Tangle Lakes Campground - Paxson Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by generok, Jul 28, 2015.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I want to write this review because I want to keep this place a hidden gem that it truly is! This primitive CG is located on the Paxson end of the 133 mile Denali Highway, which is largely unpaved. If approaching from the Paxson end, however, the 20 miles of paved road essentially ends at the CG. Just because the road is paved, doesn't mean it is without it's challenges, mostly in the form of frost heaves.

Since you're above the tree line, there is little more than willows and low brush, but the CG is wonderful. They have 41 sites, about half are back in and half are eyebrow pull ins. All have a picnic table & fire ring/grill. There are VERY WELL maintained and cleaned non-flushing bathrooms. In fact, the CLEANEST I have ever seen in Alaska. The CG host was AWESOME at keeping up the place. The views are spectacular... you overlook Lower Tangle Lake. There are well maintained trails to the beach for fishing, and there is a boat launch there for going on the lake.

https://goo.gl/photos/nW9hNkNmSyBWMxEj8

The CG has hand pumped potable water but NO facilities for dumping at all. In fact, the closest place to dump is going to be quite a way back. It is unclear if you are allowed to dump greywater into the pit privy or not, so I chose not to since they were so well maintained. We found a dump site on the way home. The water is plentiful and good. The host sells firewood.

This is a remote CG, so there really isn't much around if you need something. There is a lodge a couple of miles away, and they do sell gas (no diesel that I could see) and some essentials, but they make their living renting cabins and running the dining room and lounge. Come prepared.

The BEST feature of this CG was the QUIET. And I mean absolute silence. At night, it was so quiet you could hear the loons calling from miles away. While we did have one camper who insisted on running their genny for 8 hours (while they left it unattended with a barking dog no less), we later found out they were charging their CPAP, and once they shut it off, it was silent again.

All in all, this place is NOW my favorite CG in Alaska over the Russian River. Fees in 2015 were $12 a night and they take US cash or US checks only.

By the way, the fly fishing for grayling was outstanding and just about 1/3 of a mile away at an ample day use area. We NEVER saw another person on the river, and caught many fish... that's amazing to me coming from salmon country. If there's a river in my neck of the woods you can drive to and there are salmon there, expect combat fishing... so this was awe inspiring to me.

Lastly, the Denali Highway rivals the sheer beauty of Denali NP. Except, there is essentially no traffic, no fee, no shuttle bus requirement, you can camp just about anywhere, and there is plenty of wildlife to see (if you stop to look carefully for it). So, while Denali NP is fun and all, I'll likely not go back and simply stick to driving the Denali Highway and do my own thing. Once you see the big mountain, the novelty wears off anyway.

But like I said, don't go here... it's a secret!

https://goo.gl/photos/zhHSs2PYvEfQvpPHA

https://goo.gl/photos/1UiFct6YWusKJWg5A

https://goo.gl/photos/pPxLjtfYNo5ixKzc6

2. ADK Explorer

ADK Explorer Member

I love this place. One of my fav CGs in Alaska!

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

2016 Update: Price is still $12/night. Facilities were still spotless. The new camp host was really nice. So, not much has changed from our 2015 visit.