taking a shower

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by dave123, Apr 24, 2013.

1. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

[ALPU] hi all! we long time boondocker tent people now going to paid cg. is it ok to take outside showers in a tent at paid cg??? and what about the wet ground thats created when we pack up??? do we cover with dirt? i don't care to pay to take a shower.... thanks dave..... T minus 4 days to vacation lol

2. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I don't know how it is in CA, but here in PA, almost all the private campgrounds I have been to do not allow the shower tents. They don't want all that "grey" water on the ground. There are lots of others on here that have said the same thing in other states. You may want to call ahead and find out.

3. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

I think it's frowned upon in that situation. I use my own shower when I'm dry camping (no amenities) but not in developed cg. I use a concrete mixing tray from Home Depot to catch grey water and then put it in a bucket to dispose of. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Large-Mixing-Tub-887102A/202086174#.UXfgWUoRQSQ I was questioned by a ranger last year when I opened the drain on my on-board clean water tank before I left and had water running across the ground from my PUP whilst packing up in a state park. All this while we're in a drought....

4. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Don't know about you area but any private campgrounds I've been to here in Michigan I have yet had to pay to use the shower if I'm camping there. I have paid to use a shower while I'm staying at my uncle's hunting cabin but then again I'm not a registered camper at the near by campground where the shower is. I gladly pay the $$ for a shower just before we leave because 2 guys in the pickup 7 hour drive no shower for a week = [:(O] [:(O] [:(O] AKA BAD SMELL

5. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to roughing it???? [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Most campgrounds, private or public do not want gray water discharged onto the ground. (Consider the cumulative effects of every camper showering or otherwise dumping gray water in the site.] As for paying for showers, it just depends on the specific campground. In all the private campgrounds we've used, the shower was included in the camping fee. We've used state parks in NY, CO and UT, and only the CO one required a separate payment. NPs also have pay showers.

[For us, the hassle of dealing with our own shower isn't worth the effort, if no showers are available (we keep a good stash of quarters) we make do with basin baths and cleaning hair over the gray water bucket. We seldom have water hook up in the site, and have no water system in the pup, so we're pretty much in the ground camping mode - except it is nice to take the basin bath in the pup, with the stove close by to heat water.]

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

dave 123, I don't think there is much of a difference between private or public campgrounds on the point of running gray water on the ground. These days almost all forbid it. Part of the reason is that soap, detergent, etc., gets into the ecosystem. Another part of it is that each campsite would be a smelly, insect-ridden bog if every camper dumped their gray water (from any source) on the ground. I think you have three choices: pay for the shower, find a way to capture the gray water from your shower or go without.

8. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

Besides when you leave a puddle of gray water on the ground, what about the next campers that use the site? Do you really want to walk around in some strangers bath water? EEEEUUUWWW...

Hygienic reasons alone says its not a cool idea to dump gray on the ground.

9. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

I agree. Don't leave a wet spot for the next campers.

10. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

The solution is as simple as catching your waste water and disposing of it properly as I do when I shower in my Aliner. I've heard of people who use everything from a wash tub to an inflatable kiddy pool to capture the run-off. Then use a small electric (or manual) pump to fill your waste water receptacle. We haul ours off with a blue tote, as do many.

Chip

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I don't know where you live, but almost every Private CG I have gone to has free showers..

12. rambus

rambus Member

I know CG's do not like campers discharging grey water on the ground. last week we were camping and my site just happened to have a sewer connection witch I hooked up( lucky I had a hose long enough) well my ac unit was dripping water in the area near the hose and I did see the one of the CG staff actually stop and look to make sure that my sewer line was hooked up. Also if I was your neighbor and I was down hill I don't think I wold like grey water trickling towards my camp.

13. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

My guilty conscience is prompting me to get more information on this 'grey water' stuff. We only camp in MI, State Parks. So when I wash dishes and I throw the dish water, (wash water and rinse) in the bushes behind our site (we usually are on outside sites) is this considered dumping grey water. As I type this question I feel like a moron because what I described sounds exactly like the definition of dumping grey water. SO.... where should I put this water? thanks.

14. generok

generok Well-Known Member

It goes beyond what the CG owners want. Nearly every state in the US prohibits the discharge of untreated greywater to the surface, subsurface or waters of the US. So, the Rangers or CG Host may enforce it, but the real issue is it is normally illegal. So, I ask this question... if you dump the ice and water out of your cooler, is it greywater? It's not drinking water, it's not blackwater... perhaps it is a foodstuff, which means it's littering.

15. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

PeaceDude, that's definitely gray water; don't dump it. Collect it in a container that works for you; a 5 gallon bucket is easy. Nearly all campgrounds have a dump station where you dump your black water (toilet) and you can dump it there. Many campgrounds have dedicated gray water stations that are nothing more than a gravel filled hole in the ground with a strainer of some sort on top.

As for showering; I wouldn't pay to shower. We have a shower in our p'up, but we've never used it. If I was faced with paying for a shower, I'd either use the p'up or baby wipes. Baby wipes are the shizzle on extended camping/hunting trips in remote places and I don't see why it wouldn't suffice for the duration of the ride home. JMTC.

16. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

Thank you, Belch! I agree with the baby wipes comment, too. If disaster strikes and we loose our electricity/water for long (as in End-of-the-World stuff) I am hoping to have a big stock pile of baby wipes and I dread the day when they run out. [LOL]

17. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

A lot of CG when tent camping it's ok to empty you disk pan. But some CG prohibit it and have designated spots to empty you disk pans. Most CG prohibit or would prefer you not to discharge any water from a camper.

18. Jim_Rockford

Jim_Rockford Member

LOL this cracks me up , meanwhile most folks are spreading a nasty chemical compound on there lawn monthly or twice a year, cars are leaking antifreeze and farmers are spreading used poop and chemicals on the food supply in millions of acres, but you can't let some shower water touch the ground...LMFAO

19. rawlus

rawlus New Member

Funny all the "I wouldn't pay to shower" remarks. Most I've ever paid was $0.25 for 10min. I've heard of stingy but it seems wet wipes or the time/effort it takes to blow up kiddie pools, rig water catches, collect dirty wafer, manhandle if to a dump station. I'd be surprised if you could do a proper shower for less than a quarter in expense or effort.

At most places the showers are free.

I suppose there are some who probably "like" the effort of a Rube Goldberg shower setup and all the prep and takedown involved. Perhaps that gives one something to do for the day.

I have an outdoor shower head on our a frame, never used it.

20. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

to jim, i find the subject funny also. some people i have read here take their grey water and dump it on the fire, i dont see the difference much. [:!] i havent seen anyone carry a 5 gallon bucket filled with grey water. maybe it is NY [?:~{] [LOL]