Tarp or canopy for winter storage?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by jm88, Aug 28, 2021.

1. jm88

jm88 Member

I have alway kept the pop up in the garage but had to kick it out to make room for my new truck. This will be the first time it is stored outside and I know to seal up any openings underneath, vents, etc. Am I better off throwing a tarp over it, or buying one of those 10x20 tent open sided carport things that Harbor Freight sells for a little over $100? I just want to keep the rain and dirt off of it, as it can get pretty wet here in the Northwest during the winter months.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  2. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Going to watch this thread... I mentioned in another one earlier this week that my Carver cover which has been awesome and in use since 2014 is finally nearing the time when I should replace it... and they don't make them anymore. The covers others do make are essentially thin crap that people claim might last a season or two if you're lucky.

Surely there has to be a better way. I really would like a fitted cover vs a tarp, both from breathability reasons plus aesthetics and usability.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Carport canopy rated for at least some snow load. A tarp often holds the heat and moisture in and does not allow much air in. Some popup roofs specifically tell you no tarps as it can be bad to hold that kind of heat and moisture next to your camper. So ideally if you have the room and are allowed to store the popup in the carport. That will keep everything off the popup but still allow air to circulate around the popup. When finding a carport be careful that it could handle snow load if you live in an area with snow. Even then you may need to go out and push some snow off if it gets too much.