Tarping a pup

weirbt

Jun 25, 2012
OK, we are finally picking up the replacement camper Saturday and I want to tarp it to prevent future leaks. There will be a gap between the camper roof and tarp caused by the AC unit. Is this enough of an air gap to prevent moisture build up? I also use a desiccant inside the camper when not in use, should I set one up on the camper roof as well?

Praying for no more leaks in NJ.

JeepMama

Super Active Member
Jun 10, 2011
We need more details? Is this a brand new Popup? Why would there be a leak? Mine sits in my driveway year round without a cover or tarp and does not leak?

Some people put pool noodles between the popup and a tarp to enhance air flow.

cwolfman13

Super Active Member
Feb 9, 2011
Personally, if you're going to cover it when stored, I would invest in a cover that is designed for this specific purpose and forgo the tarp. I've seen people tarp and leave space for air flow, etc and still end up with issues and moisture getting trapped in one little section and rotting something out.

Just my [2C] but you've already made the investment in the p'up...what's an extra $100 or so to protect that investment properly. Check some of these out and see if they'll work for you.

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Covers-sf-RV_~_Camper_Covers-pt-Pop~Up_Camper_Cover.aspx

weirbt

Jun 25, 2012
Well the camper is now here and Thank you cwolfman13 for the web address you sent. I will definitely be looking into the covers.

@JeepMama - My pup was a '12 Coachmen Clipper that had two water leaks in the front storage compartment lid. Ended up destroying much of the wood in the camper. Coachmen has replaced that camper with a '13 clipper of the same model. I am hoping this one does not leak but I do not want to go through the same issues all over again.

vjlarson

Super Active Member
May 31, 2011
I'm so glad you have your replacement rig so you can get out and enjoy some of the summer that's left. Kudos to Coachmen for coming through with the product.

hawk232

Jul 19, 2012
i know this thread is a couple of weeks old,but here is some food for thought. i KNOW that must have been a headache to go through and deal with, and would not wish it on ANYONE. however, wouldnt your rather find out that your new camper has a leak now, while under warranty, then to cover it and 5 years from now find out it has the same leak your 12 had with one exception... NO WARRANTY LEFT!! [:O]

again, i am sorry you had to go through that in the first place, what a miserable experience!

weirbt

Jun 25, 2012
Hawk232 - You bring up a great point but the dealer has reassured me that they tested the '13 out with a garden hose many times once they received it and prior to my picking it up. I don't think they want to deal with me much more on this issue. After what we have gone through I do not want a repeat performance and have opted to tarp it. This is no only to prevent a leak but also protect it from all of the oak trees in my yard. Thanks for your input and I am going to garden hose test it myself a few times to insure nothing was overlooked.

Geistak

May 3, 2012
weirbt said:
OK, we are finally picking up the replacement camper Saturday and I want to tarp it to prevent future leaks. There will be a gap between the camper roof and tarp caused by the AC unit. Is this enough of an air gap to prevent moisture build up? I also use a desiccant inside the camper when not in use, should I set one up on the camper roof as well?

Praying for no more leaks in NJ.

In the paperwork with our Sedona there was a sheet specifically warning against using a tarp.

So I used a tarp... [:D]

Actually, the UK has been *very* wet this year - rain, after rain, after rain, after....well, you get the picture. I think that the heavy duty plastic (non-breathable) tarp that I bought has been the best investment I've made - Coleman's dire warning, notwithstanding.

We have an A/C unit on the back, and a roof box (similar height to the A/C) on the front. The tarp goes over the two units, which leaves decent gap underneath. I also leave the trailer unlatched, with a slight gap between the roof & sides. The tarp covers the gap, but still (I assume) allows some ventilation to the interior.

One mod I made was to add some floor ventilators/gas drop outs. These are an EC requirement on all modern caravans, and (unusually for EU regulations) are sensible, as they allow heavier-than-air propane to fall out of the trailer in the event of a leak.

I was a bit surprised that US regs don't require something similar.

Anyway, with all the ventilation i have no worries about interior condensation using the tarp - and with all the rain (it's raining even as I type!) I'm happier knowing that everything is protected.