Survived our first Thunderstorm!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Brate, May 20, 2013.

1. Brate

Brate Bravado!

Well the weekend before last we had gone camping and on the first evening (Friday) it came down hard. I mean really hard. I am surprised we didn't have hail honestly. The pup help up great, not a single leak or drip and the only real down side was the noise of rain on the roof and canvas and the very loud and unmuffled sounds of thunder. The wife and I felt some concern for the tent campers as we watched the park loop turn into a small river but after the storm had passed everything seemed pretty normal. It's good to know that the PUP can handle a storm like that with ease.

Brandon

2. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

I love the thunderstorms in the camper. I know we don't get the storms like you in Texas do, but it's something about the rumble and the sound of the rain that relaxes us. We camped in the Finger Lakes a few years back and there was a thunder storm to the north of us. I laid in the bunk for quite a while just listening to the rumble bouncing down the lake.

3. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

I have braved a many t storms in my pup, just don't want to ever have a tornado pass thru when I am in it.

4. bropaul

bropaul New Member

We love to hear the rain on the pup... preferably at night so as not to interfere with daytime activities. But thunder tends to send our dear camping dog into a drooling, quivering mess. At 70+ pounds, he wants to be on a lap or under the dinette! [LOL]

Happy camping!
    Diane

5. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

When I was a kid, loved to weather out a storm inside the '68 Apache Ramada. Tin roof, no insulation...was LOUD but soothing.

Well our pup, '65 Westholt Cruiser, is all heavy cotton canvas from end to end. Let me tell you...LOUD is just the beginning of it. Who'd have thought rain hitting cloth could be so loud! But it's weathered a few, and did just fine. In fact last summer we had a storm pop up, while we were all out holding on to one anothers tent canopies, I thought for sure I'd turn around to see no canvas on my pup. Not even a drop inside... I was pleasantly surprised. :)

6. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We've had steady rains at least 75 percent of the time that we have camped. Coming from a tenting background, it's a good feeling of safety/security in the PUP. We have games and dvd/dvd player for evenings when it rains. The only problem is that the noise from the rain hitting the roof can drown out the tv/dvd player.

7. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

Brate, where did you guys camp?

8. Brate

Brate Bravado!

We camped at Pedernales Falls State Park the weekend before last.

9. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

We were there at pedernales falls during spring break..... It rained on us too ....... We were in spot nine and actually had two foxes and a really fat raccoon visit us

10. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

One of the best sounds to hear during the rain is the sound of my bro-in-law digging trenches around his tent. [:D]

I always hated being out at 3am digging trenches and being worried about a river coming in the front door of the tent. Now we're up high in a Pup with no worries. Although bro-in-law has never said anything about our Pup, I've always had the feeling that he doesn't approve. So when its raining at 3am now, and I hear him out there digging with a shovel, I just turn over in my bed, put a smile on my face, listen to the rain (and shoveling) and drift off back to sleep. Aaaaah.......zzzzzzzzzzzz [SNZ]

11. Checkered24

Checkered24 Member

I've always loved the sound of the rain on the roof of pups. That tinkling noise! Rain and particularly storms is why I have a pup instead of a tent. I like the extra bit of shelter, while still having a sense of being in the outdoors.

I only once had a lot of water get in. In an old 82 or 83 Viking, in one particular storm, water found it's way in and soaked some clothing in a cabinet. Must have been raining just right that it was getting in one of the service port cutouts (electric or maybe gas line port).

12. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

Gee, that sounds like my Sampson, also about 70 pounds. Any times it thunders, he wants to be as close to me as possible, including laying on top of me at night, whether we are at home or away. [:D]

Anyway, I've been through several thunderstorms, first one with the bliss of ignorance, and the PUP has done fantastic. I'm not worried about being in the PUP with a storm, but do tend to unplug my electronic devices, and in one occasion went out and unplugged from the electric hookup, to protect my appliances from power surges. These can kill any electronics.

13. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Thunderstorms at night are, indeed, an awesome experience! [;)]

Happened to us on our first outing, also. :)