Taking out center counsel/popup countertop?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by KaptainKrrrk, May 24, 2017.

1. KaptainKrrrk

KaptainKrrrk New Member

Hi everybody!
    We have an old 1980 Rockwood PuP which is a yearly camper for us, but is always a work in progress!
    We camp in the Pacific Northwest during the summer mostly, so weather isn't usually an issue. My question is, we aren't big fans of cooking inside the PuP, and like to spend the majority of the time outside, including meals and cooking.
    Has anyone COMPLETELY REMOVED the center sink/stove/counter unit from their PuP, and if so HOW and what did you do with the space?
    Pics or link to pics would be greatly appreciated, looking for ideas and best ways to execute.
    Happy Trails everyone!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Most popup campers the counters provide sidewall support. So if you were to consider completely removing the counter you may need to consider a way of bracing the wall. I know of some people who removed the upper portion of the gally that consisted the sink and stove, just tied off the lines in the lower part of the gally cabinet. That way if they were to resell the camper, the lines are already there and just need to be hooked back up.

KaptainKrrrk likes this.
  3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Like jmkay1 said, the cabinets hold the box of the trailer together.

KaptainKrrrk likes this.
  4. KaptainKrrrk

KaptainKrrrk New Member

Thanks for the advice, I noticed the unit was coming away from the wall a bit, which is probably not good for stability. Hmmm, maybe I will piece out the wood, measure by measure, and rebuild it... Thhanks!