T Train Coleman Utah

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Stang65fst, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

Fixing a few crack on the ABS as well as some floor rot that caused the side to "flap" a little in the wind.

I am using West Systems 655 for the ABS repair. I drilled the ends of the cracks and created a "V" then filled in with the 655. Will get it sanded down smooth again then plan to coat the ABS surfaces with bed liner.

I have a new roof seal, storage box seal and AC seal.

The side door on the storage had gotten water along with the floor. I have a sheet of marine grade plywood 3/4" ($79) to make the repairs in the floor and the side of the storage compartment. I thought about creating a lip above the side compartment door to help keep the water out.

IMG_20180118_155832.jpg
    IMG_20180111_120132.jpg
    IMG_20180118_155828.jpg
    IMG_20180118_155847.jpg
    IMG_20180118_155905.jpg
    IMG_20180118_155837.jpg
    IMG_20180118_155841.jpg
    IMG_20180118_155832.jpg

I am still working on how I will fix the side floor where it is rotten so that the side has something to attach to. My thought is to scab a piece in as it will be under the drawers of the couch and no one will ever know. At this point in time I am not willing to tear all the floor out and redo all the cabinets. The wife also pleaded with me not to do that before we take our first official camping trip. Previous repairs she knows that I can get wild, tore apart an entire tow truck to redo it and make it right. It is right but took about a year but it runs so good. So she is a smart chicky.

Canvas is in good shape, I only found one tear.

Mamie likes this.
  2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Somewhere here on the Portal there is a Post where a guy did a very detailed storage box rebuild. I will try to find it for you.

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

I redid my storage box and it is a pain. I had to do mine because I had separation of the box from the trailer. This was making the bed pull out to far and a gap opening up between the ABS front and the metal sides on the top. If you don't have that, then I wouldn't suggest the work.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I just found the source of the rot - saw that mastiff peeing on the side!!!! :) [}:)]

balbrt1 and jnc like this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

try using treated wood instead of particle boards.

6. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

7. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

Hahaha that is a great response. He is Norman and he is actually a 8 month old bloodhound.

I scored the last piece of marine grade plywood at the local lumbar yard. I thought about treated wood but I don't want the chemicals they use in the camper with us.

I also have a video of the repairs it is not put together yet but I have several minutes so far to edit.

Luckily my latches are still good!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  8. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I've got the same storage box floor rot in mine. There are good posts online detailing the rebuild, but it's significant work. I'm definitely not looking forward to doing mine!!

9. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

So things might have gotten a little crazy in the garage today.

IMG_20180121_165109.jpg IMG_20180121_165111.jpg IMG_20180121_163527.jpg IMG_20180121_165054.jpg IMG_20180121_165149.jpg IMG_20180121_163524.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    jnc and mrkrag like this.
  10. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Your inside walls look good. I'm so hoping mine do too. Where the spare tire mount is on the back, there are 2 big holes that were filled with caulking, so I'm pretty sure there is some kind of rot there.

What are those 2 metal pieces in the last pic?

11. jnc

Those metal brackets are where the front panel mounts to the interior wall.

12. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

So there's a hole on each side? I've never seen that before. Don't know if mine is like that or not.

13. jnc

I found it. search ( Front storage box repair ) by jman1200. I believe you will find this helpful.

14. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

Excellent question, those 2 metal brackets are on the front of the camper storage box and that is where the front latches of the storage lid box attach. That lip is where the top of the top of storage box attaches with the screws. I can take a picture of it the way it would sit if that doesn't make sense.

The storage box and the wood is so poorly made. I will probably replace the bulkhead as well it is swollen on the edges and if I am there may as well get it done. I may try to insulate that wall in some fashion. I am going to insulate the side that I have off as well. I will have one of my clients bend up a diamond plate box for the front, hopefully.

I thought about putting a diamond front directly over the front and leave the storage box off and make a place to haul a dirt bike or 2. Figured the wife might not go for that.

15. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

IMG_20180121_185849.jpg IMG_20180121_185836.jpg IMG_20180121_185843.jpg

16. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/front-storage-box-repair.90016/ this is a great reference. I did think about going this route and keeping the stock factory but it is just going to be crap again later. I did plan to just replacing the floor, my wife came out and said what are you doing...just going to replace the floor. Obviously that didn't happen.

"Hey babe and you help me take this nose piece off" I have a great wife she did help me take it off. I pulled it off in one piece which was probably the hardest task. I did take the bunk stops out and slide the bed forward to access the top screws that hold the top above the bulkhead.

In all, with some time it really was not hard to take it apart.

I also have video that I will put together. Probably when I am all done. We book at campsite in March so the pressure is on to get this done and back on the road.

jnc likes this.
  17. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Now the bracket makes sense. I thought it was attached to the inside wall. I want to insulate too and hopefully my sidewalls will be okay.
    I think making a toy hauler on the front is a good idea. You can always store stuff in the tv, but you can't store dirt bikes there. I think that is one of the great things about a used camper -- you can make it anything you want. The biggest change to mine will be trying to find extra storage space. If I was an avid camper, I'd like to get a couple scooters, 50cc - 150cc. But I don't think I could haul them on the back and don't have room up front.

18. jnc

If your not going to use the plastic's I maybe interested in the front panel.

19. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

You can have first dibs. It does have some cracks in it. At this moment in time I would rather not use it. Now the question is make a new storage box or make a open storage rack that can carry bikes, coolers etc.

I like the storage box because everything can just be put in there and tucked away and you know it is always there ready to go. I like the open cargo area it doesn't lock you down, taking different items and shapes with you. Such as loading up kids bikes, coolers outside, totes or dirt bikes.

TV is typically full 6 people and 2 dogs (Golden Retriever and Bloodhound).

20. jnc

It seems like you need a open deck more than the box. I bet it would be pretty easy to cover the front with FRP or diamond plate than bolt on one of those racks that are made to go on a hitch.