Tarp or No Tarp?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by JaycoCamper, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

That works because the tarp is not wrapped around the camper. Air can circulate over and around it.

2. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

The Quicksilvers have an attached tarp that covers almost the exact same portion. I'm still getting an ADCO cover with a Tyvex top to put over it for winter.

3. raymonk

raymonk New Member

I'm planning on putting several empty milk or one liter pop bottles on the roof of the pop up and then cover it with a plastic tarp. I'm not planning on covering the complete trailer, just the roof, and secure the tarp with bungee cords.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Didn't Fleetwood drop the 'no tarp' from their manuals when they got rid of A.B.S. roofs?

5. volkster

volkster Member

I'm going to set my canoe upside down on top of mine and then tarp over it with a cheep silver tarp.

6. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I kinda remember the big threat about the ABS roof and not covering it. I was one of the early "victims" of a sagging ABS roof and went through a grilling from Fleetwood ..."Are you sure you never covered this roof ...? - Because if you did the roof warranty is void!"

When I went with Starcraft with an aluminum roof and called their tech people to inquire about covering the roof they were kind of indifferent about it, telling me it would work best if there was some air circulation space between the cover and the roof; their first concern seemed more about damaging the roof's exterior paint job then and any kind of wretched mildew damage to the interior.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Is that a Jayco rule?

[​IMG]
    '93-'96 Coachmen Camping Manual

8. redfun

redfun New Member

Well the camping season is officially over for us, camper is winterized and put away for the winter. I had said to my DH that we should cover the camper up with a tarp but after reading things on here now I am not so sure what to do. Will it hurt anything if it is not covered? I was also wondering about the "little critters" getting inside...ie mice and chipmunks so I had thought about getting moth balls and throwing around inside to keep them away. Does anyone do this or am I crazy for thinking about them getting inside. This is our first pop-up and we are not sure what all we need to do to protect it for the winter so any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Deb from Pa.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yes, it could be possible for critters to get inside of your PUP. There are many, many posts here about the subject and they contain a large number of opinions on how to prevent the problem. Do site searches for things like mouse proofing, mouse protection, winterizing, etc.

10. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

I like Lbcarb's pool noodle idea.

11. dancing bull

dancing bull New Member

12. Kevindust

Kevindust Member

It's my first winter with my first popup and I covered it with a blue tarp before doing any research here... My dad, who has owned trailers for 30+ years, said to cover the trailer but make sure it can still breathe. Looks like his advice was sound. The tarp I used touches the ground on the sides but only hangs down a couple feet on the ends. I used small patio stones to hold down the side corners but left the rest of the tarp loose. Until the snow fell, the tarp was constantly flapping in the wind so I am confident that there was lots of breathing room. Now that the temps are below freezing, I regularly sweep the snow and ice off of the tarp and ensure that the ends are open to allow airflow.

I may be wrong but this sure seems better for the trailer than leaving it uncovered in Ottawa winter.

13. JaycoCamper

JaycoCamper New Member

UPDATE!!
    I started this thread at the end of the last camping season.
    I covered my PUP with an ADCO Tyvex cover AND a blue tarp over that. I did on occasion remove the blue tarp for a day or so but carefully watched the weather reports. When rain was forecast I would put the blue tarp on and leave it there. It was on most of the winter. I opened my PUP about a month ago and it was dry as a bone as they say. No moisture, no mildew. Everything was perfect. So for me that's the way I go. I had it down to where I could cover and uncover it in less then 5 minutes. A small price to pay for the comfort I had when it was raining.

14. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I started to cover ours last year with a regular tarp where we park it there is a pine tree and there is nothing more than I hate than cleaning sap off of the roof.

We have not had any problems with covering it but the A/C does keep it lifted up and I don't secure it overly tight.

15. RAGAR Family

RAGAR Family Member

Now that winter is over what about covering you're pup with a tarp between trips. Would it help keep the [SUN] suns UV rays or other dangerous rays from "cooking" the camper.

16. DanielL

DanielL Member

We only cover the top of our pup in the winter. During the summer, I cover the wheel that gets sun exposure with a wheel cover when it will be staying parked anywhere for more than a few days.

Happy trails!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. campermomx3

campermomx3 New Member

First year we used a tarp that just covered the top and everything was fine when we opened it the next spring. The next year we tarped the whole thing and when we opened it up the next spring, there was terrible mold all over the inside. There was no air circulating and it caused everything to be ruined.
    Bought a new PUP this year and it will be stored in the garage because it would kill me if the new PUP got moldy!!! That's my experiences with the blue tarps.

18. hammer1234

hammer1234 New Member

No tarp or cover on our pop-up for 2 winters...just make sure I get the snow off of the roof (had plenty of snow in 2011). No problems.

19. Appfan

Appfan New Member

After a caulk seam failure last winter I've started tarping our pup. I've put some pool noodles over the AC and at the corners where it may rub. The tent poles are available at "the big store no one likes to go to".

We get about 10 hours of sun and after 4 Summer months, the blue tarp split at the center seam. I've opened it up a couple of times and have had zero issues with mold. FYI - we keep damp-rid the pup as well.

[​IMG]