Taking Senior Parents Camping

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by cztardust, Mar 25, 2015.

1. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I just read another post where another member brought their senior parent along with them to the campgrounds. I will say that it does take a little more consideration due to physical ailments, but so very worth it. I had watched my mother after my dad's passing, basically lock herself in the family home and can tell you it may be a comfort when grieving, but is not healthy for prolonged periods. I have watched my mom light up like a Christmas tree when being included on camping trips to our state parks and what she adds is wonderful. You can see that it's really good and healthy for her.
    It has taken some trial and error trying to find a good steady step for the door and I had to build a platform in front of her bunk.... Still totally worth it to include everyone at the park. Would love to hear similar stories and if anyone has any ideas as to how to add a rail down the step of the entry door to the ground.

2. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I grew up camping in pickup campers or TT's. Stopped for much of my adult life then got the itch again. I asked Mom if she would like to camp again and she jumped at the chance! She was 84 at that time...we went out and bought a tent and all of the gear we would need and camped that summer and most of the next in the tent before buying a pup in August. She absolutely loves it! This January I had my ntu pup delivered, it sits in the back driveway which can be seen through the kitchen window. She always says "you better move that f#$&ing trailer. I just want to go jump in it and go camping!" [LOL]
    We've had such a horrid winter, it will be great to camp again. Mom is 86 now. I am lucky in the fact she is 100% physically capable (no modifications needed)...the only issue we've had is her getting a tad lost on the way back from the bath houses or if she takes the dogs for a walk. Luckily I've found her every time [LOL]. Hence the reason for the ntu pup with cassette potty and shower. [:D]
    I'm glad other folks are getting out there with their parents...these are memories we'll have forever!!
    [CP]

3. bropaul

bropaul New Member

cztardust, we are seniors and can't believe how much more active we have become with our Portal family! [:D] Instead of camping twice a year, we are attending 4 rallies (hosting 1!), camping more often on our own along with the 2 annual trips we have made for years. The Portal is keeping us moving!

As far as a railing for your step, we have a folding two step stepstool that we pack in our camper and have used it when setting up our awning and add a room. Several years ago after recovering from a broken knee, I set the stool with the back toward the step and it became my 'railing'. We now keep it in that location for whenever we're feeling a little stiff or a hip or knee decides to give us a twinge.

Here is a similar one that happens to be on sale ... http://local.sears.com/Cosco-Home-and-Office-Products-Two-Step-Steel-Step-Stool/p-00934706000P?st=1092&sid=IDx20141117x00001xlpla#!/

Stop by and check it out at Turkey Run, we're looking forward to meeting you!

Diane

4. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Ran this question by DW, who heads the local Area Agency on Aging. Her first thoughts were: locate as near the restrooms as possible, keep floor of PUP clear of things to trip over, add a big Stromberg Carlson folding grab handle by the door (see etrailer), make up a bottom door step that is a landing, e.g. twice as large as the folding steps. Give the senior a slip of paper with their first name and the campsite number to carry in a pocket. Make sure the oldster is involved in meal prep activities- these are people who grew up peeling their own potatoes!

5. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

"Stromberg Carlson folding grab handle"
    Yes, perfect. Thanks for the Tip :)

6. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

I have asked my mom to go but her idea of roughing it is a hotel without satin sheets. She has no idea what I see in camping or where I get it from. I quess it is her loss. [:D]

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I hear ya.

My mother-in-law -- an avowed city slicker -- lives with us. When we bought the PUP I teased her some about where her bed would be, etc. She was absolutely terrified. Started calling her friends and telling them we were going to "make" her go camping with us.

I don't think it will ever happen, but it's sad because I think she would really enjoy getting away and being in the fresh air.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I am one that will be bringing my senior parents or rather (mom) camping. Dad would much rather stay home glued to his computer. I'm on the market for a new trailer that will have a few more amenities for her convenience and safety. The hard part is finding something she would like and has some of the necessities she needs, but still within my budget. I have taken her out once last year but she became overheated (no AC on my trailer) that I was afraid to take her again until I get something new. Currently she is able to get along well enough with a little help. That may change later, so fairly open floorplan on my next pup. She needs the time out away from home. She blossoms when she gets out and socializes although it does take a bit of urging on my part to get her out of the house.

9. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

This made me laugh. Most of my family thinks I'm nuts to love camping. Even BF isn't thrilled, "For the cost of the camper, think of how many nights in a hotel..." blah, blah, blah... BF still goes with me quite willingly because he loves the outdoors & has a sense of adventure. My mother? No, no, no! Dad wouldn't mind camping except he'd rather not share a bathroom with anyone so roughing it means having to share a bathroom with my mother. [LOL] To be fair, Dad is a good sport about most of this stuff & Mom has so many orthopedic, mobility & balance issues that's she's a poor candidate to be moving round a campsite much. It's too bad as they are the ones who instilled such a love of the great outdoors in their children & I'd really like to share camping with them.

With all that in mine, BF & I are going camping in early June & have found the perfect way to include my parents. There's a trail from the campground to the cabins. My parents will just stay in a cottage. As soon as I mentioned the idea, Mom jumped on it. She's really looking forward to it. Georgia has a number of nice state parks with both campgrounds and cottages/cabins, at reasonable prices. If all goes as well as I suspect, I think it will be something we'll repeat in the future. No, it's not really camping in the sense I normally think of it but it's still a family event that involves some camping & that works for me.

10. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

My octogenarian parents just bring along their tablet & smartphones that can serve as hotspots. [:D]

11. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

My mom lives in Arizona now, I live in NC. Her family has a large reunion every August in NY. I drive up to NY for camping in August. I fly my mother in , pick her up at the airport and she camps with me while we meet relatives for the family reunion, eat local foods and just have a really good time. My mom is an avid reader, as long as she has a good reading light, a sleeping bag and an electric blanket she is the happiest person in the world. She gets back on a plane to go home and I drive back to NC. My mother is 84 and we have been doing this setup for 15 years in every kind of weather.
    PATMD

12. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Good for you! Glad to see you both get out together!

13. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

This is a great idea, kudzu!!

14. PepperWolf

PepperWolf Member

The main reason we bought a Pup was because of my mother. She's almost 76 and has been through cancer twice now, lost her husband and has some problems moving around but she still tries to stay active. The cheaper way to go would have been to just buy a tent and toss it in the back of the car to go camping but I wanted her to be comfortable while enjoying the outdoors. We found a used camper with all the features we wanted and so far so good. We attended a rally this spring and had a lot of fun. Right now it's too hot for her to go camping but we're going again this fall. We keep an eye out on the forum for more ideas so she can keep on going.