taking a shower

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by dave123, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Ha! You just jogged my memory. On the South Side of Blanding, UT, just as you come into town, there is a small campground run by the Shell station and convenience store next door. They offer showers in the back of the store for $5, which includes towels. If you are camped, they're free. It sort of caters to truckers, but there are a heck of a lot of folks that are dispersed camping in the surrounding areas.

2. Phranc

Phranc New Member

It's been a while, but most truck stops include the Towel with the shower. The major truck stops have rewards cards that let you earn showers with fuel purchases.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If showers aren't included in the fees, I hope the rates are dirt cheap. We've been tenting for over 15 years and I can't think of a single campground where we didn't have (free) showers available. And the max price was $20-25 a night.

Not sure how they could make things much cheaper than that, and charge anything more than a buck per shower. Even at $2 a shower that would be $8 for my family... are they charging $12 for the site? lol

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've been in campgrounds where the showers are free (as part of the campground fee), ones where they are pay showers, and a whole lot of campgrounds that don't have showers at all, many without flush toilets.
    In general, private campgrounds seem to include the shower with the camping fee. Public - mostly state and national parks and National Forest CGs for us - campgrounds seem to go either way, if they have showers at all.

At some places, there are towels available to rent. Grand Canyon south rim s one of those. The showers are in the same building as the laundry. We have seen people on long lightweight trips (such as college-age students traveling the country), as they do laundry and shower - wearing either just a towell or a coat.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

In Manitoba, where the provincial Park service is built new showers, they're charging a dollar for four minutes.

Older provincial campgrounds still don't charge unless the showers have been upgraded.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The showers are never free. Their cost is covered in the camping fee. I'd prefer that they lower the fee and make a separate charge for people who want to use the showers. Finding showers in or near various camping places is easy. Just google "shower in --name of town or location--" Many public pools, community centers gyms, etc. allow people to shower for a fee. Generally it's at least $2, sometimes a bit more. At Cave Springs CG in Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona they have a token system. Bryce Canyon used to have one too. If you could shower in 4-5 minutes the cost usually worked out to about $2.

7. tfischer

With a family of 4 or 5 I seriously doubt $8-10 our more of our nightly fees go toward showers.

8. Unstable_Tripod

tfischer, you took two different parts of my comment and combined them. First I said that showers at campgrounds aren't really free because they are covered in the fee, which I consider far too high. When I said that shower fees were generally about $2 I was talking about "Many public pools, community centers gyms, etc. ..." Then I mentioned a third system (tokens) that some campgrounds have. Token systems are generally used when the camping fee is lower than at CGs that offer showers for "free." Let's keep the apples, oranges and bananas separate.

Now, if you want to get into the real cost of offering showers you have to look at the physical plant and maintenance (materials and labor), the cost of water, the cost of the water heater and its fuel, plus the labor cost to clean the showers/building. Probably a lot more than you might think.

9. tfischer

Sorry, I thought by saying 'snip' that I made it clear that I had edited your comment.

Most of the places we camp that have showers cost between $20-$25 a night. I've seen some for as low as $12. My point is... how low would the nightly fee have to be to offset a shower charge, knowing that the average family is going to have 4-5 people in it?

As far as public campgrounds go (which is typically the only place we stay), amenities seem to have little relation to the nightly fee, with the exception of hookups which depends on the individual site. I've been in campgrounds with vault toilets that cost the same as ones with a very nice flush toilet and shower building (or two).

10. Unstable_Tripod

Yes, it was quite clear that you edited the comment. My point was that the juxtaposition of two parts of my comment that had nothing to do with one another combined with your follow-up remark made it look like they did. Nowhere in my statement did I name or speculate on the amount showers cost in campgrounds that include them in their entry fee. You used the $2 figure in such a way as to say that that was the cost in such campgrounds.

I disagree with your comment about amenities having little relation to the nightly fee in public campgrounds as well. While there is not a perfect correlation I find from my experience throughout the West that overall, places without hookups, showers, flush toilets, playgrounds, wood/ice sales, etc., cost less than those with such things. I generally avoid state parks because of this. I find they are in the general $20-40 per night range. Primitive national forest and BLM campgrounds are generally in the $10-15 range. To top it off, I can use these places for 50% off because of my Senior Access pass. Since I have a shower in my trailer I can do that anywhere.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We move around a lot when camping. We only stay at one place 2-3 nights. So we try to have at least every other CG with a shower. That seems to be our limit without a shower. We do have a shower in the camper but have never used it. A wash cloth seem to do for our 2-3 nights without a shower.

