Tawas Point State Park - very nice!

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by MIlover, Sep 12, 2012.

1. MIlover

MIlover Member

Hello,

DH, DD and I recently camped in Twas Point State Park, which is in Tawas MI (on Lake Huron). It is a very nice park! It's not huge like some, but the campsites are spacious, grassy and level. The trees provide shade but aren't overly thick or tall. The campground is within very easy walking distance (via a trail) to the beautiful Tawas Point lighthouse and there is swimming on either side of the point in a shallow, sandy bay or on Lake Huron. Also, it is the nicest beach I have seen on Lake Huron! It's not rocky or gravel-like, as some of the east-side beaches can be. Rather, it's very soft sand! There are a couple of playgrounds for kids and also a stocked fishing pond for catch and release. Firewood is delivered daily to the check-in station, and the park rangers were friendly.

While we didn't stay long enough to walk in downtown East Tawas, we've heard there are many nice shops. Additionally, there are other parks/beaches in the downtown area.

Overall, it is a very nice park and we wouldn't hesitate to go back!

2. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

We have camped at Twas allot over the years yes it is a great park to camp at more setup for big rigs but still nice the small beach is great to set and watch the sun go down over the Saginaw Bay and the water there is nice and shallow for the kids and like you said a small walk across the sand and your at the light house and the State park. It is a long walk into town but by bike it a nice ride. If anyone wants to check it out there is a site online called Michigan Undercover and has a great review about the area. The theater is down town and the bars and laundry mat are nice and don't forget to go to Jerry's for pizza. There is a bowling alley and a Walmart's in town on the road in the gas station is always lower cost then most. Glad you had a good time.

3. bropaul

bropaul New Member

We camped there the weekend after Labor Day, 2011. Our nephew was participating in a half iron man competition in Tawas and they were camping there. Since DH had recently retired, we decided to check it out. Now, we have visited several SCG's in the past and not been impressed with the facilities. Tawas Point's looked NEW! The individual showers and toilet areas were cleaned every morning. Our site was near the cabins at the point, with pup facing south we were able to watch the sun rise over the lake and the most awesome sunsets over the bay. We had a reservation for 5 days (Thurs. thru Mon.) but extended it two more days because we didn't want to go home!!! We had such a great time, we returned this year for the same week. To our surprise they had added a DOG BEACH this spring. Our Alex (3 yr old, boarder collie/spaniel rescue) met many new friends on the beach. According to the office staff, this is the first of its' kind in the MI SP system. We met many wonderful campers, some there for the ladies softball championship, others for the iron man... but there was also a sailboat regatta in the bay that week and sail boarders on the point (now that's crazy!!!). We will be making reservations for next year!

4. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Never camped there but drove through a couple of times. It's a little too open for our tastes but great for Great Lakes camping.

5. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Rhino, have you ever checked out Sawmill Point on the Au Sable? It is primitive sites but it really is our favorite. We were there the first week of October and it was spectacular! It got pretty cold... down to 27 on two nights, but we have a Mr. Heater. We have a small generator (super quiet Honda 1000) that we use to make coffee, everything else is propane or 12V. There are about 17 sites on the point all separated by 50 to 100' of woods. In '11 we got the last open site but this year there were only a couple other campers and we had our choice. Maybe that was due to the weather predictions but a little cold and a little rain have never deterred us in our pup! This is our 'must go to' place in October. We did see for the first time some beaver activity near our site. We've never seen raccoon's or skunks in the area but it is a little alarming when you hear a tree crash in the middle of the night!!! [LOL] They were several hundred feet away but still quite disturbing.
    Since Hale and Tawas were the same distance from Lumberman's Monument, we went into Tawas for gas, propane and supplies. We didn't get a cell service at Sawmill but our cousin did with Verizon. But we prefer to really 'get away'... no radio, TV or phones. Communing with nature is the best for the soul.

6. windsormark

windsormark New Member

DW and I went to Tawas Point SP on our Thanks Givining weekend what a beautiful park, not that busy and the beaches looked great even tho we didn't go in the water (little to cold for that) but my DW said she wants to go back there next summer for the beaches. The restrooms were very clean, and the Light house was cool to check out. We took a drive on river run road and what great pics we got, if you have been to this park it's worth checking it out.

7. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Putting this park on my list for next season. Thanks everyone for the reviews!

8. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Anyone have any site recommendations that would fit a 30 foot trailer preferably near the water? thanks

9. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Melissa, any site near the point and cabins will have you near the water. We've stayed on 126 for 3 years, sites on either side are pull through. The bath house is close and you will have great views of the sunsets over the bay.

Diane

10. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Thanks so much, Diane. Always good to hear from someone who has been there in person. I would like to stay over there this year for a few days. Would our trailer fit?

11. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Melissa, we lucked out and reserved a site next to my niece, 'site unseen'. Site 126 was such a nice location with afternoon shade, we reserved it again the last two years. Our pup fits nicely with plenty of room (24' open). Sites 124 (full sun), 128 (full shade) and 125 (partial shade) are pull through sites and could easily accommodate a huge MH. I was not able to access the map on the ressie site but that could be because it is Christmas Day. But the new site will show you the lot size and has pictures of each site. I pulled out our brochure to confirm the lot numbers, although the scale is pretty accurate, it does not show the dimensions of each site. I'm pretty sure site 126 is approved for a 30' camper and I believe 54, directly behind it may be a bit larger but gets afternoon sun. We have A/C but prefer to be 'outside' or in our add a room and opt for some shade. There always seems to be a breeze so we have never experienced many mosquitoes, but we've only been there the weekend after Labor Day.

I'll try to get the DH to post some of our pics to share.

Diane

12. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

You have to check out the new site reservation with the DNR it great you get to see the site on line and see what you are getting into. If you have any questions and have a face book account check out I LOVE MICHIGAN STATE PARKS it a forum site where people post pic and stories of their Michigan State park campgrounds.

13. jthomas124169

jthomas124169 Member

I love Tawas S.P. I've camped there many times.

14. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Finally made it to Tawas!! We are on Lot 139 right next to the bathroom and across the street from the mini cabins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sites are nice and grassy.

Love the lighthouse too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

[​IMG]