Taking the Pop Up Plunge

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rmarsh, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Rmarsh

Rmarsh New Member

My 2 sons (11 & 13) and I have been tent camping for a few years and are about to graduate to a pu. Put a deposit today on a 2015 Rockwood Freedom LTD 1640 LTD and have a whole new world of learning to do about towing, weight distribution, etc. .... not to mention backing into a spot, lol!

Looking forward to sharing our "adventures" with fellow PUPers!

2. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

congrats, Backing isn't that hard if you do 2 things

1: Hand on the bottom of the steering wheel turn the bottom of the wheel where you want the trailer to go!

2: when ya get the camper ,, go out to a local empty parking lot and practice, practice, and even more practice!!

I teach people to drive 18 Wheeler's and this is the easiest hints to help you

Start off on just straight line backing follow a line on the ground keeping the trailer tires the same distance to the line. Once you get better with that then try backing like you are backing into a drive way to turn around ,, this will also help with backing into spots. Remember to always back in on your driver side unless you have no other choice.

3. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Welcome from Langley BC and congrats! let the new adventures begin.

4. Ny_Paul

Ny_Paul New Member

welcome aboard! Such a great way to spent time with kids

5. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Welcome from New Jersey! I hope you love your pop up as much as we love ours! And you've come to the right place -- these folks know their stuff and are so ready to lend a helping hand. I learned, and continue to learn, so much from this forum. Take advantage of the huge wealth of knowledge here, take your time, make checklists and have FUN!

6. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Welcome from San Antonio! There are boards here about upkeep and maintenance of your pup that are invaluable. Read, read, and read some more. Seems a little tedious but it will pay off.

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Welcome from Anchorage, Alaska. You're going to have a great time with your new PUP!

8. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Welcome from MA! Plenty of help here on the portal, and have to agree with previous posts, find an empty parking lot and practice backing up. You'll get the hang of pretty quickly, most of the best camp sites we've had have been back-ins.

9. Rmarsh

Rmarsh New Member

Thanks everyone!

I've been reading all over this forum and already find it so helpful. I keep stumbling over things that I've never heard of before and then realize that it's really important to know. Ya' know . . . . little things like brake controls and "what do you mean electricity comes in different currents?"! Ok I knew it came in different currents it just didn't occur to me that I now will have to think about that!

Never the less, my boys and I so excited and ready to kick it up a notch. I hope we figure out the big stuff the easy way and any hiccups will just make for a better story.

Great advice on the backing up and practicing in a parking lot. I will definitely be doing that.

Happy camping all!

10. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

Welcome to the forum from Michigan!

Hubby does the "backing in" and I just stand outside the TV and point to where I want it. No problem! [LOL]

11. JT105

JT105 Member

Welcome!
    Pop it up in your driveway and get familiar with how to set it up and break it down. A short check list for things to do in order would be helpful for setup and takedown.
    For example, the first time we used ours, I forgot to raise the rear stabilizer and left two trenches in the campsite as I began to pull out. Another time the cord was left plugged into the campground pole.
    Or filling the water tank is sure taking a long time... Then realizing that large puddle at your feet is because the drain valve is open.
    We all laugh about it now. You get to build all new memories like this with your family!