Take-Down, Lowering the Roof

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by PopUpSteve, Jul 2, 2019.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I've been meaning to write this for a while now.

When I put down my roof, I look at that last bit like when you deflate a pool raft. You got to get that last bit of air out.

I have a power lift system but this would apply to a hand crank as well.

What I do:
    • Always check for internal obstructions before lowering the roof (people have forgotten to do this and have even left the door in place). I leave pillow on the beds and the shepherd poles but that's it.
    • Lower the roof until it stops but pausing at a few points along the way to tuck in the canvas.
    • On most, the roof stops at about 2 inches above the rim.
    • Extend out the turnbuckle latches so that they grab the roof-side latch.
      • If the two latches do not meet, even with the turnbuckle being fully extended, apply a little weight to the corner of the roof to get the two to meet but ONLY if the gap between the two latches is 2 inches or less. Anything more and something is wrong.
    • Using the turnbuckle lever to pull the roof down but do not close the lever.
    • Walk around the camper doing the same to each corner.
    • I like to think that the time it takes to walk around the camper, doing each turnbuckle, allows for the (using the deflating pool raft analogy) air to get out. [:D] These walk-arounds also give you time to look for other items which need to be put away. But don't get distracted! Put those items on the roof as you walk around so they will be seen and addressed before hitting the road.
    • Returning to the first turnbuckle, release the lever and separate latches from one another.
    • Shorten the turnbuckle until the two latches can once again be connected.
    • Again, using the turnbuckle lever, pull down the roof down.
    • If the turnbuckle can not be shortened any more, push the lever into the lock position. Otherwise, return to this corner and try again on the next pass.
    • Continue to each corner and walking around the camper until all levers are in the locked position.
    • Do another walk around to verify the all levers are in the locked position.
    Ideally, the turnbuckles will fully retracted when the levers are in the locked position.

I personally feel that there are certain tasks which only one person should be responsible to complete. This is one of those tasks. Having one person doing this will help prevent mistakes. And if something is missed, one person to blame.[LOL]

2. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

Good tips. I’m interested in knowing what are some people’s procedures for folding in their canvas as they lower the roof. We have a slideout so we have extra material to play with, so I lower the roof in 3-4 stages. I have a wooden broom handle with a rounded edge that I use to gently push in the canvas as far as it goes each time I go around so it hopefully ends up flat. Seems like I can’t get rid of the bunching up of it at around the last foot or so, that’s where I walk around one more time pushing in extra and visually looking down the rails to make sure there’s no pinching. Would like to hear other people’s methods for canvas folding.

myride likes this.
  3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I do exactly what PopUpSteve and you do.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

With the roof at about 3ft, 2ft & 1ft from closer, I do a walk-around to tuck in the canvas and to make sure the canvas isn't snagged on the lift system. If I can reach the canvas from the inside, normally this is only the front bunkend canvas, I'll pull it in a bit on that first walk-around.

fronsm likes this.
  5. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

. . . now, if only I could reliably remember to put the flippen door up BEFORE I push the bunks in and begin to lower the roof! Sigh . . .

Kimberly N Parker and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Kimberly N Parker

Kimberly N Parker New Member

Gets me every time.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

How to remember: Don't lower the roof if the steps are down. If the steps are down you can still go inside which means you are not done putting stuff away. If you put the steps up and you're looking at the door as you're doing it, you forgot something.

Steps Up - Roof Down.

8. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Now all I have to do is remember that. I usually leave the "porch" down until the top goes down as I have a number of items I stow in that space after everything is down and tight. I will have to change a pattern that I have used for a long time and that might be even more difficult than remembering that darn door. Maybe I can stop propping the door open as I load it - having to open it every time I come and go will make me aware it is there - bungying it open sort of makes it disappear from my mind. Speaking of mind - yes, I think we are indeed!

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Just have to get into a routine.

10. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

I found after it is down as far as it goes and there is still an inch or two just put some slack in the winch cable and it will easily go down if you push it and latch it. Otherwise you are pulling against the tight cable.