Taking service dog?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by SuperHalls, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Jean

Jean New Member

Thank you! I feel so much better now. I really wondered what a talking service dog was.

Around here, people are taking their yappy mutts on the city buses and saying "He's a service dog" and getting away with it, so I don't think you would have any trouble taking a service dog camping. Most every sign that says "No Pets" includes "Except service dogs".

Jean

2. Stiiinatent

Stiiinatent seasond camper now with 2 cubs

By law a service dog can go anywhere you need to go. My family has raised a couple of guide dogs (puppy stages, house breaking etc.) Service dogs are registered and should have a collar with a brass plate on it stating its a service dog. We were able to bring our service puppy everywhere even though it was still in pre-service training. Oh we had people that would come to us and tell us "dogs aren't aloud" we just showed them the collar and that usually settled it.

3. SuperHalls

SuperHalls Camping Adventures of the SuperHalls!

Sorry I've been away so long. Things have been hectic, and I'm just exhausted.

As for pup, we are starting training... He's doing basic obedience and good citizenship classes, then we'll start clicker training with a specialized trainer to get him to target *my* needs.

My concern is facing charming individuals who might ask silly questions like "what is the dog doing for you?" Well, yes, I am hearing (for the moment), and do look 'normal', and we do not sign (much). I need assistance hearing things that I may not, cars, my children calling me, etc.

We shall see... we're a long way from being OK just yet.

4. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

The key is the animal needs to be registered with the appropriate agency. I work at a major amusement park in moving people from the parking areas to the main gate and back. We also have a kennel so for the most part letting animals on the trams is not an issue. As long as they aren't going to bite somebody, they aren't our problem. It can be an issue for the parking lot that uses buses to move people. Only registered service animals are allowed on those buses. We have a drive-up drop-off point near the main gate and the kennel, that we can direct people to, assuming they let us tell them. Main Gate gets to separate the phony service animals trying to get in. Kennel gets the privilege of telling people they need to have current vaccination certificates on both cats and dogs.

Our major problems are caused by people abusing the system and trying to use the disabled ramps and service to get head of the line privileges. Our trams have been beatified by the Vatican since they have all been the bestower of miracle cures on a daily basis. People that can hardly make it to the wheelchair ramp let alone up it are miraculously able to jump off the tram and run toward the main gate before we have even stopped moving and dropped the ramps for them to get off.

5. pete1606

pete1606 New Member

[quote...Then the receptionist proceeded to ask the man what service the dog was performing for him...He wasn't blind,he could hear fine,and didn't seem to have any other ailments other than a limp that the dog couldn't help...The man proceeded to tell him that it was only a service dog if it was performing a service,and made them leave....
    If you have one,just remember that the person needing the service has to be useing the dog for it to be allowed in places where pets are restricted...
    [/quote]

Well remember all disabilities are not visible.

6. pete1606

pete1606 New Member

If you do run into a problem contact the ADA and make a complaint. 1800-949 4ada

Also make a complaint with the state or city Office of Civil Rights were the incident occurred.

7. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Man....more than one serious violation here. It doesn't matter one stinkin' bit that the receptionist or whoeverelse could not identify what the individual needed a service dog for nor do they have any right to ask. Ask for papers.....yes, but other than that, they are in serious violation. Service dog with papers, and that is that. You also can't go around asking people what their disabilities are or any other health conditions and deny service just because they won't answer your ignorant and innapropriate question.

I'd say that if anyone asks you why you need a service dog and what your disability is.....be prepared to tell them to f&*/ off and report them.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Me too!!! I actually clicked over here to bump another thread, any thread, just so this would quit messing with my head. [LOL] I am completely relieved to see there are a few others reading it the same way.

9. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

I think we would find an awful lot of people thought that when they first saw that. I did, too.

10. ForestFam

ForestFam New Member

Having been a CNA, a DSP & my sibling is visually impaired, this topic is in my ♥ .... to follow.

HIPAA laws were broken in this situation (not including rude & disrespectful) & if the service dog actually belonged to the senior citizen male for his impairment. If not, he's breaking the law w/ fraud.

I remember recently a little boy's school rejected his service dog & they sued & WON! ; )

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Our niece who had a genetic birth defect (Trisomy 18) and had a nurse in the house during the day. She had a small dog who always sensed when Gabby was about to have a seizure. The nurse would then go over to her and make sure she was safe before the seizure occurred. Mind you the dog was not trained as a service dog, but it knew when she was going to have a seizure, he would put his paw on her and bark a few times!

12. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

Well, strange this thread is back up.....the puppy I have now (well, she is 2 now). Has one more class before she is certified as a "companion dog". Not sure whether we will do it or not, we don't have the need for her to be certified or not, she is ok as she is, after all the other classes she has passed. I do take her into stores like Harbor Freight, and Home Depot, Lowes...etc... She sits in the carriage and always enjoys the attention. I have noticed that she is very diligent when it comes to babies and small children. We have an addition of a grandchild at our home, and she watches over that child like a hawk....

13. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

A few months ago I read an excellent book:

"Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him" by Luis Carlos Montalvan.

This is the true story of a captain in the U.S. Army who came back from Iraq suffering from injuries as well as PTS disorder, and Tuesday, the Service Dog he was paired with.

Before I read this book, I had little knowledge of what specific things a Service Dog did on the job (so to speak).

It did take awhile for Montalvan and Tuesday to bond, and a lot of hurdles had to be overcome in the interim.

And it was astounding to me to read what ignorance and prejudice Montalvan encountered with Tuesday while trying to get on with his life and do the things most of us take for granted like eating in a restaurant or getting on a bus.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book; it's one of the best I've read in some time.

14. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

I am just about done with 'Until Tuesday'! Fantastic book! I second the recommendation [2C]