System updates competed today

Discussion in 'Moderator Section' started by pgordemer, Apr 3, 2010.

1. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

I have done some minor updating today, this is a precursor to install SMF 2.0 RC3 (we are on RC2 right now) some time next week.

Simple Portal (The frontpage and leftside blocks)
    Ugraded from 2.31 to 2.32 today. Lots of minor fixes and compatibility with SMF RC3. Frontpage blocks now all have rounded corners, articles/topics can now use a {cutoff} tag to control displayed length instead of fix # of chars of all. Adds support for SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Fast updates of custom pages and frontpage blocks. Fixes random incorrect page numbers.

Search Index
    I have rebuilt the search index. This was not done when we did the cutover from Infoquest as I figured nothing really changed, but I am not sure if the index over there was ever correct. I noticed after I reindexed here (took about 4 hours), that a search finds many more topics and is significantly faster.

Template Tweaks
    I have fixed a few places where the template was not displaying "pup" specific graphics and fixed a few more rounded corner issues. Minor respacing for the Ad banner in the top to help out those with resolutions of 1024 x 768.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Cool, thanks Phil. I like the {cutoff} tag for the front page articles. Lets see if you and I can go over the "Download" mod before you do the upgrade to RC3.

Thanks

3. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

The main SMF forum software has been updated to SMF 2.0 RC3. Visually you should not see much of a difference other then better spacing of blocks and much faster topic/message retrieval. On the back end side, lots changed that inproves performance as the board gets busier.

If something looks different, let me know, I may have missed a "theme" edit from the lastg version (We modify the theme by hand here, so it has to be redone each time the board software puts out an update).

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Great! I used that new {cutoff} tag in the current Trips & Tricks and it works as advertised.

5. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

4/19/2010 11:30AM - I have changed the coding of the ad banners. They were using Javascript. It has been changed to the PHP readfile method. Though java is far simpler to implement, its not universal and its speed depends on the Java loaded at the user workstation. It has been changed to the PHP readfile method.

I notice a slight speed increase in rendering pages.

Future implication of this is when we are ready to go do google ads, we can have different sizes and locations mixed without having to hardcode things. Also allows for our current banner ads to be different sizes (like the banner ads that link to tips and tricks can be the more standard 460 x 90 size.

6. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Upgraded Linux Centos 5.4 Operating System to Centos 5.5.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

When was that Phil? I didn't even notice any downtime to the site.

8. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Linux OS updates are done on the live system, then just a single reboot. Reboot took less than 2 minutes, so it might have been while you were reading. Done at 11:15 AM.

9. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Completed a manual code change in the portal blocks to not display certain blocks to admins. The way it is now, a block that is set to display for guests only also shows up for the Admins.

Steve, the adsense code block (#67) and the new frontpage code block temp name of Guest Only (#68) have been manually excluded from displaying to admins. The frontpage guest block is turned off for the moment. When you create new blocks that are guest only, let me know the block number (You can get it from the URL when you edit it), so I am manually exclude it from Admin display.

Nathanial - the creator of simpleportal - will be adding administrator as an group member check box for the future. My hack just looks for the block number and doesn't display it if you are in the admin group.

10. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Upgraded Aeva Media 2.02 to 2.03

11. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Upgraded Tapatalk to 1.21

12. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Cool, thanks Phil!

13. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Upgraded Aeva Media to 2.04

Steve, the catagory displaying codes issues is now fixed. For any that have the problem, just edit the corrections and this time they will stick.

14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Wow, that was fast. Thanks

15. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Upgraded SMF Forum software from 2.0 RC3 to 2.0 RC4.

Upgraded Tapatalk from 1.2.1 to 1.2.2

Upgraded Simpleportal from 2.3.2 to 2.3.3

Install updated version of move topic notification for RC4 compatibility.

16. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Upgraded Tapatalk to 1.3.0

17. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Cool, Thanks Phil

18. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Updated Tapatalk to 2.0

SMF 2.0 RC3 and RC4/RC5 - Version 2.0.0

1. added ability to upload multiple images to forum
    2. added ability to update user profile / avatar
    3. fixed email notification issue

19. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Cool.

I hope the "added ability to update user profile / avatar" check the permissions.

20. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Updated to TapaTalk 3.0 .