Switch bunk ends?

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Katskamper, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

thats probably easier!

Kat
    2003 Skamper Sport

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

the king bed track crosses the front door when closed

Kat
    2003 Skamper Sport

3. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

I've thought about your question... And it would be A LOT of work; first for the mod, and then during set up.

If your canvases zip to separate the bunk ends from the center, you can swap the bunk end canvases.

Then you swap the bed platforms. I am not sure how YOUR king slides out, but my rail has two pieces on each side that '"telescope." You will have to see if you only need to swap the platform portion of the rail, or the entire rail assembly.

Finally, you should definitely put some platform-to-ground supports on the king bed, because without a huge weight in the front bunk, you will likely tip the camper. You might also have to modify the bed platform so that the load from the ground support not concentrated in a small area, causing it to punch through the platform.

Every time you set up the camper, you will have to deploy the platform-to-ground supports and adjust the length depending on the site characteristics. AND you need to check the bed level during you stay because "some settling may have occurred."

I can understand why you are thinking about doing this, but maybe you can find a way to work around the hitch. Perhaps you could invent a bed push/pull assist rod for the front end. It could have 2 poles to the ground, with height adjustable legs (to enable a level pull out), and a level pole or beam that attaches to the grab handles/straps. I think developing this would be a better, and possibly more profitable, use of your time. Based on what I've read in your blog, you can do this!

4. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

You will have to work around the hitch regardless of what size bed is on which side. I sort of made a quantum leap that the core problem you described is the king becoming difficult to push in/pull out, in which case, I'd try lubricating or replacing the track system and rollers. Like others have said, your proposal seems more like a ground-up rebuild with high cost and risk.

Mine pull out and push in like butter (I'm not saying that to brag - it's just in good condition). It doesn't matter which bed would be on which side with our hitch.

5. dougfam

dougfam Member

I have often thought about doing this task on our camper. Mainly so we wouldn't have to unhitch for a single night stop on our road trips. We have a front queen and rear full, so I don't think the weight will be that much different for us. It's just finding the time to take the task on. I'm sure it would take a few hours to complete.

6. R00

R00 Active Member

In my buddys trailer I added a small handle under the mattress on the bunk ends. He pulls the bunks in 3/4 of the way from inside.

7. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

wow! thanks for the serious & silly responses.[emoji79]

1. im single, go camping alone most times, or with older lady friends who dont have my strength.
    my rig, my setup/teardown.

2. mom bought the popup & i inherited it when she died in '13. ive already put in several long weekends of maintenance & upgrades on it.
    its been garage kept its whole life. looks new.

on my current budget, cant afford to buy different.
    in the distant future, most likely, i will do a custom build to get what i want.

but for NOW:
    yes, i lubricated the metal parts. its the plywood on the King bed that sags in the middle & drags on frame when pushing/pulling. i keep replacing the loop catchers underneath.

yes, i use the additional bed supports on king end
    the previous owners didnt.

yes, i attached loops made of rachet strap so i could use a closet rod pole to help pull. might have to do that inside too.

i even added larger stronger caster wheels inside on front wall to help support it while moving.

i have considered bed to ground support because it moves- and ive read "the bed broke" postings!

Sent from my iPad

8. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

I think it is very possible to do and should require very little modifications if any at all
    The bunk ends zip up in the same place so the canvas should be an easy switch
    The bed ends fit now so swapping ends should be easy
    You may need to do something about the bed supports, one end or the other may work when switched

Do it and don't forget the pics.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Sounds like just replacing the wood on the king would do the trick. However, I have no clue where to find a piece of wood that large. Maybe some kind of special order. It would be so crazy heavy that it may be worth having an RV place do it.

10. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

If the wood is sagging maybe you could just flip it over....???

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We have a similar layout with our OFF-ROAD 2008 STARCRAFT R/T POPUP.

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

This is our floorplan
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

I have a couple of reasons not to swap the tent beds.

I really like the idea of having the front deck under the bed to keep animals and other creatures from wandering under our bed setup when we are camping. Gives us extra security...

Another reason is our tent bed area also has the cassette potty and shower setup on this end of the popup and we have a pull curtain that separates this whole area from the access door from the other side... The pull curtain adds some privacy... With our current layout we can walk right up to the tent bed whereas if it was on the other end we would have to climb over the wrap around seating to get into the bed.

There is only two of us usually camping and the area behind our wrap around seating always becomes our catch all area... That probably would not work out very well being our master bed area.

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

I also think you will run into some problems actually swaping the two tent beds... I would look into why you are having difficulty pulling out the bed ends. Mine works just fine. I did have to modify the seal to work better sealing off the air gaps between the tent bed floor and the end of the trailer walls... The OEM seal allowed you to look under the pulled out and see daylight. It would allow night insects come inside when we had lights on inside the trailer... Also was another cold spot to deal with keeping everything warm inside during cold nights.

Roy Ken

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

As for the king plywood sagging...

Maybe you can install some cross bracing supports to get rid of the sag? On our Fleetwood queen bunk there is a support/brace that is mounted under the bunk that runs front to back under the plywood.

13. Orchid

Hmmmmm .... that's a great idea. Once again, I overlook the obvious. [;)]
    Or this ...

I have enjoyed some of the goofy answers on this thread, but I really would want to fix the problem too.

If that's your actual camper in the first photo, it's gorgeous and looks brand new.

14. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i think so. separating zippers in all 4 corners.
    support poles will need adjusting though.

15. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

catalog glam shot. but almost new for its age.

16. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

the plywood is pieced, with a thin strip covering the seams underneath. i added headliner vinyl to the bed deck to prevent splinters. flipping wood requires deconstructing the frame.

17. Orchid

No good deed goes unpunished. [:(]

18. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

Why not add a handle on the inside like another poster suggested? You could make it out of rope so there wouldn't be clearance issues. Plus it would be a lot less work.

19. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

Good luck with this project.

20. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

I vote for the metal brace in the center, underneath, front to back so support the pieced plywood and provide a smooth surface for the pull out to rest on during the pull.