Taking off to the Great White North this summer

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by NorcrossFlyer, Apr 10, 2018.

1. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

Four nights on ile d'Orleans in Quebec City.

I've crossed the border by car and on foot several times and was wondering if there was anything I should do/not do/consider when crossing with a camper? I'm hauling a TT so letting the border federales on either side have a peak inside isn't a big deal.

Thoughts?

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

No fireworks, firearms, or firewater. Make sure everyone in the car has a good passport that isn't about to expire. Wouldn't hurt to print out a copy of your reservation at the CG. Don't be in a hurry to cross the border, the lines can get ugly.

myride likes this.
  3. NorcrossFlyer

Good call on the copy of the reservation. I've never run in to an issue but I can see how it could be an issue. Perhaps just as important is my follow on reservation outside of Canada.

Isn't there some amount of booze I can bring in? I'm not above stocking up and duty free, of course.

I'm used to the lines in Niagara Falls so I know whatever you're saying. A couple summers ago I wanted to kill an afternoon with my kid playing on Clifton Hill and the best option was to park at the NY State Park and walk over. Even then there was a line to get in to Canada. I'm hoping the crossing in rural NY and Maine (Heading out of Canada) will be less busy.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Check out the canada border services website. Is continually updated as to what visitors can bring across.

5. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

I live in MN and we used to cross the border back and forth in cars or on foot just to drink beer in Thunder Bay and buy American corn flakes with French labels and blackberry jam with not much more than a quick look and maybe a backpack check. The attacks of 9/11 changed all that. Check both the US and Canada border crossing websites. I failed to do that once and my little plastic keychain canister of pepper spray had to be 'surrendered to the Queen' before they would let me in...

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I've been crossing the Canada border at Grand Portage (same place as Byrd_Huntr) every year, sometimes multiple times a year, for the past six years (fishing trips & hauling a boat). Be prepared for anything from being asked a few questions to having your vehicle searched (I was lucky enough to be picked for a random search three years ago).

As you approach the gate, no pictures. Take off your sunglasses and have all of your passports ready. The border officials take their jobs VERY seriously. Act as if you are going through airport security. Most of the time, it is quick. Other times you will get some extra questions. It is no big deal.

Most importantly, here is the booze list (per person):

Wine - Up to 53 fluid ounces or two 750 ml bottles.
    -or- Liquor - Up to 40 Fluid ounces or one large standard bottle. (2.5 Pint or 1182 ml)
    -or- Beer - 24 Pack (cans or bottles - NO TALLBOYS).

You can bring more than this, but you MUST declare it and you may have to pay a duty, or you may not. It depends on the day.

And make sure you top off your vehicle gas tank before you cross the border. Gas prices are extremely high in Canada (usually around $1.00 per liter).

Snow likes this.
  7. Limmer

Limmer Member

Based on my expertise watching the show Border Security ;), there are several things that are legal in the US that are not in Canada. Batons, pepper spray, certain kinds of knives. And if you own firearms and leave some ammunition in the trailer they will go looking for the gun. Very thoroughly.

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention this. Two years after my vehicle was inspected at the border by US customs when returning from Canada, I was searching inside my Jeep Grand Cherokee for some lost keys when I found, tucked way under the divers seat behind the seat rails, a box of high velocity law enforcement assault rifle shells (Tactical). The search two years earlier did not find them.

I purchased my Jeep from a State Auction. It was formerly a Minnesota BCA homicide detective's vehicle. The shells had been hiding in my Jeep for four years and had made numerous international border crossings. I was VERY lucky that they never became an issue.

I still think about how the conversation would have gone with the border crossing officials after I told them, "I swear! They're not mine!!"

Orchid and jnc like this.
  9. NorcrossFlyer

Hopefully not the variety you would find in a residential kitchen?

10. Limmer

Limmer Member

Only certain kinds but I cannot remember which kinds. Switch blades maybe? I just remember some getting confiscated.

11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, leave those guns at home, you cannot bring them over here, don't even try, period. Make sure to fill the gas tank before you come over. The price today is $1.30 -$1.35 per liter. There are 3 3/4 liters in a US gallon, so that equals about $4.90 per US gallon. The price is forecasted to jump for the summer driving season, however, the exchange on the dollar is in your favour. Right now we pay almost $1.40 CAD for 1 USD. That hurts when we go over to the States, but it's good for you coming this way. Not sure what Quebec tax is, but in Ont, we have a combined tax of 13% across the board on everything. You'd have to look their's up. (I just looked it up for you. They have 15% total sales tax on everything).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    NorcrossFlyer and eoleson1 like this.
  12. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

Don't try to bring tomatoes back into the US! LOL

I went shopping in Missoula, on our way to Glacier to camp, and put the tomatoes in the cooler. After a couple days at Glacier, decided to drive across the border to Waterton to hike for the day. On the back into the US, US border patrol looked in the cooler, and took my tomatoes, holding them up like he had found dangerous contraband!! I bought those in Missoula, I have the receipt. Sorry Ma'am, you can't prove those are the same tomatoes from the receipt. He took my tomatoes and threw them away. [:!][:D]

On the way into Canada, I had to give the Canadian border patrol my work pepper spray to hold onto until I came back through, when I was able to retrieve it. We have to carry it on our duty belts when we go on home visits, and I had left it in my car. Fortunately, I didn't take anything else from my duty belt on my camping trip...

If I had only known how dangerous my tomatoes might have been, maybe I could have left those with the Canadian border patrol when I crossed into Canada.

Orchid likes this.
  13. nmj48

nmj48 New Member

Keep in mind you are crossing an international border. though our countries are very similar we do have different rules and regulations here in Canada.
    If you are bringing medication, you should have the prescriptions for it with you,
    bringing pets, I believe they require some paper work in regards to updated shots and Rabies Vaccination Certificate,
    contrary to what some may believe you are allowed to bring firearms into Canada for hunting and shooting sports, must be declared and have proper paper work,
    bringing more then $10 000 CDN you must declare it or it can be seized

Most importantly you should check the CBSA website or call them and ask questions
    https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

14. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Yes switch blades or butterfly type knived are illegal here. If the knife has a button and a spring then its illegal. If it has a spring assist and a lever on thr blade to pull it open its not illegal. The button seems to be the issue. Nunchucks also illegal. Batons stun guns pepper spray but not bear spray illegal.

15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

How are you supposed to get your guns to Alaska if you can't cross Canada with them? Sorry, but I would not enter Alaska without firearms. We do plan an Alaska trip one day, although not with our pop up, and I feel very uncomfortable being unarmed there.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  16. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Thats a question for border patrol. Sorry Im not big into guns.