Taking out cabinets and seating?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by RoseTheJinx, Jul 26, 2016.

1. RoseTheJinx

RoseTheJinx New Member

How hard is it to take out the cabinets and what not in a Coleman Destiny Rio Grande? I have been looking over makeovers and was thinking it might just be easier to pull out the inside, put in new floors, and then add the seating back in. I am not very handy. I will be asking my dad and Father in Law for help as they can. My Father in Law can build new cabinet frames. I am sure my dad can too. I know flooring should not be too hard to put in. I did my floor in the laundry room. My husband can't help. He has Cerebral Palsy and is one handed. Love him to death, he is awesome at his job (SSA), great in accounting, but my 4 year old is handier than he is... And I am about as handy as my 8 year old. lol

I have no need for a sink or a stove inside. I like to tent camp and because there are so many of us, I have a outdoor kitchen set up to make my life easier. This includes an easy up canopy to cover it and a camp sink with a grey water hose. I was thinking of maybe making more seating inside instead of some of the cabinets. That way it it is rainy out, there is seating other than bunks, although rain doesn't mean we will be in the popup. When it rains and we are tent camping, we just do things under our canopies (I have 2). My popup also has an attached canopy. I can't say I am interested in the heater or fridge either. I don't mind not having lights inside either. I have quite a few lanterns and we are use to using those for light. I have camped long enough to know what I want and what makes no difference to me.

My mother does an incredible job sewing and will help with the cushions and what not fabric related.

I had hopes I could pull the insides out myself (taking a million pictures just in case) before calling up my dad or my FIL. Any tips or trick to taking out the insides?

Thanks!

2. BigGrizz

BigGrizz Member

The cabinets are easy, albeit a pain in the rear, to get out. They just screw into the sidewalls in a few places and into the floor. Getting to the screws can be a bit of a hassle.

Also, I took the furnace out of my PUP. It was a big mistake. If I'm dry camping, I can't have heat to take a bit of the edge of when it is cold. It was 31 degrees in Grand Lake, CO a couple of weeks ago.

BigGrizz
    '88 Coleman Chesapeake
    TV - 2006 Toyota Tundra

What you do today can improve all your tomorrows!

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm afraid I can't help you with dismantling the cabinets. I just wanted to add my [2C] regarding seating. My popup has more seating but I hardly have any cabinets space to store things and really really wish I did. So if you do go the route to change to more seating, could you instead add cushions for your cabinets so you have seating and cabinets? Unless your floor is bad couldn't you just lay your flooring down with your cabinets in? Might cut a lot of work down unless you really just want to start afresh.

4. hawkdriver1974

hawkdriver1974 Learning to love/hate my pop-up.

My furnace sounds like a beast, but heats great. I hated how loud the blower was and ended up buying a Dr. Heater (http://tinyurl.com/jq5kmk3) and love it. But....need 120 to run it. Good luck with your remodel. My Mrs. always wishes she had more cabinets. That might be a good idea.