Taking your CPAP and power with you...

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by dbhost, Oct 18, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Okay so I snagged a Z2 Standard travel CPAP, and it looks pretty good, but one HUGE problem. This is the first CPAP I have had that doesn't come with any sort of case / carry bag, and there are accessories with it that complicate its stowage so with everything included it really isn't that much smaller than my AirSense 10...

The Z2 comes in a bunch of pieces which is workable, but a bit of a kludge if you ask me... The components are...

#1. The CPAP itself. Which is plenty small.
    #2. The transformer block and 110V power cord. This sucks up space like they all do.
    #3. A hose adapter piece to actually allow you to connect the mask hose to the unit.
    #4. One extra filter, and one pre installed filter.
    #5. One Heat / Moisture Exchanger. This is a means of retaining humidity without electricity instead of using a humidifier. Pretty good idea actually.
    #6. One 8" tube extender with Q-Tube noise cancelling tubing muffler, which BTW really does seem to work WELL, the whole thing is whisper quiet...
    #7. One 4' slimline tube.

To this I have added the 12v DC power cord, which takes up negligible space.

HMI sells a carry bag, literally just a padded drawstring bag for the unit and its accessories, I assume including the mask, for about $18.00 + shipping...

I contacted CPAP.com about a bag, they have a universal small CPAP carry bag that is about the same price, and offers more storage options, but still just a catch all...

So long story short, I am hoping to find a carry bag / case that will allow me to organize the various pieces without having a jumble. I was thinking about perhaps a main compartment for the actual unit, a compartment for the tubing which WILL be replaced with a 6' tube, and the Qtube, a compartment for the power accessories, and a compartment for the remaining small items, filter, Heat / Moisture exchanger, hose adapter, and some spares.

I KNOW I can drop a divider into the Respironics case, and those are on Ebay for next to nothing, but was hoping for something I wouldn't confuse for the respironics CPAP.

If I haven't mentioned it yet, I am working on fixing the old Respironics, just as a spare for when the AirSense 10 dies, I can have a backup other than my travel CPAP. Honestly more or less I don't want to just give up on the Respironics, I am pretty sure it is just cat hair that got past the filter and is jamming the impeller...

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Looked at them, and did not opt that way. The only one that was appropriate was within a dollar or two of the Resmed AirMini travel case. (CPAP.com had them on the relatively cheap, and it was FSA eligible...).

So here are the results of the CPAP, storage etc...

I typically take a long time getting to sleep, especially considering my back pain, getting to a comfortable position, so effectively 18hrs of run time. The jump pack started out at 13.9v, and ended up at 12.3v. So I am certainly acceptible. 2 nights of runtime before I have to charge it with the generator. Simply put, I need to minimize the use of the screaming banshee of a generator that is the Harbor Freight tailgator.

I must admit I am a bit shocked by how bulky the Z2 with the Qtube is stowage wise. While it is smaller than the AirSense 10, the unit itself isn't the issue. When you combine the space used by the Z2, The Qtube that the AirSense doesn't have, the heat / moisture separator that takes the place of the humidifier, and works okay, I wake up a little drier than I would with a regular CPAP, but nowhere near as bad as I would a regular CPAP without a humidifier turned on... Anyway this is about 2/3 the size. The transformers, hose, mask etc.. are all the same exact size. The big advantages are lower power draw, and no need for a humidifier...

The bag would not be so tightly packed, but I have a surplus 6' hose instead of the included 4' hose. You'd be suprised by how much room that 2' of hose consumes...