Tandem Wheel Stops

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by shelmily, Apr 4, 2014.

1. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I was wandering what everyone with tandem axles are using for wheel stops. I know some have made their own, but I would like to be able to lock them too. Anybody have any input or ideas?

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I just use chocks....put down one set pull the camper against it and place the other behind and locks it down just fine.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Don't know why you would want to lock a set of homemade between the wheel chocks..... About the only ones I have ever seen that can lock are the BAL "X" chock and a similar knock-off brand... but as stated on other sites and on the "X" chocks themselves, they are for added stability, not to be used as a park braking device... IOW, you still have to use some other type of chock...

4. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Yes, I use one of these: [​IMG] on my dual axle cargo trailer. It's a chock and anti-theft device as it can be locked to impede removal.

5. shelmily

Snow, I am not looking to use these as a parking brake, just using them to stabilize movement. Sometimes it is setup in the driveway though, and it would be nice to have yet one more theft deterrent in place. Not necessary, just a thought.

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I love the bal x chocks. Get 2 of them and use them on both sides. Makes a big difference and they are lockable. as far as them being able to keep a trailer from rolling the only way they can fail is for someone to not install them tight enough, or should the tire go flat. That being said I sometimes trust them to hold my camper in place because the likelihood of a tire going flat on each side at the same time is almost impossible . I can also say should something like that happen it would happen to me first. So if i make a post some day about my trailer being at the bottom of a lake somewhere you'll know the reason why.

Beamed straight to you from my Westinghouse AP1000 using Tapatalk

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Can't find the picture right now, but just had this discussion on another site, and a copy of the warning sticker was posted, and it clearly states, not to use the X chock by itself, as it is not designed to chock the wheel, but rather to stabilize things and reduce bounce..

X chocks can very easily slip out of place if you do not readjust them after the tires cool down and shrink.. I adjust my homebuilts the following morning after everything has settled over night, surprising how much extra cranking they take at times to snug them up again.

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I don't know, I have never found my X chocks loose even after using the trailer for 24 straight nights. I have never damaged a tire with them either. Lots of people have damaged a tire with them, or at least claim to have on other forums . Is it because the X blocks are bad? or because some people are morons and do not know when to quit cranking on a wrench? I have never used a torque wrench on a lug nut either. After around 20 vehicles and 10 trailers of different types I have never had a lug nut come off or a stud break. I guess I just like to disobey rules [:D] Actually I had five studs shear off once on a 71 Monte Carlo with a 454 when I got it going backwards 10 MPH, then dumped it in first gear by popping the clutch. We walked a few miles that night.

"warning labels" are typically something a corporate attorney came up with to protect a manufacturers rear end from liability. A Walmart bags says not to put it over your head, and my pickup says somewhere to never exceed the speed limit. Even the plastic triangle chocks have a warning label that they should not be used as the only means to prevent a trailer from moving. So I guess if I have x chocks and triangle chocks I still need something else. Maybe we should pull the breakaway and fire up the magnets the whole time we're camping, or remove the tires and sit the trailer on concrete blocks. Everything comes with some amount of risk.

9. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

^X2. How exactly do you damage a tire with them, I crank mine in there pretty tight and have had no issues

10. shelmily

Thanks everyone for the input.

Old_Geezer, I have a few of those "Monte Carlo" stories myself. I have had to walk on more than one occasion. [LOL] [LOL]