SWAY CONTROL

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Beekeeper1, Jun 16, 2019.

1. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Doubt that you'll need it. But you have it already. I'd install it.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

3. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I had an 02 Coleman Mesa. It was a heavy camper and due to OEM design they were prone to sway.
    I owned the camper for over 5 years. I had three different TV’s and we used the camper a lot.
    I had always had problems with irregular tire wear. The axle was checked out and there was nothing wrong with it.

I started out pulling it with a Honda Oddy. It swayed a lot. I had to use a WDH. Eventually we switched to a Suburban 1500. It still swayed a little when traveling at highway speeds. We used a friction sway control bar. Recently we switched TV’s to a Ford F-250. It still swayed just a little but the truck could not feel it at all. At first I did not use the friction sway bar. I then noticed that a set of new tires wore bad during the all day drive to the beach. It finally clicked that the wear pattern was due to sway. I needed to use the sway bar, even if the little bit of sway was a non issue pulling with the large truck.

So sway is impacted by TV vehicle size, how you distribute weight when loading the camper, tire class rating, tongue weight, and leveling the camper to TV.

I now have a new hybrid. It is a little heavier, but the weight is balanced right. I have no sway at all.

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have used a friction bar since we purchased the pup new from the dealer. We don't leave home without it. We have driven on highways with bad enough cross winds and the pup did fine. Trucks or buses blowing by you is enough to cause a little sway, but having the friction bar does help!!!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

Tow vehicle size has no influence in trailer sway. It may play a role in noticing sway but as you have experienced yourself sway is still present. Speed however plays a big role. If you experience sway you need to slow down.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Im not going to say the tv does or does not influence sway. But a bigger tv with trailer breakes is nice to have if you do experience it. As was mentioned, even with the pups smaller profile, wind and trucks can cause it to sway, no matter how good you pack it and ballance it. A bar, is cheap insurance.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

Sjm9911 likes this.