced some of the items I had borrowed from the bag over the past year, like duct tape, cordage, & snacks. I swapped in a small Swedish canister stove for the tin can, and added some stormproof matches, some tyvek paper & a pencil, a piece of heavy tinfoil, and a good length of flourescent orange surveyor ribbon. I upgraded my cheap gloves with a better pair (always have good gloves to protect your hands!). I also checked that everything works, like lighters & led flashlights.
    Today I did a check of my auto repair tools/road emergency stuff, which are in their own organizer. And I replaced my old water jug with a fresh one. I've been getting DH on board this past year, so now each of us has a personal emergency bag, and the vehicles & pup each have their own tool kits.