Switch by the door in a Coleman for step light

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Matt O, May 2, 2011.

1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Last spring someone posted about the switch by the door in thier Coleman, they had no idea what it was for or what it did. I had the same switch and had no idea what it was for as well......many others did not know what it did either. It turns out it is for a light that illuminates the step. Of course it wasn't working. I tried to find the old post to put my pics up but I couldn't find the old post.

I finally got around to buying and installing a new amber LED light ($5) to put there and an amber "porch" light ($3) for the side of the PopUp.

I wired the step light to the switch on the inside and then tapped off of that wire for my porch light which has its own switch on the fixture so I can turn it on and off while I am outside.

The porch light provides decent light in the immediate area. The step light illuminates the step and just a bit more. I wired it so I could turn the outside lights off with the switch inside.....I left the step light on all night long this past weekend (the porch light was off). It did not noticeably drain my battery, I was dry camping.

[​IMG]
    The switch

[​IMG]
    Both lights on with my flash

[​IMG]
    Both lights on, no flash

[​IMG]
    Just the step light

2. bigelmo

bigelmo New Member

Great idea, good pictures, thanks

3. ColoDisco

ColoDisco Member

Being a Audi mechanic I come across some cool stuff every now and then. Well I have a spare 3rd brake light from a newer A6 that is all LED. I have contemplated installing it above my step and adding a switch inside for it.

Great idea!