Tarp setup over pup

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by B.T.Brews, Aug 5, 2015.

1. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

Hi there. Anyone have any ideas how I might secure the center poles under the tarp to keep it from getting kick or bumped and preventit from falling down? I've got a total of 10 collapsable poles I made from electrical conduit, 8 of which I plan to use one the perimeter. The other 2 I plan to put tennis balls on top and use them to prop up the center like a circus tent. These are the ones I need to protect from getting kicked or bumped.

2. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's just me...but I'm slightly confused!
    You are putting a tarp OVER the entire pup??
    For what reason? Does it leak?
    Or by tarp, do you mean awning?
    Again, maybe I missed a previous post.

Melissa (& Greg too!)- ccptbo

3. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

No it doesn't leak that I know of. There are a lot of pines in the places that are local to me so I want to protect it from the sap. Not sure of you've seen one but it's a Quicksilver, so there's no hard top, it's all tent and canvas material.

4. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

And yes I do mean over the entire camper. It will also be an awning. The camper came with an awning but its pretty small and doesn't offer much protection.

5. travisma

travisma New Member

Until we got a secondary rainfly, I used to put a 12x24 tarp up over our tent. It sagged a little in the middle, but our tent had an external frame and it rested on the top where all of the poles were joined. This protected the tent and gave us a little extra area to sit under.

I used 4 poles, two at each end of the short end, and guyed them out with 2 lines each. I didn't have them at the outer grommets, I left sections on either side like wings. Those I used bungees and staked to the ground. So if you looked from the end, the setup looked like an inverted V with a wide bottom. I was going to run lines underneath the tarp from corner to corner so there would've been an X in the middle. Before I did that, we ended up buying our PUP, and getting a rainfly for the tent. Because of our sandy soil here in FL. I drove 3 foot lengths of rebar into the ground, left about 10 inches sticking up, and slipped the poles over the rebar.

I made my poles out of two different sizes of EMT. One slipped inside of the other. I drilled 1 hole thru the outer and different ones on the inner for adjustments. I epoxied bolts into the inner tube with the body sticking up had in the tube, and that's what I used as a pin to go thru the clamps.

I did find that the grommets in those "blue" poly tarps rip right out. I found friction clamps at Harbor Freight, and Shark Clamps at Home Depot. The sharks look like little shark shapes. There is a twist knob where their jaws are to grip the tarp, and a hole in the tail area to attach a line. The sharks has a better grip than the friction clamps and cost a little more.

6. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

Thanks for the tip on the clips, I'll definitely look into getting some. I like the rebar idea too, I have a couple of pieces in the shed left over from a sidewalk repair. They'll be the perfect size to slip the conduit over.

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

These shark clamps are also good for holding Gizmo on bunkhead roof.

8. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

Wow.. those look nice and simple and a lot cheaper than I was expecting. I take it you turn the "Fin" to apply tension.

9. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

You need something like this for the teardrop for your Quicksiler. It doubles as an awning.
    [​IMG]

10. Huntin4Pixels

Huntin4Pixels New Member

11. B.T.Brews

B.T.Brews New Member

Those ones look like they might be better for what I have in mind. The way the holes are oriented horizontally would accept the tent pole easier.

12. travisma

travisma New Member

Yes that's the adjuster. The other clamps I've used are small flat rectangles that are closed at one end and has a jaw at the other. There's a clip you slide towards the jaw end to tighten it onto the tarp.

http://www.grainger.com/product/HIGHLAND-Tarp-Clips-21T116?gclid=CjwKEAjwi4yuBRDX_vq07YyF7l8SJAAhm0rpvfJHQQi1h_nNqdUmL0KIHuY4dOaCjO4vgFmcDpGwYBoCwkvw_wcB&cm_mmc=PPC%3AGOOGLEPLAA-_-Hardware-_-Hardware+Supplies-_-21T116&ef_id=VYF5ZQAAAIbO6mb1%3A20150806114449%3As

13. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain New Member

I do the same thing with my pop-up(the tarp) for reducing mess, heat and of course rain. I have several sets of these mounted on the pop-up, also use them on my TT as well. Simple flashlight clamps.
    [​IMG]

On the pop-up I have them mounted on each side, one low on the body, one up on the roof. I slip a painters pole into each one, that way I can adjust the overall height. I also have a set on each end, if need be I can snap in the painters pole and attach my tv antenna, ham radio antenna, wifi, whatever.

Cheap easy solution, I just used 3M double sided tape on the pop up, on the TT I screwed them in.