12. tfischer

Fair 'nuff. My only point was that if campgrounds DID start charging for their showers, they'd probably use the 'market rate' to charge people, which as you said was at least $2. And with a family, it's hard to imagine the fees would go down to the level to justify that.

13. Phranc

Phranc New Member

IMHO, campgrounds use charging for use of showers as a deterrent. If you have to pay, you tend to take a little better care of the facilities. Truck Stops, etc. use the fee to cover the costs of cleaning and laundry as they clean the showers after every use. Takes personnel to do that.

The showers at the campground at Monument Valley use tokens purchased at the check in. I was last there before the the campground was renovated, but the showers there were serviceable, but old and needed a good renovation.

14. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Is there really a controversy over paying for showers? [?:~{]

We have camped exclusively in CA, 99% of the time in state parks. Most of the parks have showers, and if they do you usually have to pay. We've paid between 25 cents and 75 cents for a two minute shower. I don't mind paying because I don't need to shower every day (baby wipes are AWESOME between showers). We camp a lot at the beach and some of the beach campgrounds have free cold showers to rinse off the sand and salt water.

Once or twice we have camped in a park that had no running water = no showers or flush toilets. In that case we just used baby wipes and when we really needed a shower we would use our solar shower and a big tupperware container to catch the water. Then that water went into the vault toilets. We're pretty good at using minimal amounts of water when 'showering'...all four of us can clean up with 5 gallons. And I have LONG hair- that's what usually takes the most water because I have to rinse it a lot.

I don't think it's a big deal to take a few gallons of water over to the bath house and get rid of it in the toilet or wherever it's supposed to go. I really don't want to pull into a campsite that's muddy and smells like soap or dish water because someone else thought it was too much trouble to catch their grey water.

15. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We have stayed at a number of campgrounds over the years. The majority have had free showers, with a few that had pay showers. This is not a deal breaker for us. As far showering, DH has used and does have an outside shower because we do have pool at home. When he was a kid, his family lived on a lake, and ran a summer camp. He fondly tells about cleaning up by taking a bar of Ivory soap (cuz it floats) and bathing in the lake.

On our most fun-filled and memorable weekend camping trip, we went to Lake Mille Lacs - known world wide for it's walleye fishing. It had been a bucket-list item to go out on a launch (like charter fishing) to catch walleye. We stayed at a campground that offered a launch, that was a seasonal campground. The owner let us set up our PUP on an empty site that was lakeside. The one downside was that there was a public bathroom, but the showers were not functional. Now I can be a girly-girl but I do also have another side of me, the tomboy who loves the outdoors. I can go the weekend with out a shower, if the weather isn't too hot and humid. What we ended up doing however, is going a couple of miles down the road to an awesome beach that was actually a sand bar and you could walk forever with the water only reaching your waist. So DH suggested that we bring along soap & shampoo and we washed up in the lake.

Like others have said, you can go a weekend without showering. This is after all camping, you are roughing it.

16. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

I will be camping soon at a location that has no showers. I recently bought an Echo pump sprayer and removed the wand and, with a little modification, added a kitchen sink hand sprayer. I'll fill the pump sprayer with water and, hopefully, the sun will warm it up a bit and, using my newly purchased Ozark Trail 2 room setup, I'll have a nice, comfortable shower.

17. tfischer

I'd like to see pics of that.

As I tend to like my showers on the hot side, I'm not sure I'd call it "nice comfortable" but I'm sure it's better than nothing and on a particularly hot day might even be refreshing ;)

18. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

I hear what you're saying but, considering the lack of options, if the water gets even lukewarm, I'll consider it "nice and comfortable." :)

Won't be camping again until the weekend of Aug. 8 but will make the effort to snap some pics of the setup.

19. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Unless your at a PA State Park who has the screwiest rate structure around. You start off with a base rate of $15.00 per night. If the campground has running heated water and showers they consider it "modern". For that you add $4.00 per night. So in PA if I camp by myself a shower costs me $4.00 but if I have 7 other people with me it only costs $0.50 per person. Typically if I'm by myself, I just take 8 showers a night so I get them for $0.50

20. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

And after 8 showers a night, does anybody mistake you for one of the California Raisins? [LOL]