SUV or truck?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by smoreking, Aug 8, 2012.

1. smoreking

smoreking Member

I need some information to help me decide if I should sell my 2002 F150 supercab and buy an SUV of equal value for all around family car and TV. Would like better gas mileage but I'm not sure I would gain any MPG in this trade. My truck gets about 18 hwy and last camping trip I got 14 while towing (pup weighs about 1800lbs roughly). Even if I don't gain MPG, it SEEMS like the family may be more comfortable with four actual doors and possibly more leg room. The hatchback storage is also appealing but I could get a used topper or tonneau cover for truck. I've read about shorter vehicles being more likely to have sway when towing. I feel in complete control in my truck and I want the same with SUV. I don't want to finance anything right now so that means I would be looking at about 4000.00. I'm my area there are lots of Jeep cherokee, Envoys, Trailblazers in the early 2000 models. If anyone has any thoughts, comments, or recommendations please help me decide if I want this.

2. IVBENS

IVBENS New Member

I know what you mean... I am considering a Suburban as a dedicated TV. I commute too much to have something like that as an everyday vehicle, but the extra space and towing capacity would be great when needed. I keep checking craigslist and ebay, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

3. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

I have a pickup, its a great TV, but I struggle with being limited to 5 people. Both of my kids are to the age of wanting to bring friends, and I can only take one. If i did it again, i would buy a full size SUV.

4. Jade

Jade New Member

I have a Ford Explorer SUV and love it but I do want a pickup. Think about what you haul in the back of your truck when you go camping. Can it all fit in the back of an SUV? How many people are you thinking will go on a regular basis? Is taking a 2nd car a possibility? I can seat 7 but that greatly reduces cargo room. Is finding a crew cab with four actual doors a possibilty as well?

As for gas mileage, really it won't be that different. Some trucks get better gas mileage than I do.

Sway, I don't think that will be a problem. We don't have any problems with it.

Really what it comes down to is what suits your needs right now. If the SUV would be more convient, then go for it. Maybe take some test drives with the family, see what you are looking at with cargo room and go from there.

5. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

I agree it comes down to two things:
    If you have back seat passengers, they need room too.
    Or, do you need the convenience of the truck bed?

There are trucks with four doors that could certainly fit your bill if you need the room and the bed. I think my next TV upgrade will be that way.

When I bought my Ranger it was me and one other. Now, with a family, I have a 14 yr old who's almost as tall as me that's cramped in the jump seat. He's been a heckuva trooper, through. We did 2500 mile trip this past summer and he didn't complain a bit about that. (Mind you, you have to be awake to complain about being uncomfortable, right? [LOL])

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Just a quick comment on this. Sway in the trailer should usually be corrected by rearranging your load in the trailer, but if that doesn't work, you will need an anti-sway device.
    Additionally, the TV can contribute to your sway problems if it has coil springs in the rear. Leaf springs in the rear of most pickups (except newer dodge rams which have coils in the rear) are usually much better
    at not being contributory to any sway problem you might have with your trailer.
    Leaf springs can't move sideways like a coil can. I have had many TV's and now find the the rear leaf springs seem to be far superior in overall handling, even more so with a larger trailer.
    And yes, shorter wheelbase vehicles which are usually narrower too, do contribute to any sway problem you might have with the trailer.

7. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

When I went looking for a newer TV I actually was only looking at trucks. But 4 full size doors on a truck is a bit hard to find in my price range. I ended up with a 4Runner that I love! It only seats 5 though. And I still have to figure out how I'm going to bring the kids bikes.

DH '70
    DW '67
    DS1.0 '98
    DS2.0 '02
    And Solomon, our inside Cavalier Spaniel

8. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

Like Jade, we are pulling our Evo1 with a Ford Explorer 4.6l V8. Being retired, there are the 2 of us. We have organized the inside so that we have the 2 person seat behind the co-pilots seat available when needed, otherwise it is folded down for cargo. The single seat behind the driver is removed for the fridge/freezer powered by an agm battery. 2010 was the last year the Explorer was built on the F150 platform so I have no idea how the later models perform with a pup but ours is a dream to drive.

9. smoreking

smoreking Member

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just give it some time and shop around to see what is out there in my price range. I would like something different, but I don't NEED it right now. My family is very determined to be out of debt by end of next year so we can relax and camp more. If the right deal comes along I will jump on it, and if not, we are ok with our truck for now. I would like a Tahoe, but I think I would have a hard time buying a decent one with the money I can get out of my truck. I need a little time to think about whether or not my interest in Jeep cherokees is just settling for less than the Tahoe. I'm getting a little older now and starting to see how I have done things in the past.

10. Jeff d

Jeff d Member

Another option that you could consider is a full size van. 15 passenger vans are a bit large but a 12 passenger or a 7 passenger conversion van would be easy to manage. They seem to be a lot cheaper than a comparable SUV since vans have kinda fallen out of style.

If you do look for vans you'll likely see a lot of cargo models for cheap and it would be tempting to install seats and seatbelts in the back. The issue is that they don't usually have rear AC/Heat and adding that would kill any potential deal there.

Also, if you go the conversion van route most have a very large rear seat that folds down into a bed. That could be more sleeping area for the kids if they bring friends. Or, put all the kids in the camper and make the van the master bedroom. You could even put a roof mount AC w/ electric heat on the van if you were making it the master bedroom.

11. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

do the car rentals around you have a large suv you can rent and try out?? even just fitting the family and gear not even towing the camper. that would give you the time at home to see if things would really work

12. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

My crew cab fills the bill as a TV and a SUV. 6.0 V8 4.10 gears awd. 10-12 towing Niagara, up to 19.5 non towing on hwy, 14-15 around town. My previous 4 vehicles were SUV"s. I don"t think I will go back to an SUV.

13. bigbluetraverse

bigbluetraverse New Member

Most SUV's get the job done. It comes down to your family needs more. The SUV's have more space inside for the long trips. The trucks I had before where ok to but you can get a little cramped if you have kids like I have.

As a trip requires at least one pillow, One blanket , one computer and or iPad, Cell Phone and snakes X 2 for tow teen girls.

With enough room to stretch out to sleep the entire drive.

HA HA see how we wound up with a Chevy Traverse...