Tailgating

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by apachejeep, Nov 13, 2011.

1. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

These days..............I have noticed many more Tailgaters riding a few car lengths too close behind me on the road. Generally I try to maintain speed , but this just makes them get closer to my Popup bumper. Makes me uneasy, and is this a reflection of the new American driving habits. Whats going on these days? It happens a lot.
    What do you all do in this situation.

2. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Take your foot off the gas and make them go around. If it is a single lane, they might get the hint and back off.

I just keep going slower and slower. I'm in no hurry to get to my camp spot - I just start a little early in my "slow down" mode.

3. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Sir

Since about 1975'ish the Vehicle Insurance Company's
    have been saying this is a problem. Because of the
    medical injury and vehicle repair cost their "Bean-Counter's"
    have had something to say about this.

This information then spilled into the Traffic Safety Management,
    which is where the Law Makers where able To Write Ticket's.

As just said the easy way for you to combat the rude driver
    behind you is to slow another 5 MPH ( No Brake Lights Please ).
    After a moment they will pass you and shake a finger at you
    showing part of their IQ.

Rodger & Gabby
    COS

4. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

I drove truck in Kalifornia for 35 [A] years. Nothing has changed it is just getting worse [:(O].Retired to Arizona 16 years ago [:D]. Went back to Kalifornia about 6 years ago and could not believe the speeds and the way people drive. Speed limit 70 and everybody is 85/90.
    Left the next day and never looked back... Good Luck guys.... AZ [8D]

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I think there is something about being behind a trailer that drives many drivers crazy. I've noticed that many people pass me in situations and at speeds where they would not pass me if I had no trailer. They may not like having their field of view reduced and/or I think they perceive themselves going slower even if they aren't. In response to these things they get stupid and then do stupid things.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I noticed the same thing here in NJ. I'll set my cruise control for 65 and if they don't like it let them pass! I even drive in the slow lane and they tailgate!!

7. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

Have witnessed much of the same in the Midwest. People have no respect that the 3k lbs trailer doesn't stop like their Civic! We should all get Yosemite Sam bumper stickers that say 'Back Off' like the big trucks use to have... Grin

8. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

I can't really see the folks behind me while towing the brick. [8D] But I'm sure they're back there, cussing and following too closely. When I'm driving without a trailer behind me I have been known to "wash" my windshield in an attempt to get tailgaters to back off. Most people get some of the mist that goes over the roof and realize they're too close. They hit their wipers and back off. I had one lady drive with her wipers on like it was raining as I drained my full washer fluid bottle trying to get her to back off.

9. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Sorry, I don't agree that one form of aggression (spraying someone behind you) is an appropriate way to deal with another (tailgating). This is how road rage escalates.

Let them pass when they can, or pull over when you can if it bothers you that much.

10. CarNutCass

The woman in question...the one who refused to back off ... was following too closely on an interstate highway in the second lane from the right. She had a lane to the right and two to the left to go around me. She did not, even after I slowed to 55 mph. The majority of my daily commute is on I-70 so slowing much more than that is not really an option. The average speed on I-70 seems to be far in excess of the posted 60 mph...more like 75-80.

I'm a pretty passive guy...but the most saintly among us can get frustrated when a clueless or obnoxious driver follows too closely. Not only is it discourteous but it puts my safety and personal property at risk.

I'm happy for you if you're able to maintain a Zen-like state in all scenarios but, unfortunately, I am not and do occasionally get aggravated. I'd say that giving someone a quick windshield wash to say, "You're too close" is pretty nonabrasive. Much better than hitting the brakes or throwing a finger up.

11. mrwithit

mrwithit New Member

I agree with this having been guilty of it myself many times. Its a little different, I think, in my case as there is a 2 lane mountain pass everyone is heading for. With limited passing zones we have to jockeying 20 miles before the Pass. I'm not out being reckless or making foolhardy passes by any means but being behind the wrong truck/trailer combo can add up to 30 minutes to my commute. So yes the perception that you are going slower or that you will soon be going slower is a real reason.

12. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Cass, I have no doubt the woman was following too closely; she was to blame. I just believe in acts of retaliation as that can start an escalation that leads to road rage issues. I'd have moved to the right lane until she passed. Easy enough, and less stressful for both of you.

13. CarNutCass

I will admit that the act of washing my windshield did not start off as retaliatory, but in that instance, it was by the time I drained the jug. [:O]

I believe that many folks don't realize they're following too closely. I've known a few people who just drove like that. Everywhere they went they were a car length behind the guy in front of them. At 35 mph this isn't too much of a problem, but at 65........

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree and I think it's pretty hilarious. A person has to be really dense (or rude) to not realize they are too close when catching windshield over spray!

Tail-gaters are a huge problem here in FL. Up north it was only the occasional jerk, here is seems like every other driver. I wish I could launch black smoke bombs from the back of my car.

15. CarNutCass

I saw a guy in a pickup do something a while back that I'd never do to thwart a tailgater ...but I thought it was hilarious just the same.

The pickup was in the left lane, stuck behind a long line of cars. The car behind the pickup was probably less than 20' behind him, flashing lights and honking, as if he somehow deserved the lane more than anyone else. The PU driver tired of the jerk behind him but couldn't get over due to fairly heavy traffic. The pickup was lifted and had pretty big mudder tires. The truck slowly drifted over the yellow line toward the median wall and kicked up all sorts of loose rocks and you could hear the heavy plink plink plink of thousands of pebbles sandblasting the jerk behind him.

It only took one shot of that and the car backed off big time. The evil side of me smiled a little smile.

16. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

That's exactly the sort of behavior that can escalate a bothersome situation into a violent one.

The jerk in back was probably just that, an impatient, jerk. But maybe the driver had learned his wife or child had been injured in a wreck and was trying to get to the hospital, hence the flashing lights and honking. And instead of someone yielding to them, they let loose on them, compounding the situation.

17. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Damn....I thought this thread was going to be about beer, chicken wings, and grilled sausage! [:D]

I don't think it's anything new. I've been driving for 21 years, and it was a problem then just as it is now. I can't say that it's any better or worse than it was when I first started driving. You throw in a heavily populated metro area into the mix, and the problem is exponentially compounded. You leave a car length between you and next vehicle here during rush hour and someone's going to try to squeeze their vehicle in there and cause bigger problems.

The flip side.....there are so many people out there that really have no business driving on the interstate. Just this morning, there was a little old lady doing 35 in a 65 and in the left lane. In the span of a couple minutes, there were 3 near misses. The rules are pretty simple.....if you're slow, stay to the right. And really, if you can't come somewhat reasonable close to doing the speed limit, you probably shouldn't be on the freeway.

18. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I was almost ran off the road just this past Thursday evening. Was leaving a dinner date with DH and the ramp to get back onto the interstate starts at 2 lanes, then quickly goes to one. The NORM here is that most folks rotate letting the right hand lane cars merge into the full lane. Well this idiot thought he should have all the room so first he zoomed up to where the lane ended and kept jerking his wheel like he was going to shove the rest of us off the road. I let a car in before me and the guy behind me slowed down to let the idiot in, which he of course took advantage of. Next thing I know I have a car so close to my butt that you could NOT even see his headlights. I thought my 'self dimming' rear view mirror went crazy on me. But it was him climbing up my tail pipe!! Ok so we get on the interstate and it was clear, so I cruise over to the left hand lane to get away from our horrible entrance ramps here (very dangerous, many times over) and the idiot takes the center lane and slows down. I told DH to hold on because this arsehole wants to 'play'. Sure enough, I get next to him while passing and he (and I'm not exaggerating) quickly jerked into my lane, pushing me into the gravel strip next to the median. I maintained control and he then hauled butt away. I told DH to get his plate but he's a pacifist and said 'he's gone let's just go home.' GGGRRR THIS is one of the reason, amongst many, that these mongrels keep doing what they're doing. No one gets involved to stop them.

This happened once when I was alone, on a mountain road with cliff on my side. Some doctor, complete with little paper hat, passed me on a blind double curve, on a DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!! ACK Well, the next stop sign, there he was, so I followed him. We were in my neighborhood at that point. Called the cops in the meanwhile. The guy was so 'scared', he pulled into a cul-de-sac and was trapped! LMAO He opened his window and asked me PLEASE to let him go and I said NO!, rolled my window up, and here came the cops. The doc admitted what he did and said (hold your breath) "if she had been hurt, I'm a doctor and could have been of service". WHEN was he going to know if I NEEDED help, since he FLEW past me?? Well, I PROMISED that cop I'd see them in court and now am ashamed because, again, DH insisted I let it go. That will be the LAST TIME I 'let it go'.

Like y'all, I'm sick of it and don't usually 'do' anything back except a lot of verbals within my car's limits!! But sometimes, people have to take account of their actions. So as long as 911 exists, I will be the activist calling them in. They do NOT have a right to put MY life in jeopardy!!

Remember that if you're driving through Roanoke anytime soon!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    [:D]

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

cwoldman13 said:
    I think that's pretty much true in most major metropolitan areas these days, at least during rush hours. I know it is here. I like to leave at least three car lengths (driver training books say one for each 10 mph but when was the last time you saw six or seven lengths on a freeway in a big city?) but there is no way I can because if I leave more than one some jerk fills it. That's one reason why I avoid driving during rush hour with my trailer.

20. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Yeah, I'd hate to tow the p'up during rush hour. We caught the tail end of rush hour this past summer on one of our Friday evening departures.....fortunately, it was the tail end of it, and we were trying to get out of the heart of the city, rather than in....so it could have been worse.