Tank Leaking at Valve when Connected

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by mercman, Jul 8, 2012.

1. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Last week before our big trip I switched out tanks to a fully filled one. When we got to our site and set up, I opened the valve and heard and smelled gas. I disconnected and reconnected with no luck so we left it disconnected and valve off. When we got home, I switched out tanks with the BBQ one, no leak. Put original leaky tank on BBQ and it leaked there also. So I know the issue is with the tank and not the pup connection.
    The O-ring in the valve looks "smooshed" compared to the non leaking tank so I am thinking the O-ring is the culprit. Is this O-ring replaceable? Do I need a special tool or technique to get the old off and new on? and finally, is this a hardware store item or a specialty item from a propane dealer?

Thanks in advance!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Anyplace take fills propane bottles should have the oring because they have to replace them often because of all the use the filling coupler gets.

3. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Where did you get the tank? Was it an exchange or a tank you already had and had it filled. If it was an exchange, take it back and tell them it's bad; they should give you a new one.

If you had it filled, I'm surprised they didn't notice it was leaking. May be time to swap that tank out.

4. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

The tank is mine and is only about 4 years old. It didn't leak before the last fill up so my guess is it got "torqued" too much when being refilled.
    Any thoughts on how to pull out the old O-ring and put in the new one?

Thanks!

5. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Personally I'd just swap it out or take it to a propane station and see if they can fix it. My guess is that they'll just tell you to swap it out for a good tank.