Tamworth in NH. NEVER AGAIN!!

Discussion in 'New Hampshire' started by IVBENS, Jul 23, 2012.

1. IVBENS

IVBENS New Member

This is a bit, long, but I gottta get this off my chest...DW and I got the perfect site there along the river. Had our loop to ourselves Thurs night. Our site was large and great river access for our dog. When we set up, I noticed that the next door site's fire ring was on the opposite side of the site away from us and positioned our pup accordingly. Friday early evening, the site next to us became occupied and as they set up, they moved the fire ring from one side of their site to the other. Less than 10 feet from our bunk! Oh and they also had one of those tall lantern things that attaches to a propane tank. BRIGHT!!! There were 5 adults, 2 kids @10 yo and 2 dogs. They proceeded to be loud and obnoxious until I finally said something at 11:45. . My exact words were" Excuse me, I know midnight is the official time to put the fire out, but do you think you could lower the volume until then?" "Sorry" was the reply. The cg's pamplet said quiet time starts at 10, very quiet time at 11 and fires out at 12.
    In the morning, I went to the front desk and asked for some help. I explained the situation. The guy at the desk seemed upset that the fire ring was moved. Turns out its a state law that the ring cannot be moved. He said he'd go there during the day to look at it and say something to them about the fire and the noise. DW and I spent the day at our site enjoying the river...no visit from the front office to next door. Late afternoon I went down to get ice and mentioned it again to the guy and he said the owner would go by to check on things. Never happened. Of course by this time, they had a fire going in the ring again. The rest of the night went as expected... they were up till midnight with the bright light, the young kids playing hide and seek with loud counting, shreeking, barking dogs... when I said something again, they were as rude as what'd I expect from a group of jerks who had no respect for those around them. At check-out, the owner asked about our stay...and the original desk guy was standing next to him. I said, "The site was perfect, our experience was not. I came here yesterday for help, I was told by him (pointing to the guy) that I'd get some, and no one came to help. Between the neighbors and the other loud parties around the cg, we didn't get any peace." "Oh, that's too bad" was the owner's reply. Really?? There were a few LOUD groups made up of regulars and seasonals...the owner made rounds on his golf cart, didn't seem to make a difference. With all the other choices out there, this CG is off my list forever.

2. smellott

smellott Livin' in NH but a WV Mountaineer for life

Sorry to hear your experience at Tamworth wasn't very good. We've been in that very situation several times in the past. Another campground not far from Tamworth that we experienced almost the same problem was Witt's End . . . . it's too bad because we liked our site right next to the Bear Camp River . . . but we won't be returning.

Come join us this coming weekend at Mi-Te-Jo's Rally http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=376.0......I can guarantee you won't have the same experience and Gary, the owner, will not stand by idly if it does occur.

NHeer

3. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

Thanks for the heads up! Life is too short to put up with people like that. I can understand that the owner/operator can't always help who books a site, but to let it just be ignored and let it ruin someone elses trip is just plain wrong. Something should have been done by the management. I hope you find a nicer place on your next trip.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I suggest finding any websites where they are listed and writing negative reviews.

5. hammer1234

hammer1234 New Member

Thanks for the heads up. Would like to see more campsite reviews here...positive and otherwise.

6. IVBENS

IVBENS New Member

Thank you for the invite. I was hoping to make this rally, but with this past weekend and a 10 day outting in a couple of weeks, it didn't work out. My DD has a swim meet Sat AM in southern MA, but if we can make it up there I thought about stopping in for an intro during the pot-luck. We'll see. And yes, we did drive around and found another cg that we really liked, White Lake SP.

7. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

It's really a shame that happened, because we had a rally there last Columbus Day and it was both beautiful and very quiet as well as well-kept. I guess that during the summer we won't be going here. I agree on White Lake SP: it's a beautiful park and one of the nicest SP CG's in NH, though Pillsbury SP in Washington, NH is still my favorite because it's not one of the heavily used ones and off the beaten path in a quiet area.

8. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I agree, it's too bad your experience wasn't good. My wife and I have been camping there for several years now one or two weekends a year and have never had nothing but a beautiful, peaceful, quiet weekend. Dana and Laurie and their staff are great people, we have never had any issue. I wouldn't hesitate to go back either, it one of our favorite places to camp